Options

I need your help

ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in Sports
I'm applying for a position shooting college football. They want to see an album of 20 pics all from one game. I have put together 3 of my best albums from last year, all with 20 pics. Will everyone please take a quick minute to look at all 3 albums and tell me which one you think is best? Thanks alot. The albums are at:

www.ErbemanPhotos.com/portfolio
Come see my Photos at:
http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Unfortunately I didn't have time to look at all 3. It seems the biggest obstacle you have is a lack of focal length. In the 1st gallery I would suggest replacing the following shots
    1) timing off, not sharp
    2) timing again - this shot might work if you could see more expression from the RB but as is, you can't so the shot doesn't work well.

7) too loosely framed and just not sharp
    10) Just doesn't work - too much dead space at top and distinct lack of emotion from the shot.

14) Doesn't work well because the only thing of interest would be the expression - which you can barely make out.

16) too loose - with a running back in isolation like this (i.e. not peak action) you really need close in detail - expression, sweat, muscle etc.

It's not that the above shots are necessarily bad. They may be OK to include in a whole gallery but I don't think they're strong enough because of either the lack of action or the lack of close-in detail. Again, I think your biggest obstacle to these shots not working was a lack of focal length. If you're not tight then you need action. If you don't have action, then you gotta be tight.
  • Options
    phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I'm applying for a position shooting college football. They want to see an album of 20 pics all from one game. I have put together 3 of my best albums from last year, all with 20 pics. Will everyone please take a quick minute to look at all 3 albums and tell me which one you think is best?

Do you have anything with no teams from Texas in them?:D

Overall, Tech/Baylor is your strongest work. Oklahoma is a close second with Tech/Texas a distant 3rd (and I really tried to not let the presence of two of my least favorite teams influence that decision).

Nice work there. Good luck!
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I'm applying for a position shooting college football. They want to see an album of 20 pics all from one game. I have put together 3 of my best albums from last year, all with 20 pics. Will everyone please take a quick minute to look at all 3 albums and tell me which one you think is best? Thanks alot. The albums are at:

www.ErbemanPhotos.com/portfolio
    For me they are all good but each has some advantages and disadvantages.

1. Texas Tech vs. University of Texas
    Good stuff I like - The mascot, some of the fans, and I like the action in #18
    Downside - Not as many faces with ball and action as the others. Also the trailing defender in #4 is close enough it may have been better if he was in focus too.

2. Texas Tech vs. Baylor
    Good - LOTS of good action with faces and the ball, really cool touchdown reach in #15 also like the players taking the field in #18
    Downside - Doesn't really show much of the feel around the game as the others.

3. Tech vs. OU
    Good - This is more in between the other two sets with both activities on and off the field. Nice tackle in #7 and player shots in #12 and #17 (even w/helmet clip). I like the fans in #13.
    Downside - Not quite as good of faces/ball/action as in the second set. A few shots like as in #15 and #18 (and maybe wall in #20) would be better if the goal posts were horizontal.. But the main thing I don't like is there is RED everywhere - Just a personal thing from a Tarheels fan! rolleyes1.gif

For me I would rank them as:

First - 2. Texas Tech vs. Baylor
    Second - 3. Tech vs. OU
    Third - 1. Texas Tech vs. University of Texas

Good Luck with your decision,
    Andy
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2009
    Wow, 29 views and 3 replies. That's quality right there. Thank you to the few that replied. Luckily I posted this on several forums where folks actually are participants in the forums not just bystanders.
    Come see my Photos at:

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Russ, the link takes me to a "Protected Gallery".
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    JESTER wrote:
    Russ, the link takes me to a "Protected Gallery".

Me too.
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    tdinardotdinardo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Me too.

All three links are busted Russ.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    Wow, 29 views and 3 replies. That's quality right there. Thank you to the few that replied. Luckily I posted this on several forums where folks actually are participants in the forums not just bystanders.

I guess you expected people to have time to carefully examine all three albums and post meaningful comments within a few hours. Sorry. No can do.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:

You posted this exactly an hour and a half after your original post?

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    kiz5kiz5 Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Still locked.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2009
    I posted this on 4 different forums, so between all four, I got the answer I needed. I needed to apply on Friday. So around 3:00, I shut it down and made my decision. Those of you that eventually tried to help, I appreciate it.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited August 2, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    Those of you that eventually tried to help, I appreciate it.

Why are you giving such a negative attitude on this?

Most sites, I've found the average reply:view to be around 1:12 for normal photo posting. When you're asking for a critique, you can't expect that to stay at the same rate. 1 in 25 giving critique is a rate that is far better.

You really can't give off such a negative vibe like this to the small communities of photographers. You're setting yourself up for future negativity, and most likely, less responses. Just saying.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2009
    kiz5 wrote:
    Why are you giving such a negative attitude on this?

Most sites, I've found the average reply:view to be around 1:12 for normal photo posting. When you're asking for a critique, you can't expect that to stay at the same rate. 1 in 25 giving critique is a rate that is far better.

You really can't give off such a negative vibe like this to the small communities of photographers. You're setting yourself up for future negativity, and most likely, less responses. Just saying.

I'm negative about it because it bothers me. Oh don't worry about me getting less responces to my posts as I will not be posting near as much on here.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    tdinardotdinardo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I'm negative about it because it bothers me. Oh don't worry about me getting less responces to my posts as I will not be posting near as much on here.

Come on Russ. You can't expect immediate critique responses. It's just not realistic. If you want folks to take the time and give you well thought out responses that give you value, you need to allow at least 2-3 days. If you needed the response on Friday, you should have been posting on Monday to ensure that folks had enough to look at the images and digest their thoughts and reply back, rather than posting Friday morning and expecting everyone to drop what they're doing and focus on your feedback request on your timeline. FWIW, I rarely post a critique on the first viewing. I like to look at the images and think about them a bit, then go back for a second look and provide feedback (usually within 24 hours or so).

If you have a situation where you need immeditate feedback, I'd highly suggest that you PM 2-3 folks whose opinions you value. You'll be more likely to hit your deadline that way.

Don't stop posting here. Your input on the forum is valued. Go have a beer, take a deep breath, and come back tomorrow. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:

Disappointing response. And, I don't mean just on here. I recognize the screenname, and am familiar with your thread on SS about being happy with working as a slave.

Welcome to the sport photography business. Here's hoping you realize you're making a mistake by not posting on Dgrin.
  • Options
    phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I'm negative about it because it bothers me.

You're being a bit thin-skinned here. There was nothing in your original post to suggest you were on a tight deadline. That's not a small detail, and you need to clearly state that sort of thing. Get used to it....if you want to get beyond being a talented amateur and go pro you'll have to get used to clearly stating and understanding your expectations, and those of the client. Work on it.
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Sorry I didn't get to check out your images because for some of us, life just gets in the way. I had a FUNERAL to attend Friday. I think that takes preference over a lot of other things.
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I posted this on 4 different forums, so between all four, I got the answer I needed. I needed to apply on Friday. So around 3:00, I shut it down and made my decision. Those of you that eventually tried to help, I appreciate it.

I hope you continue to post. I've really enjoyed your motocross stuff.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Russ,

I gotta say, your attitude in this post is disappointing. If you want to be successful as any kind of businessman you've got to show more professionalism in public. I've mentioned this in several threads over the last couple years - a photographer's (or any professional) behavior and attitude will often do more for their success or failure than their photography skills.

The truth of the matter is you did not indicate in your original post you needed feedback that day. That seemed to be the gist of your latter posts. And then after your post chastising people for not responding you locked the remaining gallery - without notifying people in this thread.

So really the problem here is you communicated poorly. You didn't indicate your initial need. You posted an ill-advised post that came across as childish and then the gallery lock without notification. Which again comes across like "fine, you won't comment then I'm taking my pictures with me and going".

Hopefully you'll look back thru this thread with clear eyes and see where a number of us are coming from.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Russ, cmon, you know better. I'm the guy that posts that we could do a better job commenting, that 0 reply posts are embarrassing.

Expecting a 1.5 hr turn around? Need to lower your expectations. Expect everyone that looks (views) to respond? Again, your expectations are to high.

Many people would not feel comfortable commenting on the technical ability and the portfolio of a Sports Shooter member.

Like johng says, I hope you reconsider, and I hope you continue to post here to help out the next wave of DGrin 'togs....

I, for one, would like to see the pics...
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 3, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:

I'm sorry you don't feel an hour and a half is "good enough". I know for me, looking at a gallery of photos is very different than looking at a single photo--it takes time. Especially when you ask for a review of 60 images.

You got three thoughtful replies. Maybe you'd have been happier with 29 "nice shots" replies ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    Wow, I guess I needed to post my question on Monday morning. I'm getting all kinds of replies. Yes, I flew off the handle a bit on Friday. I rarely ask anything of anybody and give advise alot on here and for me to ask a question that required such a simple answer as OU, Texas, or Baylor. I really didn't feel as if that were too hard. I didn't ask for C&C of any of the pics. I just wanted to know which album was the best. I left it open till about 3:30 my time because I leave work at 4. So, I left it as long as I could. It was far more than 1.5 hours. Also, I didn't lock the albums as if I were taking my toys and going home. These were the instructions from the job posting. We were to put an album on our site and password protect it and forward the link and password with the application. So, don't read more into that then what was really there. Yes, apparently I should have made it very clear that I need feedback soon. I simply didn't expect people to look at the albums and then disregard my question. I understand a bit more about what folks were complaining about awhile back when they would post pics and have nobody comment. I didn't need any pat on the backs just for feedback. I guess I simply expected too much from my fellow Dgrinners. Out of all of the forums that I post on, I have the most respect and appreciation for the members of this forum. Oh well, lesson learned.

Hopefully good will come from this dibacle. Those of you who just sit back and read posts and look at pics but choose not to participate, you would make this forum a better place if you actually participated. That is what makes a forum work. People from all over with so many different points of views give feedback. So, I do appologize for my cheese sliding of my cracker for a bit on Friday. I applied for the position but haven't heard anything and honestly don't expect too, but I know if I don't pursue photography positions, they won't pursue me. So, I had to take a shot at it. I expect my pics to be better this year as last year was my first at shooting football and was a learning experience. I have also since purchased a D700 when I had a D300 last year. So, I should do better this year. Anyway, I'm rambling on and on now. I'm just in a good mood as I purchased a new dirt bike last night. Here are a few pics of it. BTW, the seller took these pics not me.

609667238_iqsbE-XL.jpg

609667228_cJBxs-XL.jpg
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    I accept your apology and agree that more should participate but don't forget that not everyone who views your stuff may be a registered user--not registered == can't post. As an example, there are 111 registered and 400+ unregistered viewers at this moment.\

Good luck with your submission.

Nice bike. I just picked up a new KTM myself thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I accept your apology and agree that more should participate but don't forget that not everyone who views your stuff may be a registered user--not registered == can't post. As an example, there are 111 registered and 400+ unregistered viewers at this moment.\

Good luck with your submission.

Nice bike. I just picked up a new KTM myself thumb.gif

Ahhhh, crap I didn't realize that. I had no idea unregistered folks look at the forums. :bash

KTM, what the heck is that thing doing with freaking blinkers and mirrors?
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:

KTM, what the heck is that thing doing with freaking blinkers and mirrors?
    It's plated thumb.gif

Mirrors come off with a twist. I replaced the fender with one from SiCass Racing. No more stalks on the back at least. With a plate, I can ride from my house to Santa Cruz on mostly dirt--40 miles worth.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    Wow, that's a trip!
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    Wow, that's a trip!
    We don't have much in the way of dirt. There are maybe three different OHV parks around here. There are some nice trail rides but those are a truck ride away--we mostly truck down to Hollister Hills though. Sitting on a dirt bike seat riding down the freeway sucks :)
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    I would be a bit worried riding down a freeway on knobbies!!
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I would be a bit worried riding down a freeway on knobbies!!
    No kidding. Esp ones that are pretty much barely street legal rolleyes1.gif I can do about 75 before things start to get uncomfortable and I sure wouldn't be doing what I do on my SM with those tires.