SmuggLr - for flickr, Phanfare, PicasaWeb, PhotoSite & Zenfolio refugees

Comments

• helfrezhelfrez Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Dead?
    I'm using the latest Firefox v.3.0.7 and just installed SmuggLr. Trying to transfer over individual folders from Flickr, some work, some don't.
    The ones that don't work are the folders that seem to have more than 50 images in them but none of my folders have more than 250 images so they are not huge.
    It freezes on the line where it says "processing images". If the folder has 60 images it will work across until it gets to image 59 then it locks up.
    No problems on the smaller folders...
    Any help would be appreciated...

I'm assuming the developer is AFK on this one. I have been waiting on an update for awhile. I have a ton of photos in Picasa I want to move, but it only exports 1600px images, not the originals.

Anyone around know the status of Smugglr? or any other alternatives for a picasa migration?
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 5, 2009
    helfrez wrote:
    I'm assuming the developer is AFK on this one. I have been waiting on an update for awhile. I have a ton of photos in Picasa I want to move, but it only exports 1600px images, not the originals.

Anyone around know the status of Smugglr? or any other alternatives for a picasa migration?

Hi Guys,

Sorry, I have been in the US, then on holidays for two weeks.

If people are having issues with Firefox, can you please tell me which version you are using ? Firefox 3.1 beta perhaps ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Andrew MaimanAndrew Maiman Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Sorry, I have been in the US, then on holidays for two weeks.

If people are having issues with Firefox, can you please tell me which version you are using ? Firefox 3.1 beta perhaps ?

Cheers,

David

The freeze on large albums is happening with the current production version of Firefox (3.0.8).

One thing that I noticed is that it opens an enormous amount of TCP sockets, that's probably what's causing the problem. It was enough sockets to completely overload my network connection and require me to kill the SmuggLr process before I could do anything else. Opening hundreds of simultaneous threads is not a good idea, the program should attempt to complete multiple actions on a single connection, instead.

It's not an add-on conflict, the same behavior occurs on a clean Firefox profile with no other add-ons. I'm not on dialup, either, I have a high-speed cable connection that normally handles whatever I can throw at it. When the massive number of sockets are open, the actiivty lights on my cable modem/router don't blink, meaning it's opening more sockets than Windows can handle.
    edited April 5, 2009
    The freeze on large albums is happening with the current production version of Firefox (3.0.8).

One thing that I noticed is that it opens an enormous amount of TCP sockets, that's probably what's causing the problem. It was enough sockets to completely overload my network connection and require me to kill the SmuggLr process before I could do anything else. Opening hundreds of simultaneous threads is not a good idea, the program should attempt to complete multiple actions on a single connection, instead.

It's not an add-on conflict, the same behavior occurs on a clean Firefox profile with no other add-ons. I'm not on dialup, either, I have a high-speed cable connection that normally handles whatever I can throw at it. When the massive number of sockets are open, the actiivty lights on my cable modem/router don't blink, meaning it's opening more sockets than Windows can handle.

To reduce the number of concurrent threads, in the address bar type about:config, then in the filter box type smugglr. Then depending on the service you are transfering from, double-click the record and reduce the number.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • helfrezhelfrez Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    To reduce the number of concurrent threads, in the address bar type about:config, then in the filter box type smugglr. Then depending on the service you are transfering from, double-click the record and reduce the number.

Cheers,

David

3.07 and 3.0.8 here. For me it seems to grab everything, its just not pulling the original size images. All images are coming across with the large size (1600x). I have 32 albums at 4.5gb. Max album size is 257 images.

Which is why i had to get off of picasa lol, way to expensive compared to Smugmug.
    edited April 5, 2009
    devbobo wrote:

Cheers,

David

It was set to ten. I'll try one. (It had more than 10 open before, I think, though, I'll try monitoring with TCPView).

Site's in read-only mode now...Maintenance issue? I'll try again later.
    edited April 5, 2009
    It was set to ten. I'll try one. (It had more than 10 open before, I think, though, I'll try monitoring with TCPView).

Site's in read-only mode now...Maintenance issue? I'll try again later.

I assume you are using flickr...unfortunately because of the way their api is structured (and depending on the options you select), I have to make up to 3 http requests per image to retrieve all the information I need...

- flickr.photos.getInfo
    - flickr.photos.getSizes
    - flickr.photos.geo.getLocation

So including actually uploading the image to SmugMug, that's up to 4 http requests per photo...I agree that it is kinda excessive but flickr don't provide a way afaik to retrieve all the info I need in one request.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited April 5, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    I assume you are using flickr...unfortunately because of the way their api is structured (and depending on the options you select), I have to make up to 3 http requests per image to retrieve all the information I need...

- flickr.photos.getInfo
    - flickr.photos.getSizes
    - flickr.photos.geo.getLocation

So including actually uploading the image to SmugMug, that's up to 4 http requests per photo...I agree that it is kinda excessive but flickr don't provide a way afaik to retrieve all the info I need in one request.

Makes sense. I'll try setting the max to one or two, that should get it through. I'm able to use NitroDesk to migrate photos, so it is possible in theory (but that app was discontinued by the vendor)

Looks like I need to restart the browser to make that config change take effect, can't do that right now (have an upload going), so I'll try it later.
  • winstonwinston Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Hi,

Unfortunately I'm having same problem. Tried modifying the threads setting, but doesn't help.

Any flickr album over 50 pics (most of my albums unfortunately!) simply don't work.

I'm using FF 3.0.8 on Ubuntu Intrepid.

Oh, also tried turning off the location option, no help there either.

Cool app though. Wish it worked for me.
  • winstonwinston Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Just checked on FF on Windows (same version). No difference there - same result.
    winston wrote:
    Hi,

Unfortunately I'm having same problem. Tried modifying the threads setting, but doesn't help.

Any flickr album over 50 pics (most of my albums unfortunately!) simply don't work.

I'm using FF 3.0.8 on Ubuntu Intrepid.

Oh, also tried turning off the location option, no help there either.

Cool app though. Wish it worked for me.
  • JarredSPhotoJarredSPhoto Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 15, 2009
    Zenfolio issue with smugglr
    Hi all,

Recently trying to see how Smugmug is and wanted to transfer my photos from Zenfolio to Smugmug. I noticed on a few pages some said similar issues occured. Where after logging in you come to a blank page with no photos showing. I didn't see a response however. Just a PM sent. Any suggestions or a PM of my own ;-) thanks all for any help. Take care.
  • madramadra Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 3, 2009
    smugglr is so nearly a great tool, but i'm having one or two similar problems to those which other folks have mentioned before - with transferring my photos from flickr - and which dinnae really seem to have been addressed:

* the transfer completes OK, without error messages. but i find odd images missing from my sets here and there. no way of telling which images these are, without painstakingly going through nearly 50 galleries and comparing them with their corresponding flickr sets

* the order of the photos within each flickr set is not honoured when they're transferred to smugmug. that's not far off 3000 images in nearly 50 galleries i'd have to rearrange manually to get them back in the right order [as they were on flickr].

most of my images in flickr have no EXIF tags, as they've been post-edited in photoshop or scanned from old photos, so i cannae use any kind of date sorting. i need to preserve the custom ordering from the flickr sets.

any ideas what's causing these problems and whether there's a fix? i'd love to jump ship to smugmug from flickr [in fact this is the second time i've checked out smugmug, with a view to doing so], but i really cannae face the thought of having to manually rebuild all my galleries/sets, all over again. life's too short!
  • ericcericc Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2009
    madra wrote:
    * the transfer completes OK, without error messages. but i find odd images missing from my sets here and there. no way of telling which images these are, without painstakingly going through nearly 50 galleries and comparing them with their corresponding flickr sets

Same problem here. Ran smugglr on Firefox 3.1.x on Ubuntu 9.04. Had 129 files not transfer out of about 1150. No indication of what the files were or why they didn't transfer. Can't seem to find a log file anywhere.

I imagine if I run smugglr again, I will get the same results and twice the photos. Can we get some help, please, or at least a comment?

-E
  • madramadra Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2009
    ericc wrote:
    ...I imagine if I run smugglr again, I will get the same results and twice the photos...
    as an experiment, i tried running smugglr again on just one of my flickr sets. i did it three times and got three different numbers of photos that went 'missing in action'. so it seems to be a complete lottery.

on a more positive note, i did get an error message when running smugglr on a single set, but it wasnae exactly much use; 'xxx files failed to transfer' - no indication as to which ones they were, or why.

o well, my 14 day smugmug trial is almost up and there seems to be no answer to this problem. so i guess i'm just gonna have to learn to love that glaring white flickr background after all.

hasta la vista, smugmug!
  • papawpapaw Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Is Smugglr not supported on the newest release of FireFox? 3.5
    If not, why not, and when will it be?
    No tool like an old tool!
    papawsImages
    papawswrench
    edited July 12, 2009
    SmuggLr 2.9 is compatible with FF3.5
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited July 12, 2009
    SmuggLr 2.9 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 3.5.
    This is the message I get every time I try to install it.

Smugbrowser install just fine.
    papawsImages
    papawswrench
    edited July 12, 2009
    papaw wrote:
    This is the message I get every time I try to install it.

Smugbrowser install just fine.

Working fine for me, make sure you install the most recent version.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited July 13, 2009
    I don't find any later versions.
    papawsImages
    papawswrench
    edited July 13, 2009
    papaw wrote:
    I don't find any later versions.

you need to manually install from http://www.smugglr.net
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited July 13, 2009
    I tried that - that is version 2.8 and I get the same message.
    papawsImages
    papawswrench
    edited July 13, 2009
    papaw wrote:
    I tried that - that is version 2.8 and I get the same message.

Have you tried clearing your browser cache...seems you have an old version cached.

http://img.skitch.com/20090713-8kbqqhy9t7y8e7gicg4sn5k75g.png
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited July 29, 2009
    bump for new version...

- now supports restarting if a previous transfer failed or was aborted, SmuggLr automatically looks for existing images within the specific galleries

- flickr support has been optimised to use less calls and now supports collections for pro accounts.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • nyc27nyc27 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 3, 2009
    Looking for some help. I just upgraded from the trial to pay version of SmugMug and want to get all my photos off Flickr. I've tried several times to get all my albums transferred with Smugglr but everytime the tool "hangs" on creating the first album on the progress bar. I've tried mupltiple times and also tried just transferring a different single album, but the same thing happens. Any ideas?

Thank you!
    edited August 3, 2009
    nyc27 wrote:
    Looking for some help. I just upgraded from the trial to pay version of SmugMug and want to get all my photos off Flickr. I've tried several times to get all my albums transferred with Smugglr but everytime the tool "hangs" on creating the first album on the progress bar. I've tried mupltiple times and also tried just transferring a different single album, but the same thing happens. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Can you please PM me the details of your SmugMug and Flickr accounts so that I can take a look.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • bravidbravid Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 3, 2009
    I'm having the same problem as nyc27. I get as far as the status page where it lists what it's trying to move and it never starts.
    edited August 3, 2009
    bravid wrote:
    I'm having the same problem as nyc27. I get as far as the status page where it lists what it's trying to move and it never starts.

Hey bravid,

Thanks for the heads up, I've transferred nyc27's files...seemed to work fine for me.

I'm going to add some logging to see if i can work out where it's failing, I'll give you a heads up when I'm done.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • bravidbravid Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 3, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey bravid,

Thanks for the heads up, I've transferred nyc27's files...seemed to work fine for me.

I'm going to add some logging to see if i can work out where it's failing, I'll give you a heads up when I'm done.

Cheers,

David

Well, I'm not sure how nyc27 was doing it, but I was trying to use it in Firefox on Ubuntu. I ran it under Windows and it worked just fine. I wish I knew more about firefox plugins, but my guess was that it has something to do with linux.
    edited August 3, 2009
    bravid wrote:
    Well, I'm not sure how nyc27 was doing it, but I was trying to use it in Firefox on Ubuntu. I ran it under Windows and it worked just fine. I wish I knew more about firefox plugins, but my guess was that it has something to do with linux.

ah, that's good to know. I'll check it out on Ubuntu :D

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • meemaxmeemax Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 5, 2009
    Same problem but both with Windows XP SP3 and Windows XP 64-bit.

The thing is it worked yesterday (on both OS). I just had to redo it coz it stopped 1/4 of the way. ne_nau.gif After that, I doesn't go pass creating the creating the first gallery. headscratch.gif

Help please. Thanks!