Options

invoice template

emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
edited August 4, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm trying to develop a professional looking invoice and receipt of service, but can't seem to find any examples to base it off of and I don't want to forget anything. I just do portraits like seniors, families and maternity. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 1, 2009
    You might consider using a tool like Quick Books for your business. There are features and benefits that make conducting business easier.

It also provides you templates for the various business forms you might need or want to employ.

If you don't want to go that route, you could simply use Word or Excel to create a template. You'll need a line number, some quantity of units, a description and a cost. Toward the bottom, you need a box for tax, other fees and a total. QB gives you this and does the math for you :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 1, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    You might consider using a tool like Quick Books for your business. There are features and benefits that make conducting business easier.

It also provides you templates for the various business forms you might need or want to employ.

If you don't want to go that route, you could simply use Word or Excel to create a template. You'll need a line number, some quantity of units, a description and a cost. Toward the bottom, you need a box for tax, other fees and a total. QB gives you this and does the math for you :D

15524779-Ti.gif

and Word & Excel also both have installed template selections from which to choose.

• Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Check out the Microsoft website. You can download templates from their website and customize them the way you want.

Also Quickbooks has a free program for small businesses that also generate invoices.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    I'm trying to develop a professional looking invoice and receipt of service, but can't seem to find any examples to base it off of and I don't want to forget anything. I just do portraits like seniors, families and maternity. Thanks for any help.

I use paypal and they have some real nice invoice templates and they will save yur invoices as you design various different ones .....they are not anything fancy just a basic template.................you could build one there and then get a screen shot of it and redo with excell or some other office soft ware and have hard copies also.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 2, 2009
    thanks I'll check them out. My problem is finding one geared toward photography which is why I asked for your samples b/c i just can't seem to figure it out. Like how I would list a session on there and all that. And how you file them do you use numbers or just go by there names. The photo ones I have found are for commercial photography so yeah lol.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Take a look at Freshbooks.com. I've started using them for my business transactions and it's great stuff. Inexpensive (or free, depending on how many clients you have), sharp-looking, and easy to use. You can just add the products/services you sell to the list and they'll make the invoices for you (much like quickbooks would but easier and IMO better looking).
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    QuickBooks
    I am a Certified QuickBooks Advisor:

1. The Free QuickBooks Program is called Simple Start - it's very limited
    2. The invoices are very customizable - The best way to customize them is to use your own stationery to print them on.
    3. I have seen 1000's of invoices over the years. For photographers, keeping it simple is the very best. One of the best I have liked is a two part form that a photographer I know uses. It even has a model release in the bottom and some contract verbiage. When I set up her QuickBooks I customized that into her Invoice form and Sales Receipt.

If you are out in the field, will you have a computer and printer with you? Think about where and how you will issue it to the client.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Take off
    Take off the discount unless you want all of your clients asking for one!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    The invoice looks very nice! I agree with Kathy about the discount line. Also...
    An NSF of $35 will be applied...

That's not what you mean to say (it doesn't make sense). Are you charging $35 for returned checks?

There will be a fee of $35 per instance for payments returned for insufficient funds.

or

A $35 fee will be charged for any returned check.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 4, 2009
    Your $35 NSF remark is confusing.

Like others, you may want to change that from NSF to "any returned check".

And just to be sure, different states have different rules on returned checks. In California, if you bounce a check it might cost you 3x the amount or a minimum fee--which ever is greater. You should check your states laws on returned checks.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2009
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I also use Freshbooks...it has really made a big impact in my accounting workflow. Everything is so fast and easy, and I can also accept credit card payments through Google Checkout....very cool.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2009
    I also use Freshbooks...it has really made a big impact in my accounting workflow. Everything is so fast and easy, and I can also accept credit card payments through Google Checkout....very cool.

thanks i'll check it out.