Options

What lense do I want?

DavezwifeDavezwife Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 4, 2009 in Cameras
yeah yeah.. annoying newbie. My apologies.

I'll tell you my thoughts. You tell me if I'm nuts.
thanks.

Canon Rebel Xs. Fairly new to the sport. I shoot my kid, my dog... both of which move fast, and often in the evening. (get it, low light, quick...)

I have a nifty fifty and the kit. Fine. whatever.

I rented a 24-70 /2.8 L for a trip to Mexico, and now nothing is ever good enough.

I can't BUY that lense right now, it's too much money.

So I'm stalking a few used sigmas to tide me over. Another option would be a tamron, but I hear they are even slower to click.

any thoughts welcome. or do I just sit on my hands and save my $400 bah until I have saved up enough for the real thing?
thanks. I appreciate your wisdom.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited August 4, 2009
    Davezwife wrote:
    yeah yeah.. annoying newbie. My apologies.

I'll tell you my thoughts. You tell me if I'm nuts.
    thanks.

Canon Rebel Xs. Fairly new to the sport. I shoot my kid, my dog... both of which move fast, and often in the evening. (get it, low light, quick...)

I have a nifty fifty and the kit. Fine. whatever.

I rented a 24-70 /2.8 L for a trip to Mexico, and now nothing is ever good enough.

I can't BUY that lense right now, it's too much money.

So I'm stalking a few used sigmas to tide me over. Another option would be a tamron, but I hear they are even slower to click.

any thoughts welcome. or do I just sit on my hands and save my $400 bah until I have saved up enough for the real thing?
    thanks. I appreciate your wisdom.

Davezwife, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The best lenses are pretty expensive and easily make up the greatest part of a system cost. Sigma lenses with HSM motors are pretty quick to focus. Sigma has a reputation for sample variation in image quality from their lenses, so I do recommend purchasing from a reputable supplier with easy returns if necessary.

If the Canon EF 24-70mm, f2.8L USM met your needs then it might be best to save for what works for sure.

Do compare the Canon and Sigma 24-70mm, f2.8 lenses at the following site for a formal and controlled review:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/184-canon-ef-24-70mm-f28-usm-l-test-report--review
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/318-sigma-af-24-70mm-f28-ex-dg-macro-canon-lab-test-report--review
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    For what it is worth, I'm in the same boat.

Rented the 24-70 Nikkor, loved it. Bought the 28-75 Tamron, not so much. Am renting the 24-70 Sigma and it'll arrive tomorrow. I'll be sure to post impressions and pics if folks find that useful.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Tamron 17-50 2.8. It's awesome on my xsi - not noticeably slow (although it's a little noisier than Canon USM and L lenses), and the IQ is outstanding. I picked mine up for ~$300 used.
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I don't know what your budget is but...

I came here looking for advice. I have a Xti and wanted a good lens. It was recommended that I look at the EFS 17-55 IS USM 2.8. I bought one.

I might as well have bought a new camera! The difference was astounding and I am sooooo happy! The glass used is "L" glass from what everyone says.

My price from Adorama was $960 with 2 day shipping to Alaska. That is quite a bit cheaper than a comparable "L" lens but the quality of photos will be extremely close or the same. You might be able to pick one up used? How much are you looking to spend?

I posted some sample pics from a day at the park with my family. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=138036&page=2

Good luck!

EDIT: Just noticed that you have $400 to spend. My opinion....save up and get a used copy of the lens above!
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook