Options

Is it just me or is SM slow?

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited June 7, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Is it just on my end, or is smugmug slow as all get out right now?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Is it just on my end, or is smugmug slow as all get out right now?

it's not just you... unless it's internet related, and you are on the same hops as me (ny area)....

i'm sure it's just a temporary thing. time to go in the pool!
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    It's always just a temporary thing...but I always seem to want to upload stuff during the few times that smugmug has had issues. I guess it's just my luck.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    I even switched browsers
    but yes, SM is slow. It took forever for pictures to come in that it was slower than dial up -- and I was on dial up at my Mom's two weeks ago so I remember like it was yesterday! :):
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 5, 2005
    One of our subscribers, Rafael Nadal, came out of nowhere and won the French Open this morning and became the teen Idol of Europe with his dashing good looks. All hands are on deck here trying to cope with the millions of people pouding smugmug at once this morning.

We're really sorry for the slow page loads.
  • Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    One of our subscribers, Rafael Nadal, came out of nowhere and won the French Open this morning and became the teen Idol of Europe with his dashing good looks. All hands are on deck here trying to cope with the millions of people pouding smugmug at once this morning.

We're really sorry for the slow page loads.

URL (for us not in the know). These are the times you would kill for an XRAID and a rack full of Dual 2.3GHZ G5's with 8GB RAM and Western Digital Rapter drives.

Do we want to know what the bandwidth usage is going to be for this account let alone the cost for that? (scary thought).
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Well things seem to be ok now.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Mac Write wrote:
    URL (for us not in the know).

here
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    Mac Write wrote:
    These are the times you would kill for an XRAID and a rack full of Dual 2.3GHZ G5's with 8GB RAM and Western Digital Rapter drives.

Do we want to know what the bandwidth usage is going to be for this account let alone the cost for that? (scary thought).
    If we had an XRAID and a rack of mid-sized servers like that, we'd be killed all right. :D

We have dozens of XRAIDs and many racks of faster machines. On a normal day we only get a million unique visitors, but now that a new teen idol has been launched...look out. eek7.gif

Just search Google for Rafael Nadal and the first hit you get is the URL you seek.

100+ GB in the last few days, kept low by turning off external links, large images, etc.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Baldy ..you have come a long way from that opening page (a raven from memory) you threw up to the masses to debate 3 odd years back in Adv R !!

Those figures blow just me away eek7.gif

Gus
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    I've been in the computer industry since 1991 and I never get over my awe at what can happen with some good code.

In 1994 I hired a young tech support engineer from Iran named Pierre Omidyar. He asked permission to create a Pez dispenser collector's page on a company computer. We said yes. He got the idea to let people auction their pez dispensers to each other in 1995. He struggled to make a business of it for 3 years. I tried to help him find investors, but they said it was too much a flea market and Microsoft would crush them.

Finally an investor bit for $7 million.

He called it eBay.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    ebay huh ? Never heard of it....eek7.gif

Thats a great story...i bet he isnt still driving his '86 AMC pacer.

Gus
  • Options
    dawsondawson Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Still Seems Slow
    Any guesstimate of when a permanent solution to the slowness issue will be made?