Options

Monopod

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited August 10, 2009 in Accessories
I just spent $40 on a Canon model 100 monopod from my local camera shop. It has a ball head and a wrist strap. I know it's light weight but so far it works well for me. Im going to Brookfield Zoo in Chicago tomorrow to give it a real workout.
Here is the link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper%28ds%29&sq=asc&sortDrop=Brand%3A+A+to+Z&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=397&shs=&at=Brand_Canon&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

Comments

• Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    It looks like it has gotten good reviews and the price seems fair. Let us know how it does after a days use.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2009
    One reason I picked this monopod is the ball head. Most pods don't have that. If you want to do a vertical shot you would have to flip the pod up to the side or take the camera off the pod. Both options make the use of the pod useless.
    I'll post my findings tomorrow evening and hopefully some shots from the zoo.
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    captain78 wrote:
    One reason I picked this monopod is the ball head. Most pods don't have that. If you want to do a vertical shot you would have to flip the pod up to the side or take the camera off the pod. Both options make the use of the pod useless.
    I'll post my findings tomorrow evening and hopefully some shots from the zoo.

Can't imagine using the monopod with a little lens. So I would be imagining a tripod collar on the lens. Tripod collards rotate....
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2009
    My Nikon 18-200 has no tripod collar...I guess it's a "little lens".

Also, I can use it where the light is not so good. It will help with camera shake at slower shutter speeds. Yes, even with a "little lens" it will come in handy.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2009
    Shots from the zoo.
    The monopod worked out well for this trip. It's easy to adjust the height, the ball head works well and it's light weight. Here are a couple of shots right out of the camera...
    612031986_44GJE-L-1.jpg

611945843_kc4mB-M-1.jpg

612008127_E3fLJ-M.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    Can't imagine using the monopod with a little lens. So I would be imagining a tripod collar on the lens. Tripod collards rotate....

I have used monopods with 50mm lenses (when i owned one).....a monopod is a fantasic piece of equipment to save your arms and photos when it gets hard to keep the cam steady...ie in winds, crowded places.....it is a stabilizer....I even use mine as a walking staffmwink.gifwink at times.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I have used monopods with 50mm lenses (when i owned one).....a monopod is a fantasic piece of equipment to save your arms and photos when it gets hard to keep the cam steady...ie in winds, crowded places.....it is a stabilizer....I even use mine as a walking staffmwink.gifwink at times.......

I agree....

It can take a shot from sharp to RAZOR sharp even at shorter focal lengths.
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    I'll definitely have to consider investing in one of these! Looks like a great deal for those who want something sturdier than a Wal-Mart special without investing hundreds in a tripod/monopod and pro ballhead, etc.

Although, is it traitorous to be shooting a Nikon on a Canon monopod??? eek7.gif
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited August 6, 2009
    ... Although, is it traitorous to be shooting a Nikon on a Canon monopod??? eek7.gif
    All I know for sure is that it's a "tragedy" not having whatever works. Tripods and monopods are basic equipment that everyone should have. They translate nicely across different models and brands through (potentially) many years of service, making them a truly great photographic investment.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    I'll definitely have to consider investing in one of these! Looks like a great deal for those who want something sturdier than a Wal-Mart special without investing hundreds in a tripod/monopod and pro ballhead, etc.

Although, is it traitorous to be shooting a Nikon on a Canon monopod??? eek7.gif

That Siggy 70-200 is just screamin for you to keep a pod under it......:D:D:D

These are great monopods also......GIOTTOS P-POD.......THIS is a very slick monopod and yes I own one......use it constantly..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Upgrading/supplementing my Manfrotto 681 monopod...
    I like to use a monopod whenever it is convenient and I have been very happy with my Manfrotto 681 pod (which is the same as the 681B - only in aluminum color). Although it is wonderfully tall and extremely sturdy, the 681 has two flaws;

1. It is fairly heavy at about 1.75 pounds. An extra pound or even three quarters of a pound can feel like several pounds at the end of a long day walking and shooting.

2. The 681 is a three-section pod and since it is a long pod, it collapses to a minimum of a bit over 26 inches. This is fine for car travel but, it a bit inconvenient for international travel.

In choosing the replacement/supplement, I ruled out the wonderful GITZO models because of their steep price. I balk at paying several hundred dollars for a piece of equipment as simple as a monopod. I also, obviously, ruled out the "el-cheapo" models which are sold in increasing numbers on eBay. Nothing is more annoying than a tripod or monopod whose legs will not adjust properly or stay adjusted. Equally annoying is a cheap leg that refuses to close when so ordered. I also ruled out monopods which are too short for a six foot one man to use comfortably.

I ended up choosing a Calumet 8103, four section carbon fiber monopod which fits my needs to a "T". It extends to a bit over 63 inches which, when my Kirk MPA-1 head is used situates the camera at a very comfortable height. It weighs less than a pound and folds down to a bit over twenty inches. It opens and closes easily and securely and is touted by Calumet to support a thirty pound load. Even halving the manufacturers recommended maximum weight this tripod easily supports my 30D with 70-200mm f/4L IS lens and should do very well in supporting my 300mm f/4L IS on a 1.6x camera.

The Calumet tripod is not inexpensive but, at $140, is about half the price of an equivalent GITZO stick. The Calumet supports my camera and lens just fine and comes with a five year warranty. What else could I ask for?

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CK8103/

BTW: A neat trick with a monopod is to carry two twenty-four inch lengths of back to back Velcro material. I use these Velcro strips to secure the monopod to any convenient fence or upright pole; making it suitable for long exposures - If I can find the upright pole.