Options

How come when I do a search online I don't find my home page?

Malaxos1Malaxos1 Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
edited June 7, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I tried to do an online search for my name and don't get my smugmug home page. I do get the digital grin questions and also some things from other groups I belong to , but not the one that is most important to my business. Is it because I didn't get a domain yet? I am still trying to figure out what to call my site. Anyway, I would love for people to find me online...Dean
Dean Malaxos Photography
Margaretville New York (Catskill Mnts)
www.deanmalaxos.com
deansphotos@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    simon bennettsimon bennett Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    I tried to do an online search for my name and don't get my smugmug home page. I do get the digital grin questions and also some things from other groups I belong to , but not the one that is most important to my business. Is it because I didn't get a domain yet? I am still trying to figure out what to call my site. Anyway, I would love for people to find me online...Dean
    Hello... I'm not sure what the deal is with Smugmug - but you can generally improve your chances of ranking higher with search engines by doing a little background work.

Here's a good start:
    http://www.evolt.org/article/10_Steps_To_Higher_Search_Engine_Positioning/20/60390/

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=search+engine+optimization&btnG=Search&meta=

Good luck.
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Just a thought...
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    You don't have your galleries listed as 'private' do you? That would impact a search for them.

I usually just tell people to go to smugmug.com and search for me by name. Obviously, that's no help if you want people to be able to find you from 'out there'.

I'm sure someone with the answer will be by shortly...

Take care
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    Malaxos1Malaxos1 Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Thanks guys, so it looks like key words are the key (no pun intended). I have yet to decide on a domain name, but is that where the key works are placed? Or is it my smugmug key words?

Mongrel wrote:
    You don't have your galleries listed as 'private' do you? That would impact a search for them.

I usually just tell people to go to smugmug.com and search for me by name. Obviously, that's no help if you want people to be able to find you from 'out there'.

I'm sure someone with the answer will be by shortly...

Take care
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    Margaretville New York (Catskill Mnts)
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com