Smug Wallet - Iphone App

AunksterAunkster Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited October 10, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I downloaded smug wallet app to my iphone but i cant figure out how to upload pictures i take with my iphone to a gallery using smug wallet?

help please

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    I've asked the developer to post here for you, stay tuned.
  • AunksterAunkster Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    great because i have another question regarding delete.

When I sync a catagorie to my iphone how can it be deleted later on? it looks as if the only way to delete is to delete each photo individually?

Thank you
  • mattwrightmattwright Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Not currently possible to upload photos using SmugWallet
    Aunkster wrote:
    I downloaded smug wallet app to my iphone but i cant figure out how to upload pictures i take with my iphone to a gallery using smug wallet?
    Hi Aunkster,

SmugWallet is not intended to be used to upload photos to your online galleries at this time. SmugMug itself has made an app that is perfect for this, and free, called SmugShot. This is mentioned in the App Store description for SmugWallet to try and prevent confusion, but sorry if it wasn't more clear.

SmugWallet will let you download iPhone-sized photos from SmugMug and present them in your category/subcategory/gallery structure, letting you easily carry around your gorgeous SmugMug galleries without having to manage photos through iTunes. Please let me know if you have any further questions, and I can always be reached for direct support at support@midnightmobility.com.

Matt
    edited May 1, 2009
    coming soon!
    Aunkster wrote:
    When I sync a catagorie to my iphone how can it be deleted later on? it looks as if the only way to delete is to delete each photo individually?
    An update that provides this functionality was submitted to Apple 2 days ago and I am hoping it will be available on the App Store within a week. Currently you have to delete photos individually until version 2.0 is approved and available on the App Store. Sorry!

Matt
  • AunksterAunkster Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    thanks both questions were answered
  • twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Great Application for my iphone
    I just came across this app by chance tonight and was thrilled - love the idea.

While I loved the smugmug website version - this app takes things to a whole new level and really allows me to download all my photos to my iphone and show them off to others when I want to -

The smugmug Safari browser version was a bit too quirky and slow, due to the Edge or 3G connection to quickly locate a particular photo to show someone - thanks for developing this and thanks to Smugmug for embracing it!
  • MWWestonMWWeston Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Smug Wallet is Too Cool
    I love this app. Very cool idea and execution. One more reason to love SmugMug.
    edited May 22, 2009
    Thanks!
    MWWeston wrote:
    I love this app. Very cool idea and execution. One more reason to love SmugMug.
    Glad you are enjoying the app. I just got word that version 2.0 has been approved, which brings video support, the ability to save photos to your camera roll, a quicker way to delete entire galleries/subcategories from SmugWallet and more!

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    edited May 23, 2009
    Matt - I hope you will consider adding some type of 'guest' option - as I've told you in a separate email - I'd love to get this app installed on my mom's iphone - so she has all our family photos on it - but I don't want to keep my id/password logged in on her phone.

Hopefully this can be worked into a future update to the app - can only mean more money for you - will others buying the app...right?

I've got all my 18,000+ pics on my iphone now - love it!
  • MWWestonMWWeston Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Matt - I hope you will consider adding some type of 'guest' option - as I've told you in a separate email - I'd love to get this app installed on my mom's iphone - so she has all our family photos on it - but I don't want to keep my id/password logged in on her phone.

Hopefully this can be worked into a future update to the app - can only mean more money for you - will others buying the app...right?

I've got all my 18,000+ pics on my iphone now - love it!

I like this idea as well.
    edited May 26, 2009
    Matt - I took your suggestion as a temporary work around - bought smugwallet for my mom's iphone and logged in and just installed the 1800 family photos and then changed my smugmug password so she can't add any more photos - only took about 1.5 hours to download those 1800 photos on her iphone over 3G.

I've got 20,000 on my iphone and it is only using about 1.3GB - pretty sweet!
    edited May 26, 2009
    Matt - I took your suggestion as a temporary work around - bought smugwallet for my mom's iphone and logged in and just installed the 1800 family photos and then changed my smugmug password so she can't add any more photos...
    Nice, I think this is the best solution for the time being. I am not sure that it would be good to allow the app to download public photos from anyone without a login/password. It would also be a lot of work to create settings that would restrict usage of the login/password to only specific galleries.
    I've got 20,000 on my iphone and it is only using about 1.3GB - pretty sweet!
    Excellent! Is performance of the app still pretty good? I don't have quite that many photos to test it with. :)

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • jesseasijesseasi Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    mattwright wrote:
    Nice, I think this is the best solution for the time being. I am not sure that it would be good to allow the app to download public photos from anyone without a login/password. It would also be a lot of work to create settings that would restrict usage of the login/password to only specific galleries.

Excellent! Is performance of the app still pretty good? I don't have quite that many photos to test it with. :)

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility

Anyone notice that after downloading a few hundred MB of images for SmugWallet - that the backup portion of Itunes sync now takes forever? Before downloading images - the backup in itunes only took about 10 seconds.

I have 950MB of images downloaded to my phone now - and backup takes about 6 hours.
    edited June 25, 2009
    jesseasi wrote:
    Anyone notice that after downloading a few hundred MB of images for SmugWallet - that the backup portion of Itunes sync now takes forever? [...] I have 950MB of images downloaded to my phone now - and backup takes about 6 hours.
    Wow, 6 hours is pretty crazy! I have heard from someone else that after downloading a large number of photos, the next sync takes a very long time, but that it is a one-time thing. I am not sure what iTunes is doing when it backs up the iPhone, but it sounds like they copy everything from your device to your computer in case you have to restore. If you are connecting via an original USB connection, it could take even longer to transfer this data. I didn't think this was happening every time, however. Have you noticed it on repeated syncs?

Matt Wright
  • Jay_ZJay_Z Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Just a post to say, this app is AWESOME! What more can I say, this is the coolest app to hit SmugMug - take your entire website with you!

Finished syncing about 5265 photos to my iPhone which is using 332MB.

If you use SmugMug and have an iPhone - don't hesitate to get this app, if you don't have an iPhone, this is all the reason you need to get one!

clap.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    mattwright wrote:
    Wow, 6 hours is pretty crazy! I have heard from someone else that after downloading a large number of photos, the next sync takes a very long time, but that it is a one-time thing. I am not sure what iTunes is doing when it backs up the iPhone, but it sounds like they copy everything from your device to your computer in case you have to restore. If you are connecting via an original USB connection, it could take even longer to transfer this data. I didn't think this was happening every time, however. Have you noticed it on repeated syncs?

Matt Wright

Same here...VERY long backup times since downloading the app and syncing photos. Every single backup takes forever....
    E
  • derfderf Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I too love this App but I am having an issue. I have downloaded 15226 Photos to my phone but now it will not search for new photos...
    It goes to Logging in and then retrieving album info for about 3 seconds then the Iphone goes to the home page

I tried wifi and 3g only. I can access all the images on my phone, just not the Latest wedding I shot.

GREAT APP clap.gif Minor snag
    edited August 4, 2009
    I got it to download after after about 20 try's. Happy as hell!
    edited August 5, 2009
    I had that same issue - I have downloaded about 21,500 images, using 1.4 gigabytes, to my phone and my intial backup took forever, over 8 hours - let it run overnight - but since then the subsequent back-ups have been less than 30-60 minutes usually.

But worth the one time long back-up to have all my photos with me and access them so quickly - beats wi-fi and 3G for sure.

I only wish the gallery names would wrap and not be truncated for longer gallery names.
  • clousephotoclousephoto Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    derf wrote:
    I too love this App but I am having an issue. I have downloaded 15226 Photos to my phone but now it will not search for new photos...
    It goes to Logging in and then retrieving album info for about 3 seconds then the Iphone goes to the home page

I tried wifi and 3g only. I can access all the images on my phone, just not the Latest wedding I shot.

GREAT APP clap.gif Minor snag

I've been having this same problem. it's very annoying. I've got less than 175MB on there because I only dl the low res proofs other than pix of my son. I've thought about deleting it and reloading. Does anyone know a workaround for this? I can only try it at home since it's on an iPod.
  • probinsonprobinson Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Blossom
    Another alternative is the Blossom iPhone app.

Blossom takes a slightly different approach loading your photos as you browse them but it also caches those photos for fast access later. Depending on your needs it might be a good fit. It means you can always access your latest SmugMug photos and videos if you have WiFi or 3G available and it is very fast (faster than the Safari version).

And the next version, 1.4, will let you browse the photos of other SmugMug users or let your friends and family browse yours as well as letting you share your SmugMug photos on Facebook and Twitter from your phone.

Blossom is available here on the iTunes App Store
    Blossom - All your SmugMug albums on your iPhone!
  • gat1234gat1234 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2009
    SmugWallet currently broken for me
    I hadn't used SmugWallet for a few weeks, but I tried it this weekend and it wouldn't sync any new photos to my iPod Touch. It's still broken this morning. Perhaps the site update that happened recently has broken compatibility with SmugWallet?

Help, I love SmugWallet and need it working!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I'll add a 'me too' to this thread. I emailed the developer over the weekend because the app seems to be trying to grab all available images - not only those galleries marked for download - and doesn't actually download any...
    E
    edited August 25, 2009
    gat1234 wrote:
    I hadn't used SmugWallet for a few weeks, but I tried it this weekend and it wouldn't sync any new photos to my iPod Touch. It's still broken this morning. Perhaps the site update that happened recently has broken compatibility with SmugWallet?
    SmugMug released an update to their site that changed some
    undocumented functionality SmugWallet had been taking advantage of. I will release a patch to Apple in the next couple days if it cannot be corrected prior to that. Until then, SmugWallet cannot download new photos at this time. Sorry for the bug and thanks for your patience,

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • jesseasijesseasi Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    mattwright wrote:
    SmugMug released an update to their site that changed some
    undocumented functionality SmugWallet had been taking advantage of. I will release a patch to Apple in the next couple days if it cannot be corrected prior to that. Until then, SmugWallet cannot download new photos at this time. Sorry for the bug and thanks for your patience,

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility

I was having the same problem. So I uninstalled smugwallet thinking it may have been corrupted.

Unfortunately smugwallet no longer appears to be on the app store.

Please do keep us posted. This was by far the best smugug app. All the others require you to have connection (3g or wifi).

Nothing beats being on a plane and being able to view your pics.
  • SilverphSilverph Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2009
    Another "me too" response. If I knew about this problem, I wouldn't have deleted all the photos on my phone!
    edited August 27, 2009
    Update send to Apple
    jesseasi wrote:
    Please do keep us posted. This was by far the best smugug app. All the others require you to have connection (3g or wifi).
    FYI, I have submitted an update to Apple that fixes the photo download issue and also provides some speed improvements and other miscellaneous bug fixes. It takes at least a week for them to approve an update, and sometimes longer. Glad you are enjoying the app (when it's working!).

Matt
    edited August 28, 2009
    I removed the software and was going to reinstall, it did not remove the data so I have 1gb of data that can not be removed. I also now can not reinstall because it is not on the app store any more. I am very VERY sad as I love this software and was trying to fix. I will NEVER COMPLAIN again. I would get an I phone JUST FOR THIS SOFTWARE!!!!!

My phone is Jailbroken so if there is a data file, I can remove manually
    any info would be appreciated greatly -Fred
    edited August 28, 2009
    derf wrote:
    My phone is Jailbroken so if there is a data file, I can remove manually any info would be appreciated greatly -Fred
    Hi Fred,

I don't have any experience with jailbroken phones, but if you can search for a smugmug.db file, that is located in the app's documents directory and you can delete that file along with the photos directory to remove the data. Normally, when you delete the app, it will delete all associated data.

Also, if you use iTunes, there may be a backup copy of SmugWallet located there that you can set to sync to put the app back on the phone. But it still won't solve the issue of photo downloads not working until Apple approves the update. Once the update is approved, the app will be back on the store.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    edited August 28, 2009
    Matt, Thank you for the very fast reply... it took a few minutes to a half hour to delete the data. It did do it but was using the phone and did not give it enough time. I will reinstall from my pc when I get home. Can not wait for the update and this version ROCKS, once again, thanks a bunch for the great app. Best App on my phone!

Edit, I downloaded it off of my pc but can not sync any of the files... I will eagerly wait for the update -Fred