Options

"Times Square, Night: RED!" : Street Shot New York

gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
edited August 13, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Street Shot: "Times Square, Night: RED!" ... (I didn't color it)...... 35mm film

617352785_gyhTA-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    gvf wrote:
    Street Shot: "Times Square, Night: RED!" ... (I didn't color it)...... 35mm film

Yup. It's a street, and you took a shot. And I guess that makes it a 'street shot.' But there's really nothing here that makes it a 'street photo.' Sorry.:cry
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Yup. It's a street, and you took a shot. And I guess that makes it a 'street shot.' But there's really nothing here that makes it a 'street photo.' Sorry

Right, I think I get your definition. I just call anything shot on the street, unless it's one really set up and planned in advance, a street-shot. (Like "country-shot".)
    I'll call this type (the T. Sqaure shot or the type planned) just by the name of the place - on this forum. And then what I'm trying to do as a street-shot - with context or a setting that has to do intinsically with the place itself - a street-shot/street-photo. Sometime on your comments, can you give a "formal definition" of a "street-photo"?
    Thanks
  • Options
    nxthreenxthree Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Personally, I think the goal of a "street shot", "street photo", whatever you want to call it is to tell a story about someone or something. To convey an emotion, draw people in, evoke thought.

The picture above doesn't seem to do anything. There's no subject, no story, no emotion. It's just a picture of Times Square, and its red. It's the same thing any New Yorker has seen thousands of times.

gvf wrote:
    Right, I think I get your definition. I just call anything shot on the street, unless it's one really set up and planned in advance, a street-shot. (Like "country-shot".)
    I'll call this type (the T. Sqaure shot or the type planned) just by the name of the place - on this forum. And then what I'm trying to do as a street-shot - with context or a setting that has to do intinsically with the place itself - a street-shot/street-photo. Sometime on your comments, can you give a "formal definition" of a "street-photo"?
    Thanks
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    nxthree wrote:
    Personally, I think the goal of a "street shot", "street photo", whatever you want to call it is to tell a story about someone or something. To convey an emotion, draw people in, evoke thought.

The picture above doesn't seem to do anything. There's no subject, no story, no emotion. It's just a picture of Times Square, and its red. It's the same thing any New Yorker has seen thousands of times.

There you go. Add the idea that a good street photo might contain surprise, pathos, humor, or, best of all, abiguity, and you've got it. The best street photography evokes a sense of wonder, or a 'what the f#*'?!
    The earlier Times Square shot had that - this one ...? Sorry, but the comment above is dead on.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed