Options

why you should buy from a retailer and why you should buy the extended warranty

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited June 7, 2005 in The Big Picture
anybody see anything "wrong" with this picture?

flaws?

24068926-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    that looks like a hair
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Is that your hair dropping into the frame?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    that looks like a hair
    Jinx you owe me a coke... one, two, three....
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Jinx you owe me a coke... one, two, three....

(not my pic)
    Big_Coke_Bottle_and_the_Bridge.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    (not my pic)
    Big_Coke_Bottle_and_the_Bridge.jpg
    Cool, I hadn't seen that view before. I guess that's the Giants ballpark, what's it called, SBC park.

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2004/05/14_gordonj_sanfranpark/images/sbc1_large.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    7/2/04 I bought a new Canon A80 for $299 from Best Buy. patience had paid off, I almost bought it at $379, then they lowered it. Its a 4 megapixel camera, runs on 4 AA's and takes compact flash. the extended 4 year warranty was $60 large, and as I was financing it at %0 interest for 12 months I went for the extended warranty.

I started noticing the "hair" on the lens about 2 weeks ago. pondered it for a few days and then decided to clean the lens. duh.

it didn't help.

the bikini tank wash pics from this past saturday June 4 still showed the hair.

darn I thought it would just go away...
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    amadeus wrote:
    flaws?
    Those legs are rather unattractive if you consider that a flaw.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    so I figured, lets go to Best Buy (not the one I bought it at) and see what the deal is.

I go in there, no receipt, no original box, etc etc, just the camera. explain the situation.

"can you guys fix it here, just pull that lens oof and clean it"

"nope, its gotta be sent out, take about 2 weeks"

"darn I can't live without my digicam" thought I.

so he starts pulling up my warranty, checks a few things in the computer. tells me Canon/Best Buy no longer service the A80. I get $299 towards the purchase of a new camera.

So, there sits a Canon A95, same body, compact flash, 4AA's and 5, count them 5 megapixels. I don't even have to learn how to use it. Its just a newer version. 15 minutes later, sign here, sign here. I leave Best Buy with my old compact flash card, my old rechargeable batteries, and a brand new Canon A95. I ask the guy, what do I have to do to get an extended warranty on the new one. He tells me I've already got one. If this thing breaks a year from mow and the A95 is extinct, I get another new camera. I'm still covered for 3 more years. Go ahead save $40 and buy one on EBay "refurbished".

Dizave bought a Nikon on Ebay once and:

It never worked. never. He never got a cent back from the "camera store" he bought it from. Friends, these things are wonderful devices. They are also delicate. They are also stamped out like Beef and Brocolli combos at The Great Wall chinese restaurant down the street from you, me or even Andy.

Canon DOES NOT CARE about the replacement cost. be smart like me.

So, in 45 minutes time I've goteen good news, picked out a new camera and walk out with the goods. I'm so smart it kills me.

So I'm riding home on my motorcycle, and get on the 4 lane interstate I84, that takes me from Dutchess to Orange County across the mighty Hudson, thinking about how smart I am for wisely buying extended coverage, and I realize I'm now doing 65 mph and its getting a little breezy, and I zip up my First Gear mesh summer jacket, and as my left hand zips the zipper up to my neck region, it pushes up my one and only pair of glasses that were hanging in the vneck of my stylish Greg Norman golf shirt, up and out of the shirt and jacket and into my hand, and Im now sitting there riding one handed on the 4 laner that takes me home across the mighty Hudson, holding onto my one and only pair of glasses wondering how I can unzip my jacket with no hands since one was holding the glasses and one was operating the motor vehicle. a Kodak moment. live and learn.

so be forewarned. I am now armed with 5 megapixels and I ain't afraid to use them.