Options

Are there any Canon 40D's left out there?

macmasseymacmassey Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited August 15, 2009 in Cameras
:dunno I am wanting to upgrade to a DSLR after nearly 4 years with a Panasonic Lumix FZ20. While not a DSLR, it’s a great camera and with its fully manual capabilities has been a great learning experience for me. I have spent a lot of time researching what’s out there, balancing features and price against the various reviews and decided to go with a Canon EOS 40D. I realize that I am coming late to the 40D party and they don’t seem to be available any longer, at least not new. Several outlets told me they no longer stock them and Amazon has twice jacked up the price of the ones they have left by $100 each time. Price gouging anyone? I know the 50D is out there but the reviews have really been mixed and with the $300 price difference of the 40D, I could get a better lens. Any ideas are greatly appreciated or even any convincing that the 50D really is a good camera. Thanks in advance. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Comments

• Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Plenty to be had used - with low shutter counts. I just bought one 2 weeks ago at a really decent price off of POTN.

ne_nau.gif
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited August 14, 2009
    Adorama has refurbished units with a 1 year Adorama warranty. You could purchase an extended third-party warranty to give you more coverage than the original manufacturer warranty if you wish.

http://www.adorama.com/ICA40DR.html?searchinfo=refurbished+40d
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Check with San Jose Camera (www.sanjosecamera.com) they still have 'em on their web site so you never know what they actually have in inventory?
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I bought two off Craigslist awhile ago for $750 a piece. I'm sure they are probably somewhat easy to locate.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    I bought two off Craigslist awhile ago for $750 a piece. I'm sure they are probably somewhat easy to locate.

Not a bad idea, thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    du8die wrote:
    Plenty to be had used - with low shutter counts. I just bought one 2 weeks ago at a really decent price off of POTN.

ne_nau.gif

As I had mentioned to someone else, I'm going to try my darndest to find a new one but to be honest, I hadnt' thought about getting a used one, so thanks for the idea.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Adorama has refurbished units with a 1 year Adorama warranty. You could purchase an extended third-party warranty to give you more coverage than the original manufacturer warranty if you wish.

http://www.adorama.com/ICA40DR.html?searchinfo=refurbished+40d

Thanks for the idea on that. It would ease my mind some getting a used one if there were an available warranty.
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    I have gotten good refurbs, i would trust a camera store where you can test and return if it does work. I dont thingk you can do that at craigs list.