michswiss wrote:
    613844007_8EMry-L.jpg

Good shot. But it doesn't say "street," or Shanghai.rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    So I take that the intent of this challenge is to eliminate context completely. I've attempted to follow your suggested naming format for the last several shots and feedback dropped substantially. If anything, I'd say this is putting a larger burden on the viewer. I think it would be a different experience if this was a physical gallery. I find that I tend to interpret an image differently when printed.

I'm not enamored of this particular image but anything else to comment beyond good shot?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Good shot. But it doesn't say "street," or Shanghai.rolleyes1.gif
    michswiss wrote:
    So I take that the intent of this challenge is to eliminate context completely. I've attempted to follow your suggested naming format for the last several shots and feedback dropped substantially. If anything, I'd say this is putting a larger burden on the viewer. I think it would be a different experience if this was a physical gallery. I find that I tend to interpret an image differently when printed.

I'm not enamored of this particular image but anything else to comment beyond good shot?

I wouldn't say that an untitled image places a larger 'burden' on the viewer, but rather it allows the viewer to take in the photograph without any preconceived expectations. BTW if B.D. had commented more than 'nice shot' it could have influenced feedback from the rest of the viewers.

Ok, here are my (unprofessional) thoughts on your image. A pleasing shot of diners (probably friends) enjoying a relaxing meal. I can see the outside of a building so it suggests a street photo. I like the way the bamboo poles frame the shot and also suggests an ethnic dining experience. Is it in Shanghai? I've never been there, but I would guess that (could be in the states for all I know!). But it doesn't really matter. If I need to know that, I can ask you. What I like about the image is the repetitive layering of the diners in the front (having a good time) and the people in the back (employees?) also relaxing watching the TV and the images of people on the screen. The layering effect keeps drawing me into the photograph. I also like the lighting and that one diner is making friendly eye-contact with you almost inviting you to join them. Would I change anything? Not really. At first I thought I would move in closer, but I really like the bamboo pole framing. A pleasant shot with more to it than meets the eye at first glance.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    michswiss wrote:

Actually, no - I like the group in the front, the unrelated t.v. watching in the back, and the bits and pieces of context at the edge of the frame. Okay, you could have worked it; gotten in closer with wider lens, waited until they ignored you. But hey, who's complaining?rolleyes1.gif

And the fact that there is substantially less feedback might actually be good - because if you go look at the substantially more feedback, you'll see that a lot of the feedback - to everyone's images, is really to the caption, not to the image.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed