Options

#31...I'm dogged....

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited August 17, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have been thinking about this theme all week and had a hard time coming up with any ideas. Then my pooch Shelby here gave me inspired me as she sat drooling and staring at me while I ate lunch.

Thing is...its difficult to shoot a dogs mouth while holding a treat in one hand and a D300 in the other.

I am leaning toward the second one. Was wondering if the first one would have been better to crop it tighter without the eye. Whats all your opinions? All cc is appreciated!

1. I ain't talkin'....
620136383_rz3BY-L-1.jpg

2. The Garbage Disposal....
620136222_PGQMv-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    #2... Love your lighting! Nice!
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    #2 is prime. DOF works.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Throwing my vote on #2 as well. I can almost hear the dog panting, even if it's not what it's doing. I like the frame of it as well.
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Yup, #2!! I can almost smell your dog's breath from this pic!

Super job, and this is a nice fit for the theme. Very nice lighting. clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    One more vote for #2! :Dthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    #2thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Yup, #2!! I can almost smell your dog's breath from this pic!

Super job, and this is a nice fit for the theme. Very nice lighting. clap.gif

15524779-Ti.gif... Nice job on the whisker detail too...

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    Thanks everyone! Not sure if I will get a second time to think of something as I am preparing for senior shoots...you know business before pleasure! I will go ahead and put the 2nd one in. Thanks again!thumb.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Beautiful lighting Joyce. Love itclap.gif
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    I like the second one for this challenge better than the first because the mouth is obviously open. However, in case you keep and use number 1 for something else (I would, I like it), I'd keep the eye in it. It helps orient and adds to the image, I think.
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Stole my idea you thief... get outta my head!

I like #2 as well.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    silversx80 wrote:
    Stole my idea you thief... get outta my head!

I like #2 as well.
    Now you all know why I try to be within the first few to get a pic in! The longer I wait the harder it is for me to be original!mwink.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Hi JAG,

I really like your entry - wonderful dog portrait with open mouth!

However, I don't quite understand why you titled it " Garbage Disposal"...

- don't you think it's a little unfair for this nice looking dog?... headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Hi JAG,

I really like your entry - wonderful dog portrait with open mouth!

However, I don't quite understand why you titled it " Garbage Disposal"...

- don't you think it's a little unfair for this nice looking dog?... headscratch.gif

ha! Don't let that sweet face fool you! She will get into the garbage can anytime we turn our back on her...and if she doesn't get it in ours...she will go next door and get into the dumpster! The "Garbage Disposal" part is that she reminds us nightly after dinner to take out the trash or we will be cleaning up bits stuff in the morning.....eek7.gif Although I realize the viewer doesn't know her temperment in the picture (other than the drool coming off her lip could be an indication of intense hunger or trouble...lol) the title sure does give a clue to it. Her mouth is most always hanging open to be fed...and seems I already had an entry a while back called "Feed Me!"...lol.mwink.gif
    And finally....life is unfairdeal.gif I get called alot of things that are unfair but hey...whats in a name anyway???ne_nau.gif
    Have a great day!:D
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    ha! Don't let that sweet face fool you! She will get into the garbage can anytime we turn our back on her...and if she doesn't get it in ours...she will go next door and get into the dumpster! The "Garbage Disposal" part is that she reminds us nightly after dinner to take out the trash or we will be cleaning up bits stuff in the morning.....eek7.gif Although I realize the viewer doesn't know her temperment in the picture (other than the drool coming off her lip could be an indication of intense hunger or trouble...lol) the title sure does give a clue to it. Her mouth is most always hanging open to be fed...and seems I already had an entry a while back called "Feed Me!"...lol.mwink.gif
    And finally....life is unfairdeal.gif I get called alot of things that are unfair but hey...whats in a name anyway???ne_nau.gif
    Have a great day!:D

rolleyes1.gif

This is funny, however... rolleyes1.gif

What about "Ready for another treat",

or "Always ready for another snack"

Just an idea...

- beautiful lovely dog iloveyou.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

This is funny, however... rolleyes1.gif

What about "Ready for another treat",

or "Always ready for another snack"

Just an idea...

- beautiful lovely dog iloveyou.gif

lol....but 'The Garbage Disposal" actually gets a reaction of feeling doesn't it? Which is part of my plan! Otherwise the dog is just a sweet face...but I think many can relate to seeing their sweet pets do something that is discusting to us.....Thus the point of the title to evoke an emotion and help a person stop and look at it longer perhaps?

My original thought was to title it "Biscuit goes here"...but when I was typing in I couldn't remember how to spell biscuit and was too lazy to open another window and go to a spell check. But I rather thought "The Garbage Disposal" fits her so well and would attract more attention.

Seems to have worked?thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    lol....but 'The Garbage Disposal" actually gets a reaction of feeling doesn't it? Which is part of my plan! Otherwise the dog is just a sweet face...but I think many can relate to seeing their sweet pets do something that is discusting to us.....Thus the point of the title to evoke an emotion and help a person stop and look at it longer perhaps?

My original thought was to title it "Biscuit goes here"...but when I was typing in I couldn't remember how to spell biscuit and was too lazy to open another window and go to a spell check. But I rather thought "The Garbage Disposal" fits her so well and would attract more attention.

Seems to have worked?thumb.gif

I have to admit: it did :D - clever! thumb.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Jag,

As owner of 2 dogs now, and many in the past and throughout my life, I 'got' the title immediately and it made me chuckle. Smell, eat, strong smell, eat more. Basic doggie thoughts! rolleyes1.gif

Kara
  • Options
    CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Great photo! I understood the the title as well. Typically, however, my dogs will just leave the trash all over the apartment. In their case, a more fitting title would be garbage dispersers.

Good job clap.gif
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I can just smell the doggy breath! :D And I love the title. To me it conveys the way dogs "wolf" their food.

My mother said they had both a dog and a cat, because between them they would clean up any spills we made.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I had the same thought but I knew it would not work for my dog she is to monochromactic read brown, hard to get good definition of her. But I did sit around my cat for quite awhile waiting for a good cat yawn. Still might get that yet.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/