3 from Linda

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited August 16, 2009 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Nice shots Linda. Number two sticks out the most to me as I used to feel just like that young lady when I had to sit through church! rolleyes1.gif I also love the poster contrasting the ladies in the third. It's a good thing they're holding on!
    Travis
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    These are wonderful, Linda.

I like all three, but am torn between #2 and 3# as my fav.

#2 feels so authentic - and you have to wonder what is really going on between the woman (the mother?) and the child (daughter?). Why is the child so unhappy? The adult, while giving comfort, looks deeply sad too. Almost like a moment of shared grief. This one moves me.

#3 is really well framed. And I can't help finding the name of the move a fitting title for a picture of two women smoking!! The picture makes me smile.

Virginia

Email
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Love #3! Looks like Goldie Hawn and Suzanne Somers....circa 2020. rolleyes1.gif
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    #1 is super! What is so fascinating? They're both totally absorbed in what they're watching, and the expressions are priceless! Looks like they're in a church…

#2 I don't see that the child is upset, she's just snuggling up to Mom! (most probably bored stiff with the service :D )

#3 ho, hum - not too much going on here; I think the framing of the first two to be much better; #3 is full of bits & pieces… (just my opinion…)

Love the kids! thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

Three outstanding shots - #1 captures one of those typical childhood situations that most people either fail to shoot, or immediately toss - nice; Same with two - very nice image.

And three is a terrific street photo - it contains humor, a message, nice composition. Very well done. And you didn't have to tell us that it's "Two women smoking outside near a sign." rolleyes1.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    #3 ho, hum - not too much going on here; I think the framing of the first two to be much better; #3 is full of bits & pieces… (just my opinion…)

Love the kids! thumb.gif

- Wil

Wil, I love ya, but how can you say "not too much going on here?"

First, the humor - the two women outside smoking, with a sign "Land of the Lost" over their heads?" How much better could one photographically capture the world of smoker's today? Then compositionally, we have the "V" of dark poles joining the two women, with their balanced hands and cigarettes. This is a terrific image.

Okay, you don't like street photography; I get that. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Wil, I love ya, but how can you say "not too much going on here?"
    Irony?
    bdcolen wrote:
    First, the humor - the two women outside smoking, with a sign "Land of the Lost" over their heads?" How much better could one photographically capture the world of smoker's today? Then compositionally, we have the "V" of dark poles joining the two women, with their balanced hands and cigarettes. This is a terrific image.
    1st cursory glance I didn't see that both women were smoking…

(hey, why am I making excuses… ne_nau.gif )
    bdcolen wrote:

Okay, you don't like street photography; I get that. mwink.gif
    Well, actually I do like some…

I thought this one was just a bit fussy compared to the other two, that's all… thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    #1 and #2 as a series have a bit to say about life as seen through these girls' eyes: there are moments of anticipation and interest and moments of sadness and fatigue. Very nice.

#3 As others have said, the "Land of the Lost" sign is a hilarious juxtaposition behind these women's heads. The women appear to literally be clinging to their bad habits the way they are grabbing those bars. The slashing diagonals of the bars subliminally echo the slashing diagonal in a "No Smoking" sign. Great image.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Holy cow! Thanks for all your comments. :D

These were all taken on a weekend that we attended a wedding in New York. #3 was the result of a "drive by shooting". We were stopped in traffic, I saw the ladies next to the sign and clicked the shutter. I had noticed the sign and thought it was a poignant reminder of the type of life they lead.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    #2 is precious, and the mom's expression contrasting the girl's sense of desperation is wonderful.

#3. Honestly laughed out loud when I saw #3. Nice image, and wonderful irony.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    The first one almost looks like they are riding a bike together, love it.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700