Options

ADSL speed question

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited June 8, 2005 in The Big Picture
Guys i am currently on a 512/128 plan (same one for 5 years !!) Im moving this week-end & have found out that i can get an ADSL connection at my new place. I can get a speed of 8192/1024 kbps DSLAM ADSL 2 for about $40/month (20 gig limit) with a free modem.

The question is ...how do i relate this 8192/1024 speed to my current 512/128 ? Surley its not 16 times faster ?

I think i have my bits & bites mixed up !

Gus

Comments

• Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    Ok...the penny dropped...i have to multiply my old numbers by about 8 to get them the same.

So about twice as fast download & the same upload :cry ...baldy can put that water cooling system away for the time being.

Gus
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Guys i am currently on a 512/128 plan (same one for 5 years !!) Im moving this week-end & have found out that i can get an ADSL connection at my new place. I can get a speed of 8192/1024 kbps DSLAM ADSL 2 for about $40/month (20 gig limit) with a free modem.

The question is ...how do i relate this 8192/1024 speed to my current 512/128 ? Surley its not 16 times faster ?

Gus
    Gus,

No u were correct, it is 16 times faster for download and 8 times faster for upload.

Who was the the ISP ?

That would be very cool eek7.gif

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Wow..that's a good price too. Here I have the same speed for downloads but only 512 upstream. I pay about $75 US (about $100 AU?) for that. No limits on transfers though.
    Humungus wrote:

Gus
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    I Went Back to 256/56
    Humungus wrote:

I think i have my bits & bites mixed up ! Gus
    Hey Gus I moved up to the 512/128 for about 2 weeks and honestly I could barely tell the difference between what I had with the 256 speed and the new 512 ne_nau.gif so I thought blow that, I might as well pay less and go back to the 256 speed......... I believe cable is much faster, but alas we will never get cable where I live.......ohhhh well ......gonna play it smart and move back to the $29 a month plan before I go to USA, figured I have to pay for it when Im not using it so Im moving to the cheapest plan for 2 months rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif figured the pennies will be better off in my pocket than in Telestra's mwink.gif
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    ... Surley its not 16 times faster ?

Gus
    Well, it is 16 times the capacity. But that doesn't mean that you will see everything downloading in 1/16th the time. Often, your download speed is limited by the load on the server you are accessing. If the site is overloaded, then it doesn't matter how fast your line is, response time will be awful.

I hope you see a big improvement, but if you don't it may not be your ISP's fault.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Gus,
    The faster, the better!

Connection I use for my mass upload service is utilizing three T3 lines - and SM holds up pretty well, no hiccups..:-)

Cheers, mate!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Gus,

as others mentioned the download speed (1st number) doesn't matter that much, but the 2nd one is really important if you want to upload huge originals to SM.
    Theorectly you could upload a picture 8 times faster. (using 1024kbit/s instead of 128 kbit/s)
    Don't know about your picture sizes, but for me a 2MB file takes around 2 minutes on my 128kbit/s up-stream. With 1024 it would just take 15 seconds at maximal speed.
    Even when you don't get maximum speed to the SM servers it'll still be a lot faster and your connection won't get so slow when you want to surf while uploading with S*E.

The downside of your plan is that you only got 20GB traffic. Depending on what you're using your connection for this might be not enough. When you just surf the net and don't want to upload more than 10GB worth of pictures, this should be enough.
    Just be careful...when downloading at such a high speed one doesn't notice such limits anymore. :D
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Just be careful...when downloading at such a high speed one doesn't notice such limits anymore. :D
    I totally agree. If I had 20GB limits, I'd have problems.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    When I saw Gus's message, it made me finally go look at what my bandwith usage was. I was fully expecting to see myself close to my 10Gb limit. It turns out that my highest traffic month in the last 4 months was under 18% of my max limit. 3 of 4 months were less than 10%.

I'm always uploading to smugmug, listening to internet radio, downloading trial software, etc. So did I do the math correctly when I figure that I would have to be averaging 333 meg of traffic per day to exceed my 10Gb limit? If some of you guys are exceeding 20Gb per month, what the heck are you doing? headscratch.gif If you're running a web server, then maybe I can understand the high traffic, but oterhwise, I expect Gus should be fine at 20Gb.

Brad
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    Gus,

Don't know about your picture sizes, but for me a 2MB file takes around 2 minutes on my 128kbit/s up-stream. With 1024 it would just take 15 seconds at maximal speed.
    Ta Rf...but i think we are comparing different things here ...my old 128/512 is in bytes & my new line will be 1024/8192 so i dont think my load speed to SM will be much different.

My larger photos are 10 meg

20 GIG is heaps for me & if i go over it they drop me back to a slowish speed & dont charge me for it.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Well, it is 16 times the capacity. But that doesn't mean that you will see everything downloading in 1/16th the time. Often, your download speed is limited by the load on the server you are accessing. If the site is overloaded, then it doesn't matter how fast your line is, response time will be awful.

I hope you see a big improvement, but if you don't it may not be your ISP's fault.
    Yep know all about that stuff rs...if i download from an 0zzy game site for a demo i have seen speeds of 902 bytes coming in when im ment to get 512 max...not a lot of traffic here.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Gus,

No u were correct, it is 16 times faster for download and 8 times faster for upload.

Who was the the ISP ?

That would be very cool eek7.gif

David
    Hmm...bytes & bits...its confusing to me. I have friends in IT that are saying i must divide that fast number by 8 to be on the same playing field as my old 128/512 but you blokes are saying not to ne_nau.gif I dont know whats up.

Both iinet & 0zemail (same company really) are offering it with free modem/instal etc. Drop me back on speed if i hit 20 gig (10 gig day & 10 gig night) i can get 40 gig for about $80 but i rarely use more than 10.

Im smack bang in the city next to the main exchange so i assume im in fortunate being near the big guys like the banks etc.

Gus
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Hmm...bytes & bits...its confusing to me. I have friends in IT that are saying i must divide that fast number by 8 to be on the same playing field as my old 128/512 but you blokes are saying not to ne_nau.gif I dont know whats up.
    1 Byte = 8 bits. I've never seen bandwidth numbers given in Bytes per second (Bps), because bits per second (bps) always sounds faster!

My guess is that they're all bps, so no conversion is necessary. But you'd have to look at the fine print to be sure.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ta Rf...but i think we are comparing different things here ...my old 128/512 is in bytes & my new line will be 1024/8192 so i dont think my load speed to SM will be much different.

My larger photos are 10 meg

20 GIG is heaps for me & if i go over it they drop me back to a slowish speed & dont charge me for it.
    First of all we need to clarify what is in kbit/s and what in kbyte/s.
    8 bit= 1 byte
    k = kilo = 1000
    /s = per second

From which company is your old 512/128 plan? They definately have a homepage where their offers are listed. Somehow I don't think that you've got 512kbyte at the moment.

Another approach: How long (circa) does it take you to upload one of your 10 mb pictures when you're not doing anything else in the internet?
    If it takes less than 2 minutes you convinced me that I was wrong. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    Ok...i just checked both their sites. Both are talking the same thing ie 'kbps'.

Wow ...i think im going to like this !

Gus
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ok...i just checked both their sites. Both are talking the same thing ie 'kbps'.

Wow ...i think im going to like this !

Gus
    Could be both in general, but in terms of internet speed kbps means kbit/s for the reasons mentioned by Chris.

Yeah, I would like this speed too....one of your picture will be uploaded in less than a minute (with 1024 kbit/s upload) when everything runs smooth! :D

Have fun and if everything is at snail speed again you broke the 20GB mark! rolleyes1.gif
    I like this policy. Others make you pay for exceding your limit.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero