Options

Help! Arrange Photo auto-sorter not working!

NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited August 18, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Good morning.
I'm having a problem with the Arrange Photos auto-sorting, and my previous (self applied) work around is not working. Please help!:dunno:scratch

Using: Tools, Many Photos, Arrange, Arrange Photos
I've got an album with file names that are somewhat shorter than I would have used (DBa_001wm.jpg for example), which I figured would work for a names based auto sort (being under 8 chars for the important part). It doesn't! I had thought being under 8 chars would fix the problem I had previously where the files completely couldn't figure out how to sort (previously "Deb__and_Bert_001_wm.jpg" I think).

Since the gallery is 634 images, this is clearly a problem for me to manually resort like I've had to do in the past. (It was a problem with the first 214 image gallery, too, but I made it through that one by guess and by golly.) Since the files are not in order of date shot (a few, but enough to make it hard to see what's going on), choosing one sort method and returning to game the system and get to where I want hasn;t worked either.

What do I need to do?!?
(Gallery link: http://ntwphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/9319017_qtbsM/1/622983086_mqU4c)

Thanks,
Nate
NateW

NTWPhotos.com
Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Hi Nate,

Looking at your gallery, it seems as if you figured it out. The photos appear to be all sorted by filename just fine.
    THe filename length shouldn't be a problem.

If you don't want to bother with arranging photos at all, I would recommend right away setting the gallery to 'auto sort by filename'. That would take care of any arranging automatically even if you add photos later on. You can find the autosort in Tools > this gallery > customize gallery.

More details on gallery settings are here.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for looking into it!
    Unfortauntely, I didn't actually figure it out... There's just a lot of photos in there and I fixed the first 150 or so manually.
    (If you look through and find #165 and #166; I stopped right before this. As well, I'm sure #151, 152, 153, and 154 are somewhere, I jsut don't know where in this somewhat huge collection.)

Sorry to ask you to look again, but could I please do that?
    Thank you!

NateW
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for looking into it!
    Unfortauntely, I didn't actually figure it out... There's just a lot of photos in there and I fixed the first 150 or so manually.
    (If you look through and find #165 and #166; I stopped right before this. As well, I'm sure #151, 152, 153, and 154 are somewhere, I jsut don't know where in this somewhat huge collection.)

Sorry to ask you to look again, but could I please do that?
    Thank you!

NateW
    Hi Nate,

Could you give my suggestion a try and set 'auto sort' to 'by filename'? That should fix it right away.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    OK, Sebastian, you got me. :Dbowdown.gifhide

Once I turned on auto-sort, it's in the right order.

Since I'll most likely be using the auto-sort in the future, I'm not sure it will make a difference, but any idea on why it wasn't working?
    Like I said, I've had this happen before too... ne_nau.gif

Thank you very much!
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com