Options

Anyone editing CS3/4 + lightroom using

Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
edited August 19, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Solid State drives yet ? I am looking to put together a new editing computer and would like to go solid state for the bootup drive and
editing drive. Wondered if anyone is doing this and if so are you seeing
any noticeable performance increase ? Are you having any issues running
LR or CS4 ?

I can always throw in a couple of 1.5TB drives for backup, but from what I have read SSD's improve bootup times as well as improve performance for high end video editing or processor intense applications such as CS4 etc..

Anyone ??

Cheers

Dave
Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
that has added up over the years :wink

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 13, 2009
    What size SSD are you planning to use Dave?

I see 256Gb SSDs from OWC for $599.

I had not been watching these prices enough to consider them quite yet. Is the speed increase enough to justify the cost over a typical 3.5 inch HD in a desk top computer? I can see a slight advantage for a laptop, in terms of reliability and shock resistance, but .....still..
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Dave Clee wrote:
    Solid State drives yet ? I am looking to put together a new editing computer and would like to go solid state for the bootup drive and
    editing drive. Wondered if anyone is doing this and if so are you seeing
    any noticeable performance increase ? Are you having any issues running
    LR or CS4 ?

I can always throw in a couple of 1.5TB drives for backup, but from what I have read SSD's improve bootup times as well as improve performance for high end video editing or processor intense applications such as CS4 etc..

Anyone ??

Cheers

Dave

Not yet, but I will be when Windows7 is released.

I recently built a Core i7 desktop, 12 gigs DDR3 1600, ATI 4870X2 graphics, etc.

Its a screamer with Lightroom and CS3.

Currently, All of my applications are running off a 10,000 RPM 300 gig Western Digital Velociraptor hard drive. Storage is on a 1 TB SATA, also Western Digital. I am running Vista Ultimate 64 for an OS.

My original plan when I built was to migrate to Win7 ASAP while waiting for the prices to drop a little on the SSDs in the meantime. I have pre-ordered Win7 Pro and am awaiting the shipping date. I still intend to move to SSD for all my apps, and use the 300gig 10kRPM HDD for a scratch disk when I make the move.

I know that doesnt exactly answer your question, but at least you know that someone else here will be fumbling about with similar hardware!:D
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    Well everything I have read so far suggests these SSD drives are considerably faster with regards to bootup times as well as read/write and seek times. The benchmarks against even the 10k SATA drives are still considerably better. Throw in the added lifespan, no moveable parts, pretty much noise free and the fact that the prices are dropping..well its definitely a thought for my new pc.
    But I havent seen any tests with CS3 / LR which is why I posed the question.
    As far as I am concerned, the conventional hard drive will be a thing of the past once the prices drop.

Cheers

Dave

• Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Heres a link to my build.

Very Nice. I just got a I7 retail for $199 so I had to build one. I got the MSI motherboard, and 12GB of ram.

In all I spent about 900 on the system, but wow, what a difference over my 8 core xeon system. The I7 chip is amazing.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited August 18, 2009
    I think at this point it would be more cost effective to put your money into additional RAM and run a 64 bit OS. SSDs are still pretty pricey for the storage you get. Remember that you get peak performance in CS by not hitting the swap drive at all. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Richard, its not like I was going to skimp on the RAM. I am lining up a 64bit I7 system right now, 12 gigs of ram and figured this PC would last me for at least 2 years. So I thought why not go for the static drives as well. They have come down in price and are now on the cusp of my "budget" ..lol

Cheers

Dave
    Richard wrote:
    I think at this point it would be more cost effective to put your money into additional RAM and run a 64 bit OS. SSDs are still pretty pricey for the storage you get. Remember that you get peak performance in CS by not hitting the swap drive at all. deal.gif