Options

Another 16 hours on Mt. Rainier

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited August 18, 2009 in Landscapes
After doing Paradise on Saturday morning/afternoon, Danny and I headed back to the mountain for sunrise through sunset on Sunday. Again we were really lucky with the light and conditions.

Here are some of my favorite shots from the trip.

#1:

623176073_An7ka-XL.jpg

#2:

623176625_n6jkn-XL.jpg

#3:

623184849_EVyxK-XL.jpg

#4:

623173649_HqYFf-XL.jpg

#5:

623174717_Z6LKh-XL.jpg

#6:

623175542_MyEA6-XL.jpg

And what trip to Rainier would be complete without some flower shots?

#7:

623180559_zM3yt-XL.jpg

#8:

623179992_UeSUc-XL.jpg

#9:

623181245_jG4Vx-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Awesome Ron ~ all of them thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    3 & 4.. wow.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Beautiful pics. #'s 1, 4 and 6 are my favs. They belong on the wall! clap.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    You guys are fantastic landscape fanatics and we just couldn't get enough of your magnificent catches.bowdown.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Very cool. I think my favorite is #3! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    You guys are fantastic landscape fanatics and we just couldn't get enough of your magnificent catches.bowdown.gif

Cuong

+1 bowdown.gif
  • Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Beautiful captures.
  • Options
    JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Great work looks like a fun trip I need to make it up there soon I am missing out.
    Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Excellent series Ron!!!! I would be very hard pressed to pick a favorite out of these as they are all great!! If I had to pick on, it would be #2. Great composition, colors. detail and that reflection is incredible!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Beautiful shots, Ron! You are one talented photographer...it's scary how good you are. Keep up the great work, and show our state in the beautiful light she deserves to be seen in.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Awesome set of shots.

I love #4. It reminds me of my "darkroom in the garage" days with B & W film and experimenting with yellow and red filters to bring out the sky/cloud contrast. #3 is an equally dramatic capture.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Really like #2 & 4.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    Cuong wrote:

Cuong

Thanks Cuong - Mt. Rainier isn't very accessible for 9 months of the year so we need to take advantage in the limited time we have. Even though I've been there a lot there's still a ton of places I have yet to visit, but I'm working on it! :D
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Excellent series Ron!!!! I would be very hard pressed to pick a favorite out of these as they are all great!! If I had to pick on, it would be #2. Great composition, colors. detail and that reflection is incredible!

Ron

Thanks Ron - that's Naches Peak, and it was taken a whole 15 ft. from where the first photo was taken. I feel kind of guilty :D
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    These are all very good, as usual. I'm kind of surprised by how the second one turned out. It's one of my favorites of this series.
    I also really like the macros you got. I can't wait to return.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Beautiful shots, Ron! You are one talented photographer...it's scary how good you are. Keep up the great work, and show our state in the beautiful light she deserves to be seen in.

Thanks Mahesh - that means a lot. As much as I shoot I still feel like there's so much more out there, if only I had more time. This state is just a treasure for landscapes. I still feel that I often fail to capture the feeling of the place I'm shooting, but I'm getting closer, and I'll just have to keep shooting more and more to get where I want to be, and that's fine, there's few things I'd rather be doing then watching the glow on Rainier at sunrise.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    These are all very good, as usual. I'm kind of surprised by how the second one turned out. It's one of my favorites of this series.
    I also really like the macros you got. I can't wait to return.

Same here! It was either shoot macros or watch you throw rocks at trees (and miss - even though I hit it on the first try behind my back...) :D

I didn't have high expectations for the second shot either, it looked really awesome in person but that doesn't always translate. I'm glad I took a bracketed exposure (3 stops) and was able to blend the two together though as you know there's still some haloing artifacts I need to work on there. I'll get it someday...
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    Again thanks to everyone who provided feedback and comments :D

I plan on hitting Rainier (and Mt. Baker) a bunch more this year, in addition to a trip to the Southwest and Yellowstone/Grand Teton in the fall. After that I'll probably hibernate for awhile.