Options

Lexar 32 bit CF CardBus Reader

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited June 8, 2005 in Accessories
I use a laptop currently for all my processing. One of the bottlenecks I have been experiencing lately is the download time of transferring CF cards to the laptop for processing. Using a regular CF card reader takes 15 minutes to download a 1 gig Sandisk Ultra II card. If I have 10 gigs to download from a multi-day photoshoot, it takes 2.5 hours where I can't do much more than feed cards. A real drag.

Enter the Lexar 32 bit CardBus CF Card Reader. It's fast, my laptop supports it, and I can now download 1 gig in 3.5 minutes, and 10 gigs in 35 minutes! Wow!

I am running Windows XP and installed the included driver before using the card. There were no hangups or problems experienced.

And the most important aspect, when I would download with slower cards, my internet radio audio would stutter so bad I could hardly stand it. Now the audio does not alter at all while downloading.

If you are contemplating a new CF card reader, I can recommend this one.

Next stop, a desktop computer with more memory and hard drives to further speed up the processing time load.
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Are you talking about a PCMCIA Cardbus reader? So, where's you get yours?
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Never heard of this before...
    thanks for the 'heads up' Shay.

Are you comparing speeds between two USB 2.0 card readers? And the 'new' 32 bit card reader is that much faster?

I may consider one as an upgrade. Maybe a cheap (relatively...) Father's Day gift from the kids to me mwink.gif

My fastest cards are Transcend 45X, on a Lexar USB 2.0 reader they aren't necessarily *slow* but they ain't screaming either. I can usually get my coffee made and grab a smoke before a full 1 gig card is finished uploading.

Thanks again for the heads up...

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    Now wait a minute here....
    Laptop? Cardbus? 32 bit? This is like not-applicable for me rolleyes1.gif

and it's like $85? :uhoh (oh well not this father's day rolleyes1.gif )

Well, good news for you laptoppers thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    Hmm, sorry, looks like I should have included more info.

My laptop, most likely manufactured by Fred Flinstone himself back in the dark ages of 3 years ago, does not have a USB 2 connection.

So, I have been using the Sandisk Ultra PC card adapter:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=303357&is=REG

While it has worked great and never failed me, as mentioned, it's not the speediest thing you will run across during your day. So after doing some research, I came a cross the Lexar cardbus reader:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=328110&is=REG

$40 at B&H

I would say it is as fast (possibly a tad faster) than USB 2. So if you have a laptop with cardbus compatibility and don't have USB 2, this card is the ticket to a better nights sleep, 'cause you can download and get to bed that much faster now mwink.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    Shay...
    "reading is hard" :D I should have read the title of your thread more carefully-I just didn't catch the 'cardbus' part before I posted rolleyes1.gif

Your subject line is fine thumb.gif
    Hmm, sorry, looks like I should have included more info.

ah well...back to the doghouse
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    "reading is hard" :D
    Hahahaha, that cracks me up rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    "reading is hard" :D I should have read the title of your thread more carefully-I just didn't catch the 'cardbus' part before I posted rolleyes1.gif

Your subject line is fine thumb.gif
    You and I both...
    I]feelin' blonde on this end[/I

Thanks for the links Shay. Yea... my laptop may even be older. PIII500. So USB 1.1 is slower than snot! I'll have to consider this!!!

Thanks man!