Options

Is there a way to change multiple galleries at once

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited June 8, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I had a need to change a single property on multiple galleries (20-30). In one case, I needed to change the color settings from Auto to True and in another case, I need to set/change the password. Is there any way to make these kinds of changes in bulk? I ended up having to open each one with customize gallery, find the one option I wanted to change, set it, hit Update, find the next gallery, rinse, lather, repeat 29 more times. I really wanted the ability to select 30 galleries and apply a change to all of them at once.

Am I missing some way to do this? If it's not there, then please note this as a feature request.

--John
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    I'm working on it (in S*E)
    jfriend wrote:
    I had a need to change a single property on multiple galleries (20-30). In one case, I needed to change the color settings from Auto to True and in another case, I need to set/change the password. Is there any way to make these kinds of changes in bulk? I ended up having to open each one with customize gallery, find the one option I wanted to change, set it, hit Update, find the next gallery, rinse, lather, repeat 29 more times. I really wanted the ability to select 30 galleries and apply a change to all of them at once.

Am I missing some way to do this? If it's not there, then please note this as a feature request.

--John
    There are certain performance/UI issues which prevent me from getting it done *very* soon, but it's in the pipes..

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Cool. I'll happily take it in S*E
    Nikolai wrote:
    There are certain performance/UI issues which prevent me from getting it done *very* soon, but it's in the pipes..

HTH
    Cool. I had also considered S*E as a vehicle for this kind of feature. I'll take it wherever I can get it. It is a bit of a UI challenge as I've done these kinds of things in software before.

FWIW, the CS2 RAW UI for applying RAW parameters across multiple RAW files works well for me. You get the normal RAW sliders, you set the ones you want to apply to multiple images and when you hit apply, you get a dialog with a row of checkboxes asking you which settings you want to apply to the multiple selection. It has the nice feature that the one-at-a-time UI is the same as the multiple-at-a-time UI except you get one more step in the multiple use case to tell it which properties to apply across the multi-selection.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    I'm familiar with it..
    jfriend wrote:
    FWIW, the CS2 RAW UI for applying RAW parameters across multiple RAW files works well for me. You get the normal RAW sliders, you set the ones you want to apply to multiple images and when you hit apply, you get a dialog with a row of checkboxes asking you which settings you want to apply to the multiple selection. It has the nice feature that the one-at-a-time UI is the same as the multiple-at-a-time UI except you get one more step in the multiple use case to tell it which properties to apply across the multi-selection.

--John
    The "problem" is that SM uses not binary (1/0, yes/no, true/false), but ternary (yes/no/default, 1/0/-1, true/false/unknown) logic in the album settings.
    S*E currently mimics that logic with set/clear/grayed checkboxes. But if you want to modify already existing albums, you'd need a *fourth* option in addition to those three ("leave as is").
    Small step for a mankind, but no standard, compact, easy-to-use control...:-(
    Use 4 (!) radio buttons per option?
    Or a combobox, which requires multiple clicks to set one value? Very awkward control for an average non-geeky person if you ask me..
    I'll figure it out. Just "wenting"..:-)
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    "Bulk" gallery settings are coming very soon ...
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    yay!
    {JT} wrote:
    "Bulk" gallery settings are coming very soon ...
    I guess no point for me to rush it then:-)
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    An afterthought
    Nikolai wrote:
    The "problem" is that SM uses not binary (1/0, yes/no, true/false), but ternary (yes/no/default, 1/0/-1, true/false/unknown) logic in the album settings.
    S*E currently mimics that logic with set/clear/grayed checkboxes. But if you want to modify already existing albums, you'd need a *fourth* option in addition to those three ("leave as is").
    Or a combobox, which requires multiple clicks to set one value? Very awkward control for an average non-geeky person if you ask me..
    Of course, once I started ranting, I imnmediately figured it out..
    Even liked the idea.. But only to find out the next morning that JT would provide this feature on SM soon, so it's kinda all in vain..
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

Hmm, almost all of the smugmug gallery settings are boolean (true/false), as evidenced by the gallery settings pages. Which one(s) were you referring to?

Don