Options

Wedding Picture

MayndiMayndi Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited June 9, 2005 in Weddings
just a little wedding shot I took at my cousin's wedding. my zoom is really really crappy. i have a sony cybershot and it seems like the closer i zoom in, the further away things are, and therefore it's really grainy. aye yi yi.

5tzc3m
Now come on. I know you love :lust me. What are you waiting for?
"i never knew until the world was my inspiration, and these walls were my canvas"
Hidilia Carpenter
1/3/32 - 12/28/04

Comments

• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Hi Mayndi!
    Well, it's really not a *bad* shot actually. Maybe could use just a bit of tweaking to clean it up a bit. I like the perspective-shot from the pew, and it has an interesting balance between the bride and groom on the right and the girls on the left. The bottom of the cross dips down between them in a pretty cool way as well.

One thing that may have helped the composition would have been to move the frame slightly to the left. Open up the left side to include the bridesmaid that is cut off in the original, and loose the space to the right of the groom (it is unnecessary and wouldn't be missed). Other than that, you could crop this shot down and cut out the space on the right of the groom, but unfortunately you can't add to the bridesmaid-:D . Playing around with the contrast might prove interesting as far as the overall tone of the shot as well.

Now, about the graininess and the way you describe your 'zooming'. It sounds like you may have your cameras digital zoom feature turned *on*. While it can be useful, it does degrade image quality to varying degrees depending on your camera make and model. That may be what you are experiencing. Also, if your camera has an 'auto-ISO' mode, it will increase the ISO speed in order to let you take pics in places with little available light. When this happens it brings out the *graininess* of the shot. It's a fact of photography that we all have to live with to one degee or another.

Keep trying and posting we are here to help.

Take care,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    I like the picture--- where in Indiana are you? I go to Valpo during the school year. Welcome to Dgrin :)
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Are you using digital zoom? If so, and if you are using high ISO, then the noise will be enlarged and the photo will look extra grainy. That is natural and not a fault. Digital zoom on Sony cameras are very high quality, and tend to do better than doing an equivalent enlargement in Photoshop.

The only real answer to the dilemma though is to get closer, or use a greater focal length (bigger lenses). And not all cameras allow that.
    Mayndi wrote:
    just a little wedding shot I took at my cousin's wedding. my zoom is really really crappy. i have a sony cybershot and it seems like the closer i zoom in, the further away things are, and therefore it's really grainy. aye yi yi.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie