edited August 20, 2009 in Accessories
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 19, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    :nah It doesn't have a hard drive and the maximum SSD capacity is 32GB. 512 MB of RAM is too little to run recent versions of CS comfortably. I think there are much better deals available (cheaper, more powerful) in netbooks, though admittedly those are bigger and heavier.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    :nah It doesn't have a hard drive and the maximum SSD capacity is 32GB. 512 MB of RAM is too little to run recent versions of CS comfortably. I think there are much better deals available (cheaper, more powerful) in netbooks, though admittedly those are bigger and heavier.

I believe if has a solid state HD. Intel Atom 1.33GHz CPU.

You can carry it in your pocket in the wilds of Madrid, do tethering in the palm of your hand. Battery to last all day. How many gigs would you need to store in a day?

512MB RAM might just work for tethering, if nothing else was loaded at the time.

N

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 19, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    I believe if has a solid state HD. Intel Atom 1.33GHz CPU.

You can carry it in your pocket in the wilds of Madrid, do tethering in the palm of your hand. Battery to last all day. How many gigs a day would you shoot?

N

Yeah, it has a 16 GB SSD for 600 bucks. Don't know what 32GB costs. I don't need a device like this for shooting in Madrid, as I have enough CF cards to meet those needs. What I do need is something to take with me when I'm on the road for a few weeks. I usually do a lot of shooting when I am traveling, and shooting RAW on a 50D yields about 50 shots per GB, which means 1600 shots max. I love the size and weight, but the capacity of this thing doesn't meet my needs.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,829 moderator
    edited August 19, 2009
    While this device certainly has size to its advantage, there is probably not enough information to know how useful it would be to many/most photographers.

It appears limited to a Micro SD card slot and a mini USB port, but the USB port is not indicated as to its specification, i.e. USB 1, 1.1, 2.0 etc.

The LCD is awfully small (4.8") and may not be much use for critical review of the images. There is not enough information to know the color quality or how the display would work in the field.

There is no clear path for backup or offloading of data on the system. While the micro-USB may support an external drive, there is not enough information to know compatability or transfer speeds.

It's an interesting device but probably not the best choice for photographic applications.

My own travel workflow uses a HyperDrive to backup/copy the CF and SD cards in the field, and then that plugs into a standard laptop PC for review and initial sorting/editing. (The HyperDrive simply shows as an external drive to the laptop computer and transfer is very fast.) The laptop has a DVD burner to allow an additional backup and I have an external 500GB SATA drive for further backup/storage. (4x DVD+RW)

BTW, I have less than $300USD invested in the HyperDrive and laptop computer combination and around another $100 or so for the external 500GB drive and adapter.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    While this device certainly has size to its advantage, there is probably not enough information to know how useful it would be to many/most photographers.

It appears limited to a Micro SD card slot and a mini USB port, but the USB port is not indicated as to its specification, i.e. USB 1, 1.1, 2.0 etc.

The LCD is awfully small (4.8") and may not be much use for critical review of the images. There is not enough information to know the color quality or how the display would work in the field.

There is no clear path for backup or offloading of data on the system. While the micro-USB may support an external drive, there is not enough information to know compatability or transfer speeds.

It's an interesting device but probably not the best choice for photographic applications.

My own travel workflow uses a HyperDrive to backup/copy the CF and SD cards in the field, and then that plugs into a standard laptop PC for review and initial sorting/editing. (The HyperDrive simply shows as an external drive to the laptop computer and transfer is very fast.) The laptop has a DVD burner to allow an additional backup and I have an external 500GB SATA drive for further backup/storage. (4x DVD+RW)

BTW, I have less than $300USD invested in the HyperDrive and laptop computer combination and around another $100 or so for the external 500GB drive and adapter.

Thanks, ziggy. Yes, of course. But tantalising, isn't it. Just you, your camera and that, or something like it, in your pocket or free hand as you roam street or wilds. :D

N

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Thanks, ziggy. Yes, of course. But tantalising, isn't it. Just you, your camera and that, or something like it, in your pocket or free hand as you roam street or wilds. :D

No need to imagine...have you actually seen the HyperDrive that Ziggy mentioned? It's completely optimized for fast transfer and safe, verified storage and viewing of high volumes of raw photos, and the screen isn't that much smaller than the netbook. And it will take up to 500GB.

P.S. I clicked on the HyperDrive press photos link on their website, and they are serving them from a Smugmug gallery!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    If you are interested in a netbook, check out the Dell Mini10, which is very compact, and for @239 refurb at their outlet, with a 120GB hard drive, is even cheaper than a Hyperdrive. However, I suspect it doesnt have the same battery life.

Dell Mini 10v

Dell Outlet