convice me to keep the Nikkor 50mm F1.8D

brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited August 20, 2009 in Accessories
Hi everyone, I just bought this lens and havent been too amazed by it, but I really havent been able to take it outside due to horrible weather. why not just get a 18-200mm VR and be done with it right? :dunno

Perhaps can you post some pics you have taken with it? :lust

Preferably with a D50 as that is what I am using right now.

Thanks!:barb
Nikon D50 brianhanley.com

Comments

• dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I don't have any pictures handy, but I do have a D50 a 50mm 1.8 and an 18-200mm.

I would say keep the 50mm if you want to shoot in low light or use shallow depth of field. I keep the 18-200 on my camera most of the time as it's so versatile but I still keep the 50mm around for when I need it (and given its size and weight its easy to keep around).
  • brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    i was just checking out your pictures, very nice! none of them are with the 50mm?

I said to myself "wow this guy really gets around, look at all these european countries!" and i then realized you live there haha
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    The 50MM f1.8is awesome for many things. Its the most affordable fast lens that you'll find. Definitely keep it for.....

Low light sports
    238560118_zFgeB-S.jpg

Shallow Depth of field
    217585690_aPBD7-S-1.jpg

And in general just to keep the whole camera unit small so you can have it handy when perfect candid opportunities appear.
    138988927_MnrbS-S.jpg

All taken with a D50.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Shane, the Granddad shot (I assume) is great.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    D50, 50mm 1.8, SB-400, fluorescent kitchen light overhead, one tubby tabby (Felix) posing:

felix_stand_up_01.jpg
    edited February 13, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Shane, the Granddad shot (I assume) is great.

Thanks. You are correct. That's grandpa with the long awaited 1st grandchild. And as you can see in Pic#2, she's 2 1/2 now. I got my D50 when she was 5 months old, and I just passed 30K shutter actuations. There are rarely moments that are not preserved in pixels around our house. :D
  • brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    what settings do you think the grandpa shot was taken with? iso.. wb camera mode etc.. ty!
    edited February 13, 2008
    The info for the grandpa shot is:
    Aperture: f3.2
    Shutter speed: 1/50
    ISO:400
    WB Setting: Auto

When using this lens, I shoot in Aperture Priority mode. Depending on how close the subject is, I usually set it for about f2.2. f1.8 is nice, but often the DOF is too shallow because I'm so close. You may find this site handy for figuring your DOF at each f stop, distance combination.
    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

You might also checkout this entire Flickr pool dedicated to the 50MM lenses.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/50mmlens/pool/

Here is another favorite 50MM shot of mine. (iso:200, f1.8, 1/2000, WB:Auto)
    138988759_JnpVx-S.jpg
  • RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    I think you should sell me your 50mm 1.8 D wings.gif
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    The 50mm 1.8 is my concealed carry lens, an all-rounder for the stealth times, like restaurants and walking to and from work. Makes the D70s almost like a P&S it's so small. And handy for documenting events and pretending to be a newsy!rolleyes1.gif

It's also sooo sharp, and the DOF control is great for portraits, artsy shots, and can be easily made into a macro lens set up. There is no reason to get rid of your fantastic plastic!

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • adamiroxadamirox Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2008
    ...on a D40???
    Hi guys. I just got this lense amd I am wondering how to make it work with wide open apertrues as when I attach it my camera (d40) asks me to 'set the minimum aperture (f22)' and won't let me do anything else until I do...

please helpheadscratch.gif
    edited February 21, 2008
    adamirox wrote:
    Hi guys. I just got this lense amd I am wondering how to make it work with wide open apertrues as when I attach it my camera (d40) asks me to 'set the minimum aperture (f22)' and won't let me do anything else until I do...

please helpheadscratch.gif

Sine this is an AF lens, this lens will meter with the D40. Physically set the aperture on the lens by twisting the aperture ring to f/22 (and i'm not sure if there's an lock or not, if there is lock it in place)... you will control your aperture via the camera body. So u can use this lens and operate it in M, A, and P modes. so set you aperture to 1.8 inside the camera body and you should have it wide open. This lens, however, will not autofocus on the D40.

Hope that helps...

Have fun !
    edited February 21, 2008
    :-)))
    Thanx for such a quick and useful reply. I tried it and of coure, it works! Awesome lens, just like the reviews said. I guess I just got a bit freaked out. Stupid of me not to try it out.

THANX FOR NOT LAUGHING ME OUT LIKE PEOPLE ON SOME OTHER FORUMS WOULD:D Really greatful for your help!
    edited February 21, 2008
    adamirox wrote:
    Thanx for such a quick and useful reply. I tried it and of coure, it works! Awesome lens, just like the reviews said. I guess I just got a bit freaked out. Stupid of me not to try it out.

THANX FOR NOT LAUGHING ME OUT LIKE PEOPLE ON SOME OTHER FORUMS WOULD:D Really greatful for your help!

NP :D Photography is full of questions and experimentation... Enjoy the lens...it's great. I only have the 50mm 1.8 Series E lens (which doens' meter) but i'm either gonna wait for an AF-S (that will autofocus on the D40) or just but the AF like you have !
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    adamirox wrote:

First one's free.... :poke

rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
    edited August 20, 2009
    MF rules!
    Hey guys! It's been a while but I thought I'm gonna add something to it now. I have now (sort of) learnt how to effectively use MF wings.gif with my 50mm 5/1.8D and given the choice I've started using MF all the time, even with my kit 18-55 VR, unless I really need a super fast focus! It's just amazing how much more you can do with the camera now and I urge everybody to experience this! I was veeeeeeeeeeeeeery sceptical about using MF when I first got my 50mm and even put it away for a long time not shooting pictures with it cause I thought it's just too hard! It seems now however that it really comes down to practice and the little green light that shows in the viewfinder is more than helpful! thumb.gif

So there you have it, everyone! If I could do it (and I'm not a serious photographer) anyone can!

50mm lens is amazing and I already started planning a purchase of 28mm prime for my Nikon D60. Honestly, anyone condemning the D60 for not having a motor in the body deserves a slap cause you really don't need it 95% of time and the amount of creative control you get with manual focusing is just AMAZING! bowdown.gif