Options

#31 - Opening moves

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited August 20, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
So the challenge made me think of "opening moves", and after spending waaaaay too much time setting this up, I got the shot, but I'm not sure about the treatment. :dunno (Sorry about the wonky numbering scheme -- I'm going by the export file # to keep them straight.)

#5 The Sicilian Defense
623832172_9YrQ9-L.jpg

623836122_7RgEs-L.jpg

623835074_FwuV2-L.jpg

623837015_MR8HL-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I prefer #1

.. I dont go for the plural in your title.... "moves"

but you are using "The Sicilian Defense" right?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    I prefer #1

.. I dont go for the plural in your title.... "moves"

but you are using "The Sicilian Defense" right?

By #1 do you mean #5? headscratch.gif Yeah, I like "The Sicilian Defense" as a title, even if it is slightly obscure. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    rolleyes1.gif yes....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I think you should have used a Ruy Lopez opening vs. the Sicilian defense. Of course that would require you to play white. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Hi Mark..

My vote is for #9 in your series..

It gives us more contrast thumb.gif

The yellow and brown are not contrasting well, and the monochrome shot has too much grey and not enough contrast either. The shadows in #9 are less distracting too..

You might consider some selective blur on #9 with the blur brush to direct our eyes to the finger and piece that it is on by further blurring the outer areas and pieces that are already blurred.,...

You might also selectively sharp with the sharp brush on the tip of the finger and the piece it is on too... Just a little to add emphasis..

It may or may not look good, but you might try it...:D

Kat
  • Options
    TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Another vote for #9 here... Much prefer the tones and the contrast in this one.
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    +1 on #9.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Nicely done Mark. I struggle between #9 and #10. Though I agree that #10 doesn't have as much contrast and a whole lotta grey midtone.....something about it just seems more classic, more fitting to chess. Maybe just a slight curves adjustment??

My favorite part about these images.....the angle you shot from, creating the angled chess board and squares. clap.gifclap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Submitted for your approval, #9 version two (31-9v2, for those following the nomenclature)-- upped the contrast, tried to draw more attention to the black piece being moved, and added the vignette for #5.

@whiterice -- you're right about the angle. It took me a long time to find one that looked natural and dynamic AND suggested what was going on, all at the same time. Actually it took me a long time to figure out that for this to work I needed to turn the board around ...rolleyes1.gif

@Kat, there is now subtle sharpening on the finger and the piece, perhaps too subtlene_nau.gif but I think the vignette draws the eyes to the action better, I hope?

@Dlplumer, my Chess game is reminiscent of Holly's from the TV show Red Dwarf. You know, "prawn takes horsie." :D

624809407_nq3sU-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    So not fair Mark,,, We gotta keep scrolling back up to compare it to the one without the vignette rolleyes1.gif

Can ya post em side by side pretty pleazzzzzzzzz..:D
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    So not fair Mark,,, We gotta keep scrolling back up to compare it to the one without the vignette rolleyes1.gif

Can ya post em side by side pretty pleazzzzzzzzz..:D

Well, since you said "pleazzzzzzzzz":

623836122_7RgEs-L.jpg
    #9v2
    624809407_nq3sU-L.jpg
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I really love the concept behind this shot; I saw it in the gallery before you posted it as a thread, and it made me think for a second before going "AHA!! OPENING MOVES!" and is a brilliant take on the theme (word play geek... moi??!!)

In any case of these two I prefer the one with the vignette (I also like the BW version).

Great job! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    Thanks Mark..

I have a question.. Why in the one with the vignette did the finger get blown out on the tip? Just wondering what caused it..

My vote is with the original due to the finger blowout... I dunno, the vignette helps to draw our eyes to it, yes, but then it also brings out the strength in all of the other shadows too, and I am not sure that is a good thing because those shadows distract from the main subject...

so original for me..:D but perhaps others will disagree, :D I dunno.....but that's my best take on it....thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    Thanks Mark..

I have a question.. Why in the one with the vignette did the finger get blown out on the tip? Just wondering what caused it..

My vote is with the original due to the finger blowout... I dunno, the vignette helps to draw our eyes to it, yes, but then it also brings out the strength in all of the other shadows too, and I am not sure that is a good thing because those shadows distract from the main subject...

so original for me..:D but perhaps others will disagree, :D I dunno.....but that's my best take on it....thumb.gif

Kat

I also increased the contrast somewhat which caused the finger and the white pieces to get lighter and darkened the shadows. I'm of two minds about it -- I think it gives it a sort of film-like look, but also miss some of the details in it.

Here's one with a vignette but without the added contrast: (31-9v3!)
    625181114_g2Qof-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    Ya know what?

Now that you brought my attention to it.. I see where the added contrast blew out some of the detail on some of the white pieces too..

I would say be careful on the contrast boost.. You can selectively add contrast with dodge and burn and a light pressure brush if you get to missing it too much..? but I think the finger getting blown out is not good.

In the end you may have to go with your gut on this Mark. Such subtle changes, but they sure can make all the difference sometimes huh?headscratch.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    I say go with this one 31-9v3 or the original thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    @Kat,

I am absolutely awful at judging my own work after a certain point. Like Prufrock of the poem,

"And time yet for a hundred indecisions/ And for a hundred visions and revisions/ ... For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse."

Thank you for your input! I'll make a decision eventually ...

• Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    You and your theater.. you always loose me when you talk poems HA:D
    I kind of gloss over..ya know..headscratch.gif

Sometimes, when in doubt, and if your just not loving it right off the bat, then a re-shoot can help, that is what I always do anyways, even if it is just to give myself options when I am stuck...

After all, at least you can "rest easy" that you have a "finished entry" right here already that looks good....

I have to say I am accustomed to seeing several entry options from ya.. your usually a rebel without cause shooting a little bit of everything..:D and we gets lots of diverse choices from ya..:ivar

Kat
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I vote no vignette.

I do like the shot a lot, and I think that the vignette just darkens it too much... The shot has a little bit of a natural vignette and adding a vignette feels like it's cramping the space in a way. It almost makes it so that there is almost too much going on in the shot, but I can't see everything that's going on because it's dark, and I know there's stuff there so I want to see it!

Don't know whether that any makes sense at all, but I guess I'm just trying to say that the vignette stresses me out :D

The shot is great. Bonus points for creativity!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    @All: Thanks everyone for the feedback thumb.gif My final entry is up. And I'm not changing it again, despite my "hundred indecisions."

@Kat -- took LOTS of different pictures, but this was the only one I ended up liking. ne_nau.gif I'm not THAT indecisive. Although I do think that the next challenge should be a SOOC poetry interp of J. Alfred Prufrock. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    I vote no vignette.

I do like the shot a lot, and I think that the vignette just darkens it too much... The shot has a little bit of a natural vignette and adding a vignette feels like it's cramping the space in a way. It almost makes it so that there is almost too much going on in the shot, but I can't see everything that's going on because it's dark, and I know there's stuff there so I want to see it!

Don't know whether that any makes sense at all, but I guess I'm just trying to say that the vignette stresses me out :D

The shot is great. Bonus points for creativity!

15524779-Ti.gif No vignette. Not needed here....your composition very nicely focuses the viewer without the vignette - no need for that trick in this case.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    @All: Thanks everyone for the feedback thumb.gif My final entry is up. And I'm not changing it again, despite my "hundred indecisions."

@Kat -- took LOTS of different pictures, but this was the only one I ended up liking. ne_nau.gif I'm not THAT indecisive. Although I do think that the next challenge should be a SOOC poetry interp of J. Alfred Prufrock. rolleyes1.gif

Oh, dude, bring it ON ("I have heard them singing each to each...." muahahahahahaha)
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    MarkR wrote:

Good Luck Mark, wishing you all the best on your entry..thumb.gif

Alfred Prufrock? HAHA.. you lost me there..

You really get into this poetry stuff.. so do you write? mwink.gif

Come on, lets here you put the stress of editing a photo into poetry clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Oh, dude, bring it ON ("I have heard them singing each to each...." muahahahahahaha)

Now this is no surprise..rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

I think we have a drama Queen and King on our hands now.. oh help us..eek7.gifhuh
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    Kat,

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, by TS Eliot, is one of the greats ... and like all great poetry you don't have to understand it to enjoy it.

Of course, what'd be really fun is a poetry interp of a piece I woo'd my wife with: Richard Brautigan's Romeo and Juliet.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I personally think that #5 and #8 are the closest to the natural colors.

- Your entry is one of my favorites - wonderful idea and interpretation of the theme!

I see that you changed it already and yes, in the second one the white balance is better
    than the original (on my screen)

- Well, I don't know exactly what tone of white is the "white" (light) wood, but looking
    at the finger, the skin looks natural on both you current entry and the #8
    (maybe even better on #5 which I think it's actually your current entry...)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Kat,

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, by TS Eliot, is one of the greats ... and like all great poetry you don't have to understand it to enjoy it.

Of course, what'd be really fun is a poetry interp of a piece I woo'd my wife with: Richard Brautigan's Romeo and Juliet.

How very Brautigan... rolleyes1.gif

J Alfred is one of my very faves. The Waste Land wears me out (or makes me laugh - the footnotes in particular are always good for humour value), and the Quartets never quite resonated with me, but I do adore Prufrock.

But not as much as I adore pretty much the entire output of John Donne...... There ya go: we can have a Sonnets challenge (illustrate your favorite sonnet as a photo... or would it have to be fourteen photos?! headscratch.gif)
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    I personally think that #5 and #8 are the closest to the natural colors.

- Your entry is one of my favorites - wonderful idea and interpretation of the theme!

I see that you changed it already and yes, in the second one the white balance is better
    than the original (on my screen)

- Well, I don't know exactly what tone of white is the "white" (light) wood, but looking
    at the finger, the skin looks natural on both you current entry and the #8
    (maybe even better on #5 which I think it's actually your current entry...)

Tatiana, #5 is probably closest to "correct" colors, but #9 I find more pleasing. Given the choice, I'm going with more pleasing. :D