Options

Shooting in Arizona...

jonkulljonkull Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
I may be going to Arizona the first week of September. I'll be staying in Sedona and plan on visiting the Grand Canyon and Sunset Crater. I'm also considering Page/Lake Powell, the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest if I can squeeze them in time-wise though it's unlikely‎.

I'd like to know if anyone familiar with these areas can recommend places to go and good times of day for photographs. Up until now I've mostly been a snapshot guy but after accumulating thousands of poorly exposed poorly composed photographs of places I may never see again I'd like to put a little more effort into this trip.

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Sedona is a good place to start. A bunch of us are headed for Page to shoot Horseshoe Bend and the slot canyons. We just came back from Toroweap (north rim) which is very difficult to get to, but is incredible.

Shoot at sunrise and sunset and avoid the harsh daylight if you want really good shots.

Dan :D
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2009
    Thanks for the response. Can you recommend any places in or around Sedona that won't be completely overrun by tourists or covered in clusters of housing developments? My wife and I were there for our anniversary last month and the amount of development that's gone on in the last few years was depressing.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2009
    jonkull wrote:
    Thanks for the response. Can you recommend any places in or around Sedona that won't be completely overrun by tourists or covered in clusters of housing developments? My wife and I were there for our anniversary last month and the amount of development that's gone on in the last few years was depressing.

Personally, I would recommend one of the Jeep tours that will take you right into the heart of it all.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Personally, I would recommend one of the Jeep tours that will take you right into the heart of it all.

I've never really considered them because I like to be on my own schedule but maybe it's worth looking into. Of course since I'll be going with a friend and leaving the wives at home we'll be able to get some hikes in.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 11, 2009
    jonkull wrote:
    I've never really considered them because I like to be on my own schedule but maybe it's worth looking into. Of course since I'll be going with a friend and leaving the wives at home we'll be able to get some hikes in.
    Yup, that's a valid concern. I can't envision doing any meaningful photography on a Jeep tour as they have a schedule to keep. Snapshots would be about it. Get a Sedona Trails map and do some hikes. You can also drive your car on easy dirt roads to some of the Indian ruins. There's a so-called "Vortex" on the airport road, half way up on the left (you'll see the parking area.) Basically, it's a big knoll you can hike up on and get some wicked views. Honestly, I don't think you're ever going to get completely away from tourists unless you get way-back somewhere. Having your own Jeep helps.

If you go to Page, take in the slot canyons, Horseshoe Bend and maybe Toad Stools. Maybe see if you can get on a tour to The Wave (or get your own permits which is difficult.) Glen Canyon Dam, and obviously numerous spots around Lake Powell can be fun. There are some places in the South Coyote Buttes which are really neat, but difficult to get to. Then there's Vermillion Cliffs and Marble Canyon, neither of which I'm very familiar with, and probably dozens more places that I know even less about. Page is wonderful.

BTW, I'm no expert on the area. I've just been doing some exploring since I've lived here for the past three years. Maybe some more knowledgeable people will chime in.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Yup, that's a valid concern. I can't envision doing any meaningful photography on a Jeep tour as they have a schedule to keep. Snapshots would be about it. Get a Sedona Trails map and do some hikes. You can also drive your car on easy dirt roads to some of the Indian ruins. There's a so-called "Vortex" on the airport road, half way up on the left (you'll see the parking area.) Basically, it's a big knoll you can hike up on and get some wicked views. Honestly, I don't think you're ever going to get completely away from tourists unless you get way-back somewhere. Having your own Jeep helps.

If you go to Page, take in the slot canyons, Horseshoe Bend and maybe Toad Stools. Maybe see if you can get on a tour to The Wave (or get your own permits which is difficult.) Glen Canyon Dam, and obviously numerous spots around Lake Powell can be fun. There are some places in the South Coyote Buttes which are really neat, but difficult to get to. Then there's Vermillion Cliffs and Marble Canyon, neither of which I'm very familiar with, and probably dozens more places that I know even less about. Page is wonderful.

BTW, I'm no expert on the area. I've just been doing some exploring since I've lived here for the past three years. Maybe some more knowledgeable people will chime in.

Regards,
    -joel

Well I'm not bothered as much by the tourists (of which I am one after all) as I am by the multitude of homes that may end up in my pictures. Though I suppose some creative camera angles would prevent that as well as getting further from town and out on some of the trails.

That aside...Maybe I should try to get to Page and not worry about Sedona (since I've been there before). I can fly into Flag, drive through Sunset Crater on my way to the Grand Canyon, spend a night at the canyon and then go right up to Page. Something to think about...
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2009
    No homes here. ne_nau.gif
    583288184_nQEYG-L.jpg

Usually I'm shooting rock formations and homes aren't an issue. However, there are some nice vistas that will have buildings and homes in them that can be quite nice if you're shooting from way up high (see aforementioned "vortex".)

Haven't been to Sunset Crater. Personally, I'd skip the Grand Canyon, but I've been there before. I can never get any shots that do it justice. Although, if you haven't seen it yet then you're pretty much obligated to go, especially if you're bringing other family members.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2009
    Nice pic. It's funny but before I had ever been to Arizona I always thought that pictures like that had their saturation boosted...until I saw fluorescent pink mountains outside of Phoenix with my own eyes. The way the rocks change color with the sun is amazing. Here in CA everything is always brown.

Sunset crater is kind of cool. It's a 35 mile long loop 16 miles north of Flagstaff. There's cinder cones, dead volcanoes, lava tubes and fields. The loop runs along the edge of the painted desert and drops in elevation so the landscape changes (pine trees and rolling hills to flat rocky desert). There's some Anasazi (I believe) ruins and trails to hike. It's worth a few of hours.

I've been to the canyon 3 times but don't have a single worthwhile picture of it.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    If you do go to antelope canyon, mid day is the time to go. It's the only time the sun penetrates to the bottom.

Also there are regular tours and photography tours. The photography tours are worth the extra cost. The tour was longer, and the guides actually shooed the other tourists out of your way.
  • Options
    AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    GREAPER wrote:
    If you do go to antelope canyon, mid day is the time to go. It's the only time the sun penetrates to the bottom.

Also there are regular tours and photography tours. The photography tours are worth the extra cost. The tour was longer, and the guides actually shooed the other tourists out of your way.

thumb.gif What he said.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    cracks knuckles and takes a deep breath.....

Sedona & Verde Valley-

Red Rock Crossing- located West of Sedona on Red Rock Loop Rd. it is a state park that offers views of Cathedral Rock- Oak Creek runs along the Southern edge- and there are several hiking trails as well as areas where people have stacked thousands of rocks into hundreds of kerns.

Devils Bridge- located West of Sedona off Dry Creek Rd. Turns to dirt for a few miles and then there is a short hike to the top of a ridge. Unspoiled views of some of Sedona's back country.

Slide Rock State Park- touristy area but kids are back in school and the water is getting cold so it shouldn't be very busy. Water area as well as historical significance to the area.

West Fork of Oak Creek- remains old buildings over run with vines in the beginning and then curved red rocks against a clear creek.

Jerome- located a little more than an hour West of Sedona on Mingus Mtn. is an old mining town with lots of old buildings, a ghost town, an art district, and has been certified haunted by all those science shows. deal.gif

Verde Canyon Railway- tourist train that runs along the verde river from Cornville AZ to Perkins Ranch.

Wet Beaver Creek- another unique water way with red rocks against clear water. Gets so narrow in spots you have no choice but to swim or turn back.

Tuzigoot National Monument- ancient pueblo ruin

Montezuma's Well- limestone sinkhole with small ruins nearbye- not for the faint of heart or out of shape if you go on the trail

Payson AZ- (2 hours from Sedona- nice curvy drive w/ rewards)

Tonto Natural Bridge- largest Travertine bridge in the world. 183 ft high- 400 ft in length and 150 at widest point. Several trails to hike - recommend Waterfall trail first which leads to a waterfall- some travertine caves- and a lush area which is hard to believe it is AZ. Then hike Pine Creek trail along the creek- down to and under the bridge (little scary at one point)- and then backup using the Gowan Trail.

Fossil Springs- West of the town of Strawberry- there is a trailhead that leads to the actual springs which pump out 22,000 gallons a minute travertine rich turqoise colored water. The hike is a mini grand canyon hike dropping 1700 feet in about 3 miles. Going down is the easy part- climbing back up can be a bear. You can also bypass the trail head and continue down the forest road until you come to the old power plant. From here the water is within easy reach and you can hike up or down stream and find waterfalls and turqoise colored pools.

Flagstaff area-

Walnut Canyon- Indian ruins along a sky island in a small canyon just East of Flagstaff. Kdog and I went there a while back but the trail was closed due to a large boulder falling on the trail- it has since be re-opened.

Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monument- volcanic crater, lava fields, and several indian ruins along the loop road

Lava River Cave- just North of Flagstaff- 1/2 mile long cave formed from volcanic lava. I am heading here Saturday so there will be some pictures posted next week.

Humphrey's Peak- highest mountain in Arizona with an elevation of almost 13,000 feet. Hiking trails among the pines and aspens as well as grass prarrie areas.

Page- Highly Recommended

Lower Antelope Canyon- pay $15 and get a photo pass good for up to 4 hours which you can even split into 2 sets of 2 hours.

Upper Antelope Canyon- two types of tours available- touristy run you up and back in 45 minutes or a 2.5 to 3 hour photo tour. pay for the photo tour with Overland Canyon Tours if a slot is available.

Canyon X- 3 small slot canyons on private property but for a good chunk of money you can be 1 of up to 6 people to see it on a given day. Again if available

Horseshoe Bend- just South of Page there is a small road leding to the trail. Walk up and over a dune to the edge of the cliff where the Colorado river forms a U 900 feet below you.

Toadstools- 30 minutes NW of Page- short hike to Hoo Doo formations

The Wave- permit only- only 12 people per day get to see this place. 6 are sold online 3 months in advance and sell out in 5 minutes. The other 6 you have to go to the BLM office and hope you are one of the first in line for the day.

Marble Canyon- Vermillion Cliffs- Unique rock formations and large cliff of the Paria Plateau.

Lake Powell- Lone Rock -Alstrom Point- or any of the marinas give you a view of the lake and some of the sandstone rocks

Additional Areas to consider that are a bit more of a drive-

Bryce Canyon
    Zion National Park
    Canyon De Chelly
    Monument Valley
    Grand Canyon South Rim
    Grand Canyon North Rim

With the exception of Antelope Canyons, Canyon X, The Wave, and the Lava Cave everything else needs to be shot within 2 hours of sunrise otherwise the sun in AZ is just too harsh. That of course is disregarded if you are here on one of the 20 overcast days we get a year. deal.gif

Good luck and have fun!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    Thanks for the list. I know about a few of those places but not most of them. I need to get moving on my trip planning...
  • Options
    Aerial-PerspectivesAerial-Perspectives Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2009
    Thats some list..!! Outstanding. I've been here 9 years and thought there weren't many places to go..
    Now I have a few weekend trips to plan..

Great Post anwmn1. Thanks

Kenny..
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Thats some list..!! Outstanding. I've been here 9 years and thought there weren't many places to go..
    Now I have a few weekend trips to plan..

Great Post anwmn1. Thanks

Kenny..

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Aaron to the rescue. I've only been here for a year and a half so I have some cracking to do as I know we have only hit a fraction of those places. I have to say having a 4wd vehicle in Arizona can take you to some of the best places.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Sexy6Chick wrote:
    Aaron to the rescue. I've only been here for a year and a half so I have some cracking to do as I know we have only hit a fraction of those places. I have to say having a 4wd vehicle in Arizona can take you to some of the best places.

Well there is 4wd and then there is YOUR 4x4. deal.gif

You need to post some ride and trail pics so all the guys can :jawdrop bowdown.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:

You need to post some ride and trail pics so all the guys can :jawdrop bowdown.gif

:lurk
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:

I never mind posting pics from the trails of the truck and our outings. I will find some good shots and post a thread. I'll post a link to the thread in here :marlin

edit: see thread here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1190439#post1190439
    ~*Natalie*~

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 21, 2009
    We had some fun 4wding last year while at Moab.

625930917_Nt9NK-M.jpg
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    devbobo wrote:

625930917_Nt9NK-M.jpg

YIKES!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    devbobo wrote:

625930917_Nt9NK-M.jpg

I wanna go to Moab! I feel like everyone has been but me haha.
    ~*Natalie*~

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery