Options

Leonesia Wilson

Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited August 22, 2009 in Street and Documentary
61053_03.jpg

I don't know what happened to the "no title" thread. I think it just disappeared without a whisper. Here is another one of mine with a title this time - the only title I usually give my photos - the name of the person in the photo.

Are there other photographers here who are interested documentary, street or pj photography? Maybe you're all on vacation right now? Hello?

Tina

www.tinamanley.com

Comments

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    I don't know what happened to the "no title" thread. I think it just disappeared without a whisper. Here is another one of mine with a title this time - the only title I usually give my photos - the name of the person in the photo.
    Very interesting shot, Tina. This image screams humble and content to me. I get the feeling that this woman has spent her life living off the land and has asked for very little in return. I really enjoy the fact that both her and the dog share an existence, here, rather than one being subservient to the other. Most excellent. thumb.gif
    Are there other photographers here who are interested documentary, street or pj photography? Maybe you're all on vacation right now? Hello?
    Um, yep. I posted some documentary-ish shots just a few days ago. Three folks commented and hundreds ignored them. Such is often the way of the forum.
    Travis
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    I'm having a hard time believing she doesn't have a bed, so I'm thinking there is some form of mimicry or play or posing taking place with Leonesia and her pooch. I do like the parallel construction (not literal) between the two. It seems like the dog's eyes are open and I could imagine it's thinking "what are those stupid humans up too. I just want to sleep..."

I do pretty much only doco, street, PJ-style work and really enjoy seeing other's work in the same vein. I'm just waiting on the current wave of beauty work to pass through before posting anything new. It seems to come in waves. Plus, I've been on a business trip for the last four days so nothing new to share.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I'm having a hard time believing she doesn't have a bed, so I'm thinking there is some form of mimicry or play or posing taking place with Leonesia and her pooch.

Leonesia had a stroke and her daughter gets her up every morning and dresses her and puts her on the floor where she can see the river through the doorway.

I'd love to see more documentary work here!

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Excellent
    Tina,
    That's a seriously fine shot. The woman's body tone or lack thereof (the lay of her legs is unnatural as is how her head is positioned) communicated to me that some story was there beyond the impoverished setting. You also preserved her dignity. Thanks for providing the back story--it gave me pause.

I like how the outside is almost unreal looking.

Is this part of a series of shots?

M
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009

M
    Thanks, Miguel. Yes, I spent a week in this village on the Mosquito Coast of Honduras. I haven't finished scanning all of the photos yet, though. This was when I carried M7's and film. mwink.gif

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I actually waited to respond to this, because my initial gut response was so different to comments others were making that I thought I'd missed something.

To me, something was very "wrong" in her floor position and I found it more disturbing than serene or playful - I almost questioned whether or not she had died (aided by the watchful sense of the dog with her). The photo gave me a great deal of pause for thought as I tried to parse what I was seeing.

I see that the reality is every bit as moving as I suspected it must be, even if I wrongly "interpreted" the full story from the clues in the photo.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    The back story of the stroke makes the image all the more compelling, but even with out it, whatever had Leonesia on the floor: exhaustion, lack of bed, lack of mobility; was compelling and sobering. The mirrored position by the dog amplifies this. When I parused your gallery after you posted the two girls at the Taj Mahal, this was one that popped out at me.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Tina,
    That's a seriously fine shot. The woman's body tone or lack thereof (the lay of her legs is unnatural as is how her head is positioned) communicated to me that some story was there beyond the impoverished setting. You also preserved her dignity. Thanks for providing the back story--it gave me pause.

I like how the outside is almost unreal looking.

M
    Nice one, Tina - Human/animal connection is terrific, and framing gives us other objects/details to suggest lives of both human and animal subjects.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed