Options

How to change jpeg file name in bulk?

gooseattackgooseattack Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited June 9, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I remember reading somewhere that you can download a software/patch that allows you can change file names in bulk. Can anyone direct me to that link?

I take a large some of pictures at once. All file names look something like IMG_4028.JPG. I would like to name it "Superbowl Party 01.JPG" and so forth, so that the words "Superbowl" and "Party" are automatically set as the keywords. This might also increase Google search results (I'm not sure about this) -- Though the words "Rachel" might come up in page 402,693,203 in the search results :D

www.gooseattack.com

Comments

• Options
    edited June 9, 2005
    I may have mis-read it somwhere, but does anyone know of any programs that would do a batch file name change?

Most of my images are named like IMG_3813.JPG (automatically name by my Canon digital camera)
    Let's say that I have 50 images in this folder, and I would like to individually name them "Superbowl Party 01.JPG", "Superbowl Party 02.JPG" and so forth...from these IMG_3813.JPG, IMG_3814.JPG files.

Does anyone know of a program that does these bulk/batch file renaming?

Thanks a bunch! :):

www.gooseattack.com
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    It's called Photoshop..
    Its File Browser (v7, CS) or Bridge (CS2) can do just that.

If you don't have PS, it's relatively easy to create an app/script/batch file that would do it for you.. That would require certain programming skills, thoughheadscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    You can always check VersionTracker and search for renamer.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Windows XP allows bulk name change.

Select all the files. Right click on the top file, then rename it, for example superbowl 2005, it will then rename all the selected files in numbered order as such: superbowl 2005 (1), superbowl 2005 (2), etc.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Yep, totally forgot about this
    Khaos wrote:
    Windows XP allows bulk name change.

Select all the files. Right click on the top file, then rename it, for example superbowl 2005, it will then rename all the selected files in numbered order as such: superbowl 2005 (1), superbowl 2005 (2), etc.
    Thought of it on my way to work, but by the time I got here you beat me to it:-)thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Bulk Rename Utility is one such program (there are others). You can find it here:
    http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

I remember reading somewhere that you can download a software/patch that allows you can change file names in bulk. Can anyone direct me to that link?

I take a large some of pictures at once. All file names look something like IMG_4028.JPG. I would like to name it "Superbowl Party 01.JPG" and so forth, so that the words "Superbowl" and "Party" are automatically set as the keywords. This might also increase Google search results (I'm not sure about this) -- Though the words "Rachel" might come up in page 402,693,203 in the search results :D

www.gooseattack.com
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2005
    Thanks a bunch! That really helped thumb.gif