Options

Decisive Moments

bochiebochie Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
edited June 9, 2005 in Landscapes
Just found out how exciting silhoutte photography can be.
Beside, I don't have to worry about people's expressions :rolleyes

I'd appreciate any suggestion to improve the image/composition.

42930454.jpg

42930455.jpg
"Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you." - Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.pbase.com/bochie

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    I like the shots. The outlines are nice and crisp, with excellent detail. I am more drawn to the second shot, but like the warmth of the colour in the first. For sure the second is the stronger of the two in my opinion.

Nice to see you on dgrin.

Brad
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Bochie,

I love both shots!! They convey a sense of innocence of childhood, purity - children in play with no worries on their minds. The silhouettes make the images simple, they focus my attention to the children, nothing to distract you from the children.
    I think the composition in the second shot is a little more pleasing - the slanted slope with the tree at the right - I'm guessing those are two boys watching the girl cartwheel - really fantastic composition and beautiful shot. I think this shot is worth tinkering with to get rid of the article on the ground to the right of the boys (it's the only distraction in the shot) and boost the orange to get the dramatic lighting like in the first shot.

I have to say again - I LOVE THESE SHOTS!! (maybe it has something to do with being a parent?)

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Hey Bochie!
    I love these man-very well done. Especially the post work\sharpening, just right without get jaggies and all.

A very unique way to capture the scene, and as Nir said, they really do capture 'childhood' in a very real way.

One small, and I mean very small, well...maybe...very, very, very small *niggle*-the water bottle outline in the first shot dead center. Not worth trying to remove, but it did catch my eye.

Again, really nice work!

Take care,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Great shots!
    Very clean silhouettes!
    Was it real sky color or you played with LAB mode?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Bochie, talk about a strong start! These are very cool! If I had my druthers, you'd see more of the kids' legs in the first shot, and the sky would be brighter in the second shot. But these are really nice! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    I wish I had taken them, just as is. If the colors were evened out, and they can be, would make good illustrations for a kids book, mag article, whatever.

I like the action of the cartwheel, particularly downhill.

My only question would be, WHERE did you get these fantastic models, with no messy background, etc.

ginger

the girl is wearing a skirt???? That is suspicious, usually it is pants, shorts, you got winners and ran with them.................good.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited June 9, 2005
    Boy, these are some nice shots!

I think the second shot is stronger than the first. The action of the cartwheel
    and the two observers is classic. Simple, strong statement here.

The lighting in the first shot is far stronger than the second. But the problem
    is that you cut the feet off the kids in the shot.

Very nice shots here and welcome to dgrin!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    clap.gifLovely. I really love them both!
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    very nice shots thumb.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Bochie
    Wow awesome photos very nice clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Would you share your workflow on these?

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    I prefer the second - shows more of a "scene". Very nicely done.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Excellent work, the second shot should be framed and proudly displayed... clap.gif

Ed
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    It's already been said by...
    everyone else so I have nothing to add but Welcome. I also think #2 is the stronger shot because of the feet issue in #1. #1 is quite nostalgic.

So, are you going to share your technique and settings?

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    bochiebochie Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro Super II
    Wow, thank you everybody for all the responses.
    I really appreciate it.

I was planning to take pictures of my wife flying a kite that day, but as the sun went down, I thought the kids playing on the hill were more interesting.
    The second picture was taken a bit earlier than the first one, that's why the color is less dramatic. They were taken at Freestone Park.

Both pictures were taken using Nikon D70 + Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro Super II @ 1/500s f/11.0 ISO 200. I metered the brightest part and adjust a little to get that settings. In camera sharpening set to high and they were shot in NEF. Processed with NC, playing with WB. I think I use shade to make it warmer, boost the saturation a tad. The original background light is more paller than this. Although if you live in AZ for a while, you will definately see those amazing saturated sunset colors.
    After NC, I process the pictures further in PS. I believed I adjust the curve a little and small amount of USM (130, 0.3, 0). Crop to remove some of the bottom part and make the slopping hill closer to the corner. I thought about removing the object on the ground but I forgot about it (and lazy too).

One thing that I regret is I did not use the burst mode to capture more frame (and I had set it to burst everytime too ne_nau.gif). Makes me wonder forever how the first one will look without the feet cut out.

I went back to the same park a couple of times after that but never found similar situations anymore.
    "Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
    It will never fail you." - Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.pbase.com/bochie
  • Options
    tsackmanntsackmann Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Great!
    I love that first photo! I stared at it for so long looking at each child that then the 2nd one didn't compare to it. (although I won't deny that it's good too) I guess it's just the color and the great profiles in the 1st shot that draws me in. (from the left) #1's hair flipping up, #2's perfect little boy look and the last girl's great facial profile! The water bottle as mentioned earlier did bother me a bit but I didn't notice it till after studying each child. I think you should keep your eye on that hill like you said you're doing. Good job!