Options

Looking for some feedback...

MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
edited August 26, 2009 in Journeys
...This is my first posting of pictures in DGrin - I'm very much a n00b but I want to learn so I'm hoping you guys could give me some feedback on some shots I took in NYC on a recent trip there. All taken with a D90 and a Nikor 18-200mm lens. No post processing, even cropping - just standard jpgs straight from the camera. What do you think of the pics? Any feedback/pointers are appreciated :thumb

1: Not sure why I like this one - I like the way only one of them is looking at the camera. Kinda think this one needs cropping
569902943_PHTPd-L.jpg

2: This is a billboard in the village. Just liked the way it positioned against the buildings
569871608_df73d-L.jpg

3: Taken in my favourite pub in NYC - The Spotted Pig.
569870510_JRa2X-L.jpg

4: Mavette, who doesn't like having her pic taken...
569880599_kxNoe-L.jpg

5: How many water towers?! Taken from the hotel room window.
569887117_97xdy-L.jpg

6: Probably shoulda had a tripod...
569891392_cEErX-L.jpg

7: Just a really interesting bicycle...
569898890_UcRW9-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PinkShoesRCoolPinkShoesRCool Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    #5 & #7 are my favorites.

I agree that #1 should be cropped. My eye is fighting between the front row of cones and the men standing around. Although the guy looking out the window is fairly interesting too.
    #3 is a great concept, but the pig's face is too soft.
    #6 is a great concept and you may be able to clean it up in PP, I'd actually like to see if you could remove the diners and make it only about the shapes on the table & around the room.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    I like #5! It has great depth.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited August 23, 2009
    #5 & #7 are my favorites.

I agree that #1 should be cropped. My eye is fighting between the front row of cones and the men standing around. Although the guy looking out the window is fairly interesting too.
    #3 is a great concept, but the pig's face is too soft.
    #6 is a great concept and you may be able to clean it up in PP, I'd actually like to see if you could remove the diners and make it only about the shapes on the table & around the room.

I like 5 and 7 too. I'm gonna try and get 5 printed up. As for 7, here's another I took at the time:

569900049_QZ3dp-L.jpg

With regards he pig... what made it too soft? More specifically, what should I have done to make it sharper - is it simply out of focus?

As for 1 and 6 - I'll have a crack at cropping them. (Although I don't see the guy staring out of te window headscratch.gif )

Thanks for your feedback thumb.gif

leaforte wrote:
    I like #5! It has great depth.

Looks like 5 is winner clap.gif
  • Options
    PinkShoesRCoolPinkShoesRCool Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Ok, so I must have been seeing things last night, because now that I've looked again, I don't see anything in the window that I thought I did! WOW! I need more sleep. I like the new shot of the bike, but the original is better to me. Maybe the new one in B&W would be better?

As far as the pig goes, I'm not sure if its camera shake or just out of focus, but to me the face should be sharper than what it is, especially around the eye. I love the soft background, so maybe next time if you're using AF use single point and make sure the face area is sharp, the rest can be softer for an interesting photo.
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    I really like #7 the most since the subject matter is composed very well.

With #5, I have a problem with focus. My eyes just wonder around searching for something interesting. Maybe with some post processing you can lead the viewers eyes to the bizarreness of so many water towers.

Eventhough #6 is well composed, the people in the background ruin it for me. Without them, this shot would be excellent even without tack sharpness.

Thank you for posting your shots. It is such a joy to see how others view there surroundings in such a unique way.thumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Thanks for your posts. I can't pick a favorite, they all have a special appeal. I look forward to your next work.

AndyW
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    dadwtwins wrote:
    I really like #7 the most since the subject matter is composed very well.

With #5, I have a problem with focus. My eyes just wonder around searching for something interesting. Maybe with some post processing you can lead the viewers eyes to the bizarreness of so many water towers.

Eventhough #6 is well composed, the people in the background ruin it for me. Without them, this shot would be excellent even without tack sharpness.

Thank you for posting your shots. It is such a joy to see how others view there surroundings in such a unique way.thumb.gif

Thanks for the feedback - I have similar feelings about 5 but I couldn't work out what to do to help... I'll have a play with the RAW image. On 6, it's good to know that others think that, in principle, it's a good shot. Next time, I'll ask the other patrons to leave :D
    1andyw wrote:
    Thanks for your posts. I can't pick a favorite, they all have a special appeal. I look forward to your next work.

AndyW

Thanks for all your feednack chaps thumb.gif I've only just started taking photos so it's great to get some feedback both constructive as well as positive. It's also great motivation to get out there and take some more!

Cheers

Mav
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Mav wrote:
    On 6, it's good to know that others think that, in principle, it's a good shot. Next time, I'll ask the other patrons to leave :D

Mav

Just tell them it is for the pureness of the art that they must get up and get out of the wayrolleyes1.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/