AlbumFetcher - Download multiple galleries w/ embedded captions and keywords

Comments

• bobsobobso Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 26, 2009
    keyword based downloading
    Hi Greg,

Boy did I nearly fall off my chair when I saw that keyword-based downloading would be included in the latest release! Been waiting for that feature for awhile. After I downloaded v 3.6, however, I am baffled on how to actually download specific photos from a gallery(s) based on a photo keyword - that is, I don't see how to tell AlbumFetcher v3.6 what keyword to look for and to only download those photos in the selected galleries containing that keyword.

Am I missing something obvious here? Does "latest capture" mean your next version release?

Thanks for a great app!

Bob
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    bobso wrote:
    Hi Greg,

Boy did I nearly fall off my chair when I saw that keyword-based downloading would be included in the latest release! Been waiting for that feature for awhile. After I downloaded v 3.6, however, I am baffled on how to actually download specific photos from a gallery(s) based on a photo keyword - that is, I don't see how to tell AlbumFetcher v3.6 what keyword to look for and to only download those photos in the selected galleries containing that keyword.

Am I missing something obvious here? Does "latest capture" mean your next version release?

Thanks for a great app!

Bob

Sorry to get your hopes up... I intended that list to be my "to-do list" next time I sit down to do some work.
  • bobsobobso Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 27, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Sorry to get your hopes up... I intended that list to be my "to-do list" next time I sit down to do some work.
    No problem, I've been waiting a year or two for that feature so I can wait a little bit longer.

BTW, I just used AF to download a 1,400 picture gallery that my son uploaded while travelling overseas - awesome!

Tks again,
    Bob
  • rkphillipsrkphillips Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 27, 2009
    Problem
    I'm a Mac user but had a friend use AlbumFetcher on his PC to attempt to download 5 of my galleries of a recent trip I took to New York. I was under the impression that AlbumFetcher would also download the captions I spent hours writing. Photos downloaded but no captions came with the photos. So, I guess there is NO application whatsoever for PCs or Macs that can download anything but the photo(s).????? I'm very disappointed.

wellman wrote:
    **Mac User? Go here.**

I'm pleased to announce the release of AlbumFetcher! AlbumFetcher is a little pet project of mine which I've decided to make freely available to the SmugMug community. I've received amazing amounts of help (and ideas) through these forums, and this my way of saying thanks. It's a simple little app that serves two main functions:

1. Download one or many SmugMug galleries at once
    2. Embed captions and keywords into your downloaded images' IPTC headers

AlbumFetcher should run on Win2000, WinXP and above. It has been reported to run under Wine on Linux and through Parallels on a Mac. It's a single file, so it's easily portable and doesn't need to be installed. AlbumFetcher is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This DGrin thread will be the project's home page. Feedback is extremely appreciated, and if there are bugs and/or other issues (as there always are), please let me know here. This is a hobby, so I can't hope to live up to SmugMug's standard of customer service, but I will try to help you out if you're having an issue with the software. One word of caution - beware of the total number of bytes you download. You could easily run up against your monthly bandwith limit.

Again, this is yours to use forever for free. However, if you're a fan of my little app and feel so inclined, you can send me the electronic equivalent of the adult beverage of your choice here. mwink.gif

Enjoy!
    -Greg

Current version: v0.3.6 (July 8, 2009) - Application | Source
    (Clicking these links will take you to a drop.io page, where you can click "Download" to get the file.)

How Does it Work?
    1. Download AlbumFetcher (zip file) with the link above.
    2. Use WinZip or your favorite zip program to extract AlbumFetcher.exe (the program) to the folder of your choice (maybe the desktop).
    3. Double-click the AlbumFetcher program icon.
    4. If you're an account owner: In the top-right corner, enter your SmugMug ID and password. If you're a guest: Switch the login type selector to Guest. Then enter the SmugMug ID of the account you'd like to work with. You'll only have access to listed public galleries. (SmugMug ID means either your email address which is registered with SmugMug or the yourname part of yourname.smugmug.com. Your ID and password go directly to SmugMug; there's nobody listening in between.)
    5. Click List Albums. A listing of all your albums will appear.
    6. In the Download Options box (on the right), pick a folder to save albums to. Also pick the image sizes and other options as you wish.
    7. Click the list to select albums for download. Use Ctrl-clicking or Shift-clicking to select more than one.
    8. Click Fetch Albums. AlbumFetcher will now download your requested albums at the size you specified.
    9. Have a tasty beverage.

UPDATE, Nov 14 2006:
    I've incorporated some of Pat Kane's requests and some improvements of my own into v0.2. New features include:
    1. Datetime stamp for each line in log file
    2. Files with same original name are now handled successfully (an underscore is prepended to the second file's name).
    3. Users can optionally skip over previously downloaded images (helpful when a download fails and you want to start over, but not re-download all the successful images).
    4. Category/subcategory info is shown as a field in the list control.
    5. A thumbnail of the image currently being downloaded is displayed.
    6. Total time statistics are recorded when a job is completed successfully.
    7. MD5 hashes are now compared. Files that fail the comparison are left alone, but a note is made in the log file.
    Again, enjoy! :D
    -Greg

UPDATE, Nov 16 2006:

Pat Kane pointed out a bug in the folder selector, which is now fixed. Current version is now 0.2.1. Thanks, Pat! :D

UPDATE, Jan 11 2008:

I'm pleased to announce the release of AlbumFetcher v0.3. There are several improvements in this release. Read on for details.
    1. Multiple login options - Users may now login to SmugMug as account owner, guest, or guest with site password. If you're uncomfortable with other people being able to bulk-download your images, set your external linking option (in gallery customization) to "No."
    2. Album-level password support - Guests may download password-protected galleries (with the proper password of course).
    3. Selectable image size for download - Choose which size you want! AlbumFetcher will find the next largest available if logged in as guest and requested size is not available.
    4. Video support - Choose which size you want! AlbumFetcher will find the next largest available if logged in as guest and requested size is not available. Support is also included for legacy mpeg-1 videos.
    5. As inspired by SmugMug, AlbumFetcher is stretchy!
    6. No more runtime errors - (Fingers crossed.) AlbumFetcher has essentially been completely rewritten. I found a few scenarios that caused the app to crash during my development process, and they've been eliminated. I've successfully downloaded thousands of images while testing. Let me know if you still have runtime problems.

UPDATE, Jan 12 2008:

Scott Walter pointed out a bug which caused the app to crash when downloading GIFs, which is now fixed. Current version is now 0.3.1. Thanks, Scott! :D

UPDATE, Jan 29 2008:

A few people were having similar issues. Basically AlbumFetcher was bombing out if it tried to download an image which was missing (for whatever rare reason) on SmugMug. This is now handled more gracefully in new Version 0.3.2 (link above) - AlbumFetcher will stop the download and report the error (instead of crashing).

UPDATE, Mar 3 2008:

AlbumFetcher is now compatible with SmugMug's security changes (use of keys).

UPDATE, Dec 15 2008:

It's been a pleasure over the past two years to see AlbumFetcher become a useful little download utility for members of the SmugMug family. The users of AlbumFetcher deserve a product that will continue to evolve and keep up with the latest SmugMug features (hidden photos, SmugVault, etc). To use the catchphrase circulating at work, I no longer have the personal bandwidth to keep AlbumFetcher current.

This thread is a call for help for someone to take the AlbumFetcher reins. The code is simple Microsoft Visual C++, using MFC. If there's anyone interested in taking the project over as-is or porting it to something cross-platform, let me know.

Thanks, and thanks again to those who've had kind words and future ideas for AlbumFetcher.

UPDATE, June 17 2009:

Version 0.3.4 is out. This fixes some issues uncovered by some API changes. AF has to be smarter about how it reads responses from SmugMug now. :D Also, a fix suggested by t0mt0m related to photos from iPhones has been incorporated. Thanks for your patience on this one; the issue was hard to find.

UPDATE, July 7 2009:

Version 0.3.5 is out. Thanks to derf for finding a bug which caused AlbumFetcher to die when the filename recorded by SmugMug contains invalid characters for a directory structure. Now fixed.

UPDATE, July 8 2009:

I forgot to update one of the version number lines of text in v0.3.5. To keep things straight, I updated everything to v0.3.6, which is now available via the links above.
    edited July 28, 2009
    rkphillips wrote:
    I'm a Mac user but had a friend use AlbumFetcher on his PC to attempt to download 5 of my galleries of a recent trip I took to New York. I was under the impression that AlbumFetcher would also download the captions I spent hours writing. Photos downloaded but no captions came with the photos. So, I guess there is NO application whatsoever for PCs or Macs that can download anything but the photo(s).????? I'm very disappointed.

AlbumFetcher should be doing exactly what you describe. If the "embed captions" box is checked, the captions stored on SmugMug get embedded into the metadata of each individual photo as it's downloaded. If this isn't happening for you, let me know.
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    AlbumFetcher should be doing exactly what you describe. If the "embed captions" box is checked, the captions stored on SmugMug get embedded into the metadata of each individual photo as it's downloaded. If this isn't happening for you, let me know.
    Greg, FYI... Downloaded album this AM with IPTC data OK. Captions/keywords show in Lightroom 2.4 and PSE7. No problems.

However there was a problem when uploading back to Smugmug using Simple Loader. The keywords came back with double commas ",," on the end of the string that prevented keywords from being displayed fully. I had to delete them before the keywords would show correctly. Don't know why the commas were added. A bug somewhere....
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • prahapraha Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 29, 2009
    Downloading not working- HELP!
    I tried using the downloader for the first time and it began great but at my 10th picture it stopped downloading and said that it aborted the download. I've continued to try and it keeps doing it. A few times it downloaded a few more pics but then stopped. I am using a PC. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!
    edited July 30, 2009
    praha wrote:
    I tried using the downloader for the first time and it began great but at my 10th picture it stopped downloading and said that it aborted the download. I've continued to try and it keeps doing it. A few times it downloaded a few more pics but then stopped. I am using a PC. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

Make sure you have v0.3.6, the latest.
  • ndsimmndsimm Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I tried downloading the latest version and the link appears to be broken...
  • colscols Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2009
    ndsimm wrote:

same here :cry
    edited August 11, 2009
    ndsimm wrote:

Sorry folks. Drop.io took down my drop for some reason. I'll follow up with their customer support. In the meantime, there's a new link available in the first post.
    edited August 17, 2009
    Latest to-do list...
    • Keyword-based downloading (an oldie but goodie)
    • Fetch photos based on gallery or sharegroup URL
    • Auto-restart after abort
    • Save settings (local download folder, etc) in sidecar file
    • Sortable list of galleries
  • baryzubaryzu Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2009
    Run Time Error
    I just downloaded latest vesion AF. Actually downloaded twice just to be sure nothing was corrupted in download. Received run time error after AF retrieved 2-5 of my pictures. I then restarted PC (running xp) and tried again. This time got to 10 photos before run time error occurred. I'm a computer user but not technically savvy. Are there settings I should be modifying to run AF? Appreciate your troubleshootong help.headscratch.gif

wellman wrote:
    **Mac User? Go here.**

I'm pleased to announce the release of AlbumFetcher! AlbumFetcher is a little pet project of mine which I've decided to make freely available to the SmugMug community. I've received amazing amounts of help (and ideas) through these forums, and this my way of saying thanks. It's a simple little app that serves two main functions:

1. Download one or many SmugMug galleries at once
    2. Embed captions and keywords into your downloaded images' IPTC headers

AlbumFetcher should run on Win2000, WinXP and above. It has been reported to run under Wine on Linux and through Parallels on a Mac. It's a single file, so it's easily portable and doesn't need to be installed. AlbumFetcher is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This DGrin thread will be the project's home page. Feedback is extremely appreciated, and if there are bugs and/or other issues (as there always are), please let me know here. This is a hobby, so I can't hope to live up to SmugMug's standard of customer service, but I will try to help you out if you're having an issue with the software. One word of caution - beware of the total number of bytes you download. You could easily run up against your monthly bandwith limit.

Again, this is yours to use forever for free. However, if you're a fan of my little app and feel so inclined, you can send me the electronic equivalent of the adult beverage of your choice here. mwink.gif

Enjoy!
    -Greg

Current version: v0.3.6 (July 8, 2009) - Application | Source
    (Clicking these links will take you to a drop.io page, where you can click "Download" to get the file.)

How Does it Work?
    1. Download AlbumFetcher (zip file) with the link above.
    2. Use WinZip or your favorite zip program to extract AlbumFetcher.exe (the program) to the folder of your choice (maybe the desktop).
    3. Double-click the AlbumFetcher program icon.
    4. If you're an account owner: In the top-right corner, enter your SmugMug ID and password. If you're a guest: Switch the login type selector to Guest. Then enter the SmugMug ID of the account you'd like to work with. You'll only have access to listed public galleries. (SmugMug ID means either your email address which is registered with SmugMug or the yourname part of yourname.smugmug.com. Your ID and password go directly to SmugMug; there's nobody listening in between.)
    5. Click List Albums. A listing of all your albums will appear.
    6. In the Download Options box (on the right), pick a folder to save albums to. Also pick the image sizes and other options as you wish.
    7. Click the list to select albums for download. Use Ctrl-clicking or Shift-clicking to select more than one.
    8. Click Fetch Albums. AlbumFetcher will now download your requested albums at the size you specified.
    9. Have a tasty beverage.

UPDATE, Nov 14 2006:
    I've incorporated some of Pat Kane's requests and some improvements of my own into v0.2. New features include:
    1. Datetime stamp for each line in log file
    2. Files with same original name are now handled successfully (an underscore is prepended to the second file's name).
    3. Users can optionally skip over previously downloaded images (helpful when a download fails and you want to start over, but not re-download all the successful images).
    4. Category/subcategory info is shown as a field in the list control.
    5. A thumbnail of the image currently being downloaded is displayed.
    6. Total time statistics are recorded when a job is completed successfully.
    7. MD5 hashes are now compared. Files that fail the comparison are left alone, but a note is made in the log file.
    Again, enjoy! :D
    -Greg

UPDATE, Nov 16 2006:
    Pat Kane pointed out a bug in the folder selector, which is now fixed. Current version is now 0.2.1. Thanks, Pat! :D

UPDATE, Jan 11 2008:
    I'm pleased to announce the release of AlbumFetcher v0.3. There are several improvements in this release. Read on for details.
    1. Multiple login options - Users may now login to SmugMug as account owner, guest, or guest with site password. If you're uncomfortable with other people being able to bulk-download your images, set your external linking option (in gallery customization) to "No."
    2. Album-level password support - Guests may download password-protected galleries (with the proper password of course).
    3. Selectable image size for download - Choose which size you want! AlbumFetcher will find the next largest available if logged in as guest and requested size is not available.
    4. Video support - Choose which size you want! AlbumFetcher will find the next largest available if logged in as guest and requested size is not available. Support is also included for legacy mpeg-1 videos.
    5. As inspired by SmugMug, AlbumFetcher is stretchy!
    6. No more runtime errors - (Fingers crossed.) AlbumFetcher has essentially been completely rewritten. I found a few scenarios that caused the app to crash during my development process, and they've been eliminated. I've successfully downloaded thousands of images while testing. Let me know if you still have runtime problems.

UPDATE, Jan 12 2008:
    Scott Walter pointed out a bug which caused the app to crash when downloading GIFs, which is now fixed. Current version is now 0.3.1. Thanks, Scott! :D

UPDATE, Jan 29 2008:
    A few people were having similar issues. Basically AlbumFetcher was bombing out if it tried to download an image which was missing (for whatever rare reason) on SmugMug. This is now handled more gracefully in new Version 0.3.2 (link above) - AlbumFetcher will stop the download and report the error (instead of crashing).

UPDATE, Mar 3 2008:
    AlbumFetcher is now compatible with SmugMug's security changes (use of keys).

UPDATE, Dec 15 2008:
    It's been a pleasure over the past two years to see AlbumFetcher become a useful little download utility for members of the SmugMug family. The users of AlbumFetcher deserve a product that will continue to evolve and keep up with the latest SmugMug features (hidden photos, SmugVault, etc). To use the catchphrase circulating at work, I no longer have the personal bandwidth to keep AlbumFetcher current.

This thread is a call for help for someone to take the AlbumFetcher reins. The code is simple Microsoft Visual C++, using MFC. If there's anyone interested in taking the project over as-is or porting it to something cross-platform, let me know.

Thanks, and thanks again to those who've had kind words and future ideas for AlbumFetcher.

UPDATE, June 17 2009:
    Version 0.3.4 is out. This fixes some issues uncovered by some API changes. AF has to be smarter about how it reads responses from SmugMug now. :D Also, a fix suggested by t0mt0m related to photos from iPhones has been incorporated. Thanks for your patience on this one; the issue was hard to find.

UPDATE, July 7 2009:
    Version 0.3.5 is out. Thanks to derf for finding a bug which caused AlbumFetcher to die when the filename recorded by SmugMug contains invalid characters for a directory structure. Now fixed.

UPDATE, July 8 2009:
    I forgot to update one of the version number lines of text in v0.3.5. To keep things straight, I updated everything to v0.3.6, which is now available via the links above.
  • mk12345mk12345 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    View/access to captions
    I just downloaded some images from smugmug that had captions. How can I view or access these captions?

Thank you!
    Mark
  • SouwalkerSouwalker Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Session ID Extraction Failed
    Hi

I just d/loaded and installed v0.3.6.

I login using my Smugmug ID /Password, select the List Album button and I get the Session ID Extration Failed error message.

Any clues?

Thanks
    Patrick
    baryzu wrote:
    I just downloaded latest vesion AF. Actually downloaded twice just to be sure nothing was corrupted in download. Received run time error after AF retrieved 2-5 of my pictures. I then restarted PC (running xp) and tried again. This time got to 10 photos before run time error occurred. I'm a computer user but not technically savvy. Are there settings I should be modifying to run AF? Appreciate your troubleshootong help.headscratch.gif

Not sure... Are you still having trouble?
    mk12345 wrote:
    I just downloaded some images from smugmug that had captions. How can I view or access these captions?

Thank you!
    Mark

The captions should be viewable in image-display apps that support examining metadata. The first that spring to mind are FastStone, IrfanView, Adobe products, Windows Photo Gallery, etc.
    Souwalker wrote:
    Hi

I just d/loaded and installed v0.3.6.

I login using my Smugmug ID /Password, select the List Album button and I get the Session ID Extration Failed error message.

Any clues?

Thanks
    Patrick

That's a new one... Do you have any non-alphanumeric characters in your userid?
  • smugdocsmugdoc Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    Love this program.

I have about 12000 photos that I'd like to download, but I'm finding that the program stops d/loading after it gets 20 or so photos. Sometimes it stops after a 100 or so. It's variable. If I click Fetch again, it skips over the already downloaded albums and resumes.

Also, any chance of subfolders based on Categories?

In any case, once I download my entire album, I'm PP'ing you some $.

Thanks!
  • SouwalkerSouwalker Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    wellman wrote:
    That's a new one... Do you have any non-alphanumeric characters in your userid?

It's working fine now after I restarted the program. Used it propelry last night d/loading abt 60 images from various galleriesclap.gif I found out too that I can d/load more then one gallery at one go.

Great utility.

Rgds
    Pat
    smugdoc wrote:
    Love this program.

I have about 12000 photos that I'd like to download, but I'm finding that the program stops d/loading after it gets 20 or so photos. Sometimes it stops after a 100 or so. It's variable. If I click Fetch again, it skips over the already downloaded albums and resumes.

Also, any chance of subfolders based on Categories?

In any case, once I download my entire album, I'm PP'ing you some $.

Thanks!

What platform are you running on?
    Souwalker wrote:
    It's working fine now after I restarted the program. Used it propelry last night d/loading abt 60 images from various galleriesclap.gif I found out too that I can d/load more then one gallery at one go.

Great utility.

Rgds
    Pat
    Glad it's working well for you. Thanks! :D
    wellman wrote:
    What platform are you running on?

Windows 7 Pro RTM

Still an awesomely slick program.
  • Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    Love this program! What a time saver. My only its bitsy gripe is not being able to sort the galleries by name. That would be huge since I have hundreds of galleries. It takes some time and effort (for me) to find the gallery. But if I could sort these by Album Title...wow! It would be awesome. Or even by Count or Category.

Please? bowdown.gif

I click on the headings in the window but nothing happens.
    edited September 22, 2009
    smugdoc wrote:
    Windows 7 Pro RTM

Figured out why Albumfetcher stops after download anywhere from 20 - 100 photos. It has to do with Windows 7 Pro. When I run Albumfetcher under XP Mode (Virtual) then it works perfectly. Go figure.
    edited September 22, 2009
    smugdoc wrote:
    Figured out why Albumfetcher stops after download anywhere from 20 - 100 photos. It has to do with Windows 7 Pro. When I run Albumfetcher under XP Mode (Virtual) then it works perfectly. Go figure.

Thanks for the datapoint. Once I move to Win7 I'll have to recompile and see what bugs crop up.
    edited September 25, 2009
    Download aborted?
    Starting today, I'm getting the problem of the download aborting prematurely (not downloading anything!).

Here is the error log:

9/25/2009 7:53:32 AM: HTTP status not OK. Code: 404.
    9/25/2009 7:53:32 AM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsFile call.

Any thoughts?
    edited September 25, 2009
    smugdoc wrote:
    Starting today, I'm getting the problem of the download aborting prematurely (not downloading anything!).

Here is the error log:

9/25/2009 7:53:32 AM: HTTP status not OK. Code: 404.
    9/25/2009 7:53:32 AM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsFile call.

Any thoughts?

Is SmugMug up? An HTTP 404 code means the URL requested is simply unavailable.
    edited September 26, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Is SmugMug up? An HTTP 404 code means the URL requested is simply unavailable.

Smugmug is definitely up. I'm able to list albums... Tried restarting a few times.

Nevermind. I changed my album permissions to allow downloading originals and it worked. Weird that I had to do that even though I have Login as Owner.
  • nesierf1nesierf1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 29, 2009
    AlbumFetcher any file size limitations?
    Thank for the great download program. I was able to log in as a guest and download several of my friends picture albums, however one of them keeps giving me "Error in Feching image data" Any ideas why? I can view this particular album in smugmug fine, would like to be able to download it, is there album size limits?headscratch.gif PS - first time here, awesome website-thanks