Seattle On My Mind

thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
edited August 26, 2009 in Street and Documentary
A snapshot I kinda like. :D

630308894_VFPYE-XL.jpg
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

Comments

• imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Wow! I "kinda" like it, too! Not---I REALLY like it, a lot!!!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Very nice! I like it a lot!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    That's an artful shot. One of the rare instances of selective desaturation that I truly enjoy.

Looks like it was taken on a ferry.

M
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Interesting. The subject looks quizzical, and the reflection almost has a smile. Very nice Seattle subjective.
    Growing with Dgrin

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    I kinda like it too. :D I really like your processing. Selective coloring can look really corny in some instances but it doesn't do that here. Instead, it adds to the story the photo is telling.

Nice work, Mahesh!!!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Love the lighting on the subject. The purple and blue in the window is giving me problems in parsing. It's an interesting effect because the "windows" of the purple color partly frame the windows the the apartments going by, which is very cool. Love the just enough of the needle to say, "Seattle" against the very 'any-city' apartments of the foreground.

What is causing that purple grid?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    thapamd wrote:

If you're "snap shots" are composed that well, I can't help wondering what your serious efforts look like.mwink.gif However...I would definitely lose the color - it's distracting and degrades an otherwise strong image.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited August 26, 2009
    I believe the shot was taken on the monorail, or a ferry. They may have coated double pane windows, and we're seeing artifacts from the sun hitting them at a certain angle.

M
    adbsgicom wrote:
    [deleted]

What is causing that purple grid?
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Great shot, the bright pink/red reminds me of a flowering shrub or such. A very interesting photo, I like it a lot!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Thank you, everyone! People photography is not my thing...I'm a landscape photographer at heart :D I'm happy to see this shot was so well received wings.gif

The purple and blue color is from outside. the shot is actually a composite of 2 images: one taken on a ferry (very correct, Miguel) and another taken at the sculpture garden where you can see the needle through a translucent multicolored wall. I replaced the window on the ferry with the image from the sculpture garden (I did an overlay blending so the reflection of the person was preserved). If you observe the picture carefully, you'll notice the dof of the right 1/2 of the image is different from the left 1/2. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Ah, I was wondering why the needle was so sharp while the rest of the BG was not.
    thapamd wrote:
    Thank you, everyone! People photography is not my thing...I'm a landscape photographer at heart :D I'm happy to see this shot was so well received wings.gif

The purple and blue color is from outside. the shot is actually a composite of 2 images: one taken on a ferry (very correct, Miguel) and another taken at the sculpture garden where you can see the needle through a translucent multicolored wall. I replaced the window on the ferry with the image from the sculpture garden (I did an overlay blending so the reflection of the person was preserved). If you observe the picture carefully, you'll notice the dof of the right 1/2 of the image is different from the left 1/2. :D
    edited August 26, 2009
    Mahesh,
    Thanks for the back story. I was thinking it was the monorail because no ferry would operate elevated (on the street no less!) to get that perspective. But the monorail doesn't pass that building either, so I was mentally in no man's land (excepting your Photoshop screen. . .).

M

thapamd wrote:

• bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009