Options

Cheap Ways to get 430ex Off Camera

CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Accessories
I’ve dodge this type of photography for a long time. I think it’s time to jump on the OCF wagon. I have a 30D and a 430ex. I have some knowledge on how to use the flash. Such as diffuse the light, bounce the light, never straight on, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I can’t wrap my head around what I need in order to go off camera. I’ve been researching and like what I am reading about Radio Poppers. Am I right in saying that I can shoot a high speed sync of 1/8000 and not get the shutter black out? However, I can't see myself spending $500 on RadioPoppers PX transmitter and receiver.

I want to test the waters of OCF without blowing the my wallet to pieces. What are some options?
Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2

Comments

• Options
    bretbret Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    The 430EX has no PC Sync terminal that you would need to use it with Pocketwizards. So that's out.

Normally, you would use the 430EX off camera as a Slave with either another on-camera flash acting as the Master unit or the ST-E2 transmitter mounted on-camera. The downside of doing this is that the Slave must be able to "see" the Master or the ST-E2 by direct line-of-sight in order to pick up the signal. Radio Poppers attempt to address this problem by converting the light signals to radio signals and then transmitting them back to light signals at the Slave unit.
    I've never used them, but it sounds like a neat plan, albeit a more expensive setup than just getting the ST-E2.

Your other option is to use an off-camera shoe cord like the new OC-E3. This works great, but you are limited to the length of the cord which is only about two feet. I believe some DIYers have made longer cables from this, however.

-bret
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    bret wrote:
    Your other option is to use an off-camera shoe cord like the new OC-E3. This works great, but you are limited to the length of the cord which is only about two feet. I believe some DIYers have made longer cables from this, however.

You can buy a longer Canon sync cable from flashzebra.com. A friend bought one and it seems to work fine.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Cason wrote:
    I’ve dodge this type of photography for a long time. I think it’s time to jump on the OCF wagon. I have a 30D and a 430ex. I have some knowledge on how to use the flash. Such as diffuse the light, bounce the light, never straight on, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I can’t wrap my head around what I need in order to go off camera. I’ve been researching and like what I am reading about Radio Poppers. Am I right in saying that I can shoot a high speed sync of 1/8000 and not get the shutter black out? However, I can't see myself spending $500 on RadioPoppers PX transmitter and receiver.

I want to test the waters of OCF without blowing the my wallet to pieces. What are some options?

Go to www.strobist.com

Everything you'll want to know about off camera flash. Start with the Lighting 101 Archive on his site. Pulldown on right side of page.

Enjoy!!!
    Randy
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 26, 2009
    bret wrote:
    Normally, you would use the 430EX off camera as a Slave with either another on-camera flash acting as the Master unit or the ST-E2 transmitter mounted on-camera. The downside of doing this is that the Slave must be able to "see" the Master or the ST-E2 by direct line-of-sight in order to pick up the signal.

No, that's not completely true. In an indoors environment, the signal bounces off of interior surfaces and will usually make it to the slave unit without line of sight. Line of sight is only necessary outdoors where there are no reflective surfaces.

Regards,
    -joel (ST-2 user)
  • Options
    PackingMyBagsPackingMyBags Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    If you dont mind loosing ETTL and running in Manual mode then this works just fine. Its easy on the wallet as well. Only good to 1/200 sync speed though, but very reliable and accurate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CTR-301P-Wireless-Flash-Trigger-Set-2-receivers-CTR-301_W0QQitemZ390082528350QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Flash_Accessories?hash=item5ad2bb045e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Lightroom-135.jpg

Lightroom-32.jpg
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    I've used the 430 off camera with good results - in manual - fired by Elinchrom Skyports. All the Skyports do is trigger the flash. If you go this route (cheaper than Pocket Wizards), you'll need a hot shoe adapter like this one sold at Fllashzebra.com. With the transmitter on the camera, it will trigger the flash whenever you trip the shutter.

As mentioned, you can get an off shoe cord from flashzebra that is 24 feet long. That would let you experiment with ETTL flash if you are talking about a studio setting or anywhere when the flash would be nearby.

NOTE: The Skyports have been really reliable for me when used in a gym to trigger Canon 540EZ flashes. No misfires, even when I shot from the far end of the gym.

Hope this helps.
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    The cheapest way possible is to get a pc-to-hot shoe adapter and a pc cable. It'll work in manual modes.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    I just bought some of these and used them in studio without a problem.

LINK
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    PackingMyBagsPackingMyBags Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    davev wrote:
    I just bought some of these and used them in studio without a problem.

LINK

I almost got these, but ive seen numerous commments about how they are cheap and tend to misfire...a lot.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    It's being suggested that the rumoured 7D is going to have a built-in flash controller (story here)... which I bet will mean a lot of ste2 units hit the 2nd-hand market if that's true! If you can, it might be worth waiting a couple of weeks to see what's announced in case you can snag a bargain and an easy way to start exploring off-camera-flash with your existing unit.

FWIW, I really like my ste2, which I use with both a 420ex (no manual) and my 430. I picked mine up at a great price just after Christmas last year ($165 NEW from amazon).
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    I almost got these, but ive seen numerous commments about how they are cheap and tend to misfire...a lot.
    The only miss fires I've had in 600 shots was when I didn't let the flashes recharge long enough.
    Good luck in your quest.

631523705_qSHgD-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    You can get into it for about $75 (gotta include s/h) if you can live with setting the flash manually and can also live with a shutter speed of 1/250 or slower, (that's the x-synch of the 30D).
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    Holy Moly...there is a bunch of advice. Thanks dudes! I'm off to do some research.

I checked out that Stobist link. I found a guy who is using 2 Vivitar 285HV and those Cactus triggers.

What are your thoughts on that setup?
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Cason wrote:
    Holy Moly...there is a bunch of advice. Thanks dudes! I'm off to do some research.

I checked out that Stobist link. I found a guy who is using 2 Vivitar 285HV and those Cactus triggers.

What are your thoughts on that setup?
    Fantastic - the 285HV is a classic solution for a strobist kit. Powerful, cheap, reliable - I don't think there's a down side. The triggers are claimed (I don't have any) to be reliable within their design parameters.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    Ok...here is what I might do.
    • Pick up Cactus V4 Set (Transmitter & Receiver) for $39.95
    • Pick up an extra Cactus V4 Receiver for $23.95 this is for my 430ex. I may get another Vivitar once I compare it to the 430ex.
    • Pick up the Vivitar 285HV for $89.95
    • A couple of stands for $52.95 a piece. A may go smaller.
    • A couple of umbrella adapters for $14.99 a piece.
    • A couple of umbrellas for $24.95. Should I get a softbox?
    If I double up on everything it is going to cost me around $430 plus S/H.

Who wants to slap their Newbie OCF Seal of Approval on this setup?
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Cason wrote:
    Ok...here is what I might do.
    • Pick up Cactus V4 Set (Transmitter & Receiver) for $39.95
    • Pick up an extra Cactus V4 Receiver for $23.95 this is for my 430ex. I may get another Vivitar once I compare it to the 430ex.
    • Pick up the Vivitar 285HV for $89.95
    • A couple of stands for $52.95 a piece. A may go smaller.
    • A couple of umbrella adapters for $14.99 a piece.
    • A couple of umbrellas for $24.95. Should I get a softbox?
    If I double up on everything it is going to cost me around $430 plus S/H.

Who wants to slap their Newbie OCF Seal of Approval on this setup?

Cason - instead of adding a second flash right away, you may wish to consider starting as a "one light" strobist, but add a reflector into the mix. A nice combo reflector can easily bounce light from your primary strobe (or any light source) back onto the dark side of the subject, and it essentially becomes your second light source. This is an easier (and much cheaper) way of getting started because it keeps things simple, yet effective - with a lesser learning curve. Learn how to use one light really well, before you add the complexity of multiple. It also gives you time to play with your first round of equipment (receivers, umbrella, stand, etc) and ensure you like them before you double up all the equipment to support the addition of the Vivitar. Maybe you do this for a few weeks or months, then double-up. Plus, your light and packable reflector will never become useless. I take one with me on vacation!

This is a perfect way to, as you put it, "test the waters of OCF without blowing the my wallet to pieces."

Visit Zack Arias's site for info on his excellent OneLight workshop DVD.
    http://www.onelightworkshop.com/
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    Great idea! I have that same reflector. I'm always the type that gets too complex with things. I need to keep it simple. Thanks for the reminder!!
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Options:

+ canon off camera ttl coord (nice when you're on the move)
    + Cactus Radio Triggers (cheap)
    + Radio Poppers (allow fast sync speeds, 1/4th the cost of a PW)
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston