Options

navigation issues

thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited September 8, 2009 in SmugMug Support
never noticed this today until i was talking to a friend about my site...i took some photos of her son and she was looking through them - or at least trying...

she is using win xp and ie8...when she visits the gallery she gets "1 of 96 >" as the only form of navigation....clicking ">" does nothing for her...she does not see "Page 1 of xx"....i was curious so i loaded FF 3.5.2 and sure enough i see the same thing...however, if i refresh i get all the goodies, but refreshing does nothing for her...

not sure what is going on...any help is appreciated...i've attached screenshots of what i see using FF...

http://jeremyking.smugmug.com/Portraits/Skyler/9132174_w58F5

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    I'm testing in IE8 and it's working fine. Ask your customer to write our Support Heroes and we'll help them out.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2009
    ok, i'll see if she'll do that...in the meantime, can you help me out? iloveyou.gif

i have two machines, both running vista (one is ultimate and one home premium)...ultimate has ie7 and home has ie8...both ie's work fine for me, but i am having navigation issues using FF on ultimate...unless i refresh...

thoughts?
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    OK, contacted heroes yesterday and i am awaiting a response. in the meantime, i figured i'd post here to see if this sparks anyone's thoughts.

i am now experiencing this on both FF browsers at home, her IE8, FF at work and IE6 at work. so i checked the error console on FF and this is the error i get:

this._swf.preCallback is not a function:
    /include/js/smugmug_gallery-min-f5b4a95c896cb9b3ed002718da660caa.js line 576

going to this line brings up this code:
    YAHOO.extend(SM.flash.Slideshow,SM.flash.FlashAdapter,{play:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'play'});}},pause:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'pause'});}},nextSlide:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'next'});}},prevSlide:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'back'});}},goToPosition:function(position){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'goToIndex',index:position});}},setSpeed:function(speed){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'setSpeed',speed:speed});}},toggleThumbs:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'toggleThumbs'});}},showThumbs:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'showThumbs'});}},hideThumbs:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'hideThumbs'});}},resize:function(size){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'resize',size:size+'URL'});}},clearCache:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'clearCache'});}},height:function(dim){this._swf.height=dim;},width:function(dim){this._swf.width=dim;},swf:function(){return this._swf;},pauseFetch:function(){if(this._canLoadSWF&&this._openedOnce!=true){this._swf.preCallback({cmd:'pauseFetch'});}},resumeFetch:function(){if(this._canLoadSWF&&this._openedOnce!=true){this._swf.preCallback({cmd:'resumeFetch'});}},cleanUp:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'cleanUp'});}},loadSlideSWF:function(){if(this._canLoadSWF){if(!YAHOO.env.ua.webkit||(YAHOO.env.ua.webkit&&YAHOO.env.ua.webkit>=525.18)){this._swf.preCallback({cmd:'beginLoad'});}

thoughts?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Hi Jeremy,

I'm not seeing any issues in FF3.5. Could you clear your browser cache and then see if you still have problems?
    Maybe you have an old or incomplete version of Flash that results in that error.
    Can you go here and re-install Flash?

Do you have any add-ons running in your Firefox?

Does your friend still have the issue after clearing the cache as Tyree suggested in his reply to you? Can you have her try the IE8 compatibility view button and see if that helps?

Let us know.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    Hi Jeremy,

I'm not seeing any issues in FF3.5. Could you clear your browser cache and then see if you still have problems?
    Maybe you have an old or incomplete version of Flash that results in that error.
    Can you go here and re-install Flash?

Do you have any add-ons running in your Firefox?

Does your friend still have the issue after clearing the cache as Tyree suggested in his reply to you? Can you have her try the IE8 compatibility view button and see if that helps?

Let us know.

Sebastian
    she cleared the cache on her machine (IE8) and i did the same on mine (FF 3.5.2), with no changes.

add-ons with FF - yep, lots. :) i'll try running FF in safemode to see what that does, but the funny thing is, this is the same browser/machine i used when creating the site and it worked before.

i'll have to look up the IE8 compatibility button - i don't use IE so i'm not sure how to tell her to run that, but i'll find out what it is and have her try it.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    ran FF in safe mode and it seemed to work fine...so i'm gonna go through my extensions to see if one is the culprit...

but that doesn't explain IE8 - could it be a compatibility issue because IE8 is so new, or could there be an option that she needs to set to get the nav working?
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    i had her go to Tools>Compatibility View Settings and put a check in View All Pages in Compatibility View...same result...she only gets picture "1 0f 96 >" and no "Page 1 of xx"...

are there any settings for IE that need to be set properly - say javascript settings or something?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    i had her go to Tools>Compatibility View Settings and put a check in View All Pages in Compatibility View...same result...she only gets picture "1 0f 96 >" and no "Page 1 of xx"...

are there any settings for IE that need to be set properly - say javascript settings or something?
    Does it only happen on your gallery? How about this one?

Have her make sure that she has her security and privacy level set to medium (not medium-high). She can check on that in Tools > internet options and then in the security and in the privacy tab.

To find out if it's IE8 specific, could you have her check the site with Firefox as well? She can get Firefox here.

Also, does she have any kind of security, firewall, ad-blocking or antivirus software that could be interfering?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2009

Have her make sure that she has her security and privacy level set to medium (not medium-high). She can check on that in Tools > internet options and then in the security and in the privacy tab.

To find out if it's IE8 specific, could you have her check the site with Firefox as well? She can get Firefox here.

Also, does she have any kind of security, firewall, ad-blocking or antivirus software that could be interfering?

Sebastian
    i checked these the first day before i posted just to be cautious, and her security is set to medium, i had her turn off firewall and antivirus, not sure if she has ad-blocking or not - all to no avail....

i'll have her try firefox just to see...

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    i checked these the first day before i posted just to be cautious, and her security is set to medium, i had her turn off firewall and antivirus, not sure if she has ad-blocking or not - all to no avail....

i'll have her try firefox just to see...

Thanks for the suggestions!
    had her try the heroes gallery and she can see the nav just fine...so, it sounds like it has something to do with mine setup...what can i check to see what's going on?
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    she sent me an email saying she does not see the navigation with FF either...i've asked for a screenshot to verify (she's not that tech-savvy)...i've also asked her if she is running an ad-blocker...if so, i'll have her turn that off and check...
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    ok, here are the final results:

using IE8 - she cannot see my nav, but she can see the heroes nav
    using FF - she can see nav for both sites

we've cleared her cache in IE8, all sites are set for compatibility mode (or whatever it is called), turned off firewall, antivirus, ad-blocking - everything....she still cannot get IE8 to work...only FF...

since they are not tech-savvy they'd rather not learn another browser and stick with IE8...plus, if this happens with anyone else who needs to view photos on my site (or anyone else who encounters this problem) we cannot expect everyone to switch browsers...

i hope someone can assist so i know what's going on....

thanks...
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2009
    Well I'm gonna bump especially since I'm at the in-laws showing them the site and the navigation doesn't work!! Seriously, this is frustrating. Can someone please look into this - is it something with my code?

In-laws comp running xp and IE7. Please help, gettin desperate.
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Same issue discussed HERE

and HERE
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    thanks J Allen, this has cause me lots of headaches! i'm testing this out now to see how it goes...
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009

Sebastian

I stumbled onto this thread and for what it's worth, your test gallery caused the same problem for me, running IE8 on XP, and FireFox 3.5.1. That is, there's no "page" in the description. I haven't looked at any other galleries, however... Just thought I'd mention it.