Options

I want to be different.

lisasolonynkolisasolonynko Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited August 31, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to submit 3 pieces to an artisan group that owns retail space. It is run as a co-op and has a great variety of high quality artistic works (paintings, sculpture, etc.). Artists must submit samples to the group and they evaluate whether the quality is up to snuff.

Currently there are 3 photographers in the group. All three of them display and sell similar work (landscape images, double matted, and framed). I would like to be a bit different. I think that it would help me stand out and it would give customers some more variety to choose from.

I am thinking of leaning more toward abstract (color and bw) photography. The question is, how to display them. I would love to go frameless. It is very contemporary and I think it would fit with the larger scale abstract images. I am running into some confusion about how to do this though. Some are saying to drymount on foamcore, others say gator. I don't want to use masonite because it easily warps.

The smallest piece I will have is 11x14, the largest 20x30. I would really appreciate any advice you can give.

Lisa

Comments

• Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    What about breaking it up into a puzzle... like those HUGE paintings that have like 4 separate canvas but it makes 1 big image?

It's all i got right now.. it's monday :/
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    I actually do have that kind of thing in mind.... l think it would be nice on a big space.

The big decision I need to make is how to mount the images. Is one kind of mounting better than another?

Lisa

squiddy wrote:
    What about breaking it up into a puzzle... like those HUGE paintings that have like 4 separate canvas but it makes 1 big image?

It's all i got right now.. it's monday :/
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    photoflot? canvas? bay metal prints?
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    termina3 wrote:
    photoflot? canvas? bay metal prints?

I agree here..........canvas.....canvas wrap......so no frame needed...............or display canvas wrapped and offer a whole custom offering using really nice order forms...........or fliers to send them to your website for custom ordering............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Acrylic
    There are a number of substrates. You have to determine your price points too. There are metals, acrylic, silk, ...a very long list of choices but you have to know your clients and figure out what sells too.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    Thank you for offering your suggestions.

In this situation I will not necessarily be taking orders. I am planning on doing some canvas pieces, but also thought about having some dry mounted images. Dry mounting would be just like they do with fotoflot, but going with them is a bit pricey for me right now. I want to try acrylic eventually, but first I want to test the waters.

What are your opinions on the different material for dry mounting (foam core, gator board, masonite)? I have a print lab in my area that will print and dry mount, but I am not sure what material to go with. I am worried about warping.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 31, 2009
    well, assuming the gallery is interested in something "a bit different"

I saw this exhibit back in May and all of the images were back printed on clear acrylic for a display with more depth and luminescence than I've seen before.

I asked the gallery representative about the process and jotted it down... somewhere... I'll try to find the note.

But I think it would be a great way to stand out in the crowd and I believe particularly appropriate for abstracts.

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 31, 2009
    I found this in a quick search... can't really tell if it's the same but looks like it, although I don't understand their use of the word "funky"