Options

b&w film?

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited September 3, 2009 in Technique
Hi,
I recently came across some photos I took about 10 years ago using a Canon Rebel with black and white film, though I do not recall which kind of film. Having not seen the photos for so many years I was amazed at how well the black and white look turned out, as compared to the B&W digital manipulations I use now ( I use Nik SilverEfex which is great). I still have the camera and would like to try using it from time to time to see what kind of results I get. I am totally lost with the types of film available now and was hoping someone could recommend a decent black and white film, say around ISO 400, that I can use. I'm not looking to break the bank, just want to try something a little different.
Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Hi,
    I recently came across some photos I took about 10 years ago using a Canon Rebel with black and white film, though I do not recall which kind of film. Having not seen the photos for so many years I was amazed at how well the black and white look turned out, as compared to the B&W digital manipulations I use now ( I use Nik SilverEfex which is great). I still have the camera and would like to try using it from time to time to see what kind of results I get. I am totally lost with the types of film available now and was hoping someone could recommend a decent black and white film, say around ISO 400, that I can use. I'm not looking to break the bank, just want to try something a little different.
    Thanks,
    Hi chris

If you're processing your own film then you might want to try Tri-X 400, TMAX 400, and Neopan 400. These films require traditional b&w chemistry.

If you're getting you film processed then you might want to try Kodak BW400CN. This film is processed in color negative chemistry, so it can be processed by any 1 hour photo lab.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Hi chris

If you're processing your own film then you might want to try Tri-X 400, TMAX 400, and Neopan 400. These films require traditional b&w chemistry.

If you're getting you film processed then you might want to try Kodak BW400CN. This film is processed in color negative chemistry, so it can be processed by any 1 hour photo lab.

Thanks so much. I'd have a lab do the processing so I'll give the Kodak BW400CN a try. Do you recommend sending it to any particular professional lab or just taking it to the corner drug store?
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    And also since at least for now this is just a side project and I don't have a scanner for negatives, I would need them to provide a digital copy of the photos when developed. Don't know if this is a standard process among developers, or again if I should chose a professional lab for this. Thanks so much for your input.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited August 31, 2009
    B&W negative film 400 ASA in 35mm will be rather grainy compared to modern digital images. I shot hundreds of feet of Tri-X back in the day, and still have the negatives.

Mine don't hold a candle to modern digital monochrome files.ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Hey, I tried the same thing you did, and even did my own developing here and there. I also shot slide and color print. Some might hate me for saying this, but I cam away from my little experiment thinking that digital blows film away in many ways. I can just do more, even in black and white.

That being said, I did have a lot of fun, and hope you do to. I do recommend the Kodak BW400CN as mentioned below. Its standard C41 and you can have your pictures to you in 1 hour, as opposed to 1 second.mwink.gif I used to go to walmart, love it or hate it, and have them scan it. The scans are acceptable for internet showing I think, but if you are hoping to make a huge poster, you can print from the negative (probably best) or you can have the slides rescanned by the pros. For me, with my limited interest in printing photos, walmart was perfectly acceptable, and I could do some editing in PS and light room, and show them to people in emails and the net.

Now, I don't know if you've heard, but walmart aint in the film developing business. They are in the digital printing business and for those other stores that still do films, business is booming. So try walgreens, or even your grocery store. King Soopers develops prints and will scan to CD. They tell me they got swamped with film after walmart quit, so it might take a bit over 1 hour. Oh, you can always use send off with walmart and other places.

Now for those special films like tri-x and other traditional BW films, you might have to call around, but I bet you can find a local lab. You could try Wolf/Ritz, but for me, I found a shop a step up from Wolf that does BW film. No word on their CD scanning, but again, probably not going to match the quality of an image taken straight from digital camera.

In China, I did my own developing, but took the negatives (uncut, if you cut them yourself, you will be charged more) to a photo lab and they scanned them. So-so quality, but I know that the grocery store will do this too, so if you do want to develop yourself, you can pursue this route.

Hope you have fun!
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    When I used to get film developed at a store, it seemed they scanned the 4x6 print, not the negatives. The quality was not good. For a while, Kodak Gallery was developing film and scanned the negatives, but I don't think they mailed the real negatives back. Anyway, they don't do it any more. I really wish smugmug would consider adding that kind of service.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    When I used to get film developed at a store, it seemed they scanned the 4x6 print, not the negatives. The quality was not good. For a while, Kodak Gallery was developing film and scanned the negatives, but I don't think they mailed the real negatives back. Anyway, they don't do it any more. I really wish smugmug would consider adding that kind of service.

Caroline

I will say, the quality is not super. But since I don't order prints, I know that they use the negatives for the scans, and not prints.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2009
    Scanning the 4x6 instead of the negative would be a crime. I'll have to ask. I do realize that digital probably blows away B&W film, especially using 35mm. I was just impressed with the 'out of the camera' results with my old photos, and the film did a good job at preserving the contrast and tonality. I just thought I'd try a few shots to have fun since I still have the camera, and maybe one day will learn a little more about film and self processing. I ordered the 400CN from Adorama, only $4 a roll.
    Thanks so much for your advice.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    I want to tell you that either King Soopers made a mistake, or they have the best deal going on, but I took in 4 rolls of film, got some excellent scans on a CD, (NO PRINTS) and only had to pay $2.

I'm pretty sure they are not really sure what to do with my NO PRINTS request, and as there is no price set for developing, the manager didn't charge me for that. And unlike walmart, KS puts as many photos on a CD as will fit. Walmart charged me like 3 bucks a roll I think?ne_nau.gif But they put 1 roll per CD. Rather wastefull, and costly for me.

Anyway, if you are just using C-41 processed film, try King Soopers if you have one nearby. I was really impressed with the scan quality. Of course, using good focusing camera, and great lenses really helped too.:D
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    I want to tell you that either King Soopers made a mistake, or they have the best deal going on, but I took in 4 rolls of film, got some excellent scans on a CD, (NO PRINTS) and only had to pay $2.

I'm pretty sure they are not really sure what to do with my NO PRINTS request, and as there is no price set for developing, the manager didn't charge me for that. And unlike walmart, KS puts as many photos on a CD as will fit. Walmart charged me like 3 bucks a roll I think?ne_nau.gif But they put 1 roll per CD. Rather wastefull, and costly for me.

Anyway, if you are just using C-41 processed film, try King Soopers if you have one nearby. I was really impressed with the scan quality. Of course, using good focusing camera, and great lenses really helped too.:D

Thanks for the tips, never heard of King Soopers, and unfortunately there are none in Florida. Sounds like you got a great deal, though! My camera is a Canon Rebel G circa 1997, I know its not the best camera but it was the first one I got. I'm going to try and mount some of my L glass and see what kind of results I get. Just a side project really, more to feed my curiosity about shooting film than anything else. Thanks again for all the input.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Thanks for the tips, never heard of King Soopers, and unfortunately there are none in Florida. Sounds like you got a great deal, though! My camera is a Canon Rebel G circa 1997, I know its not the best camera but it was the first one I got. I'm going to try and mount some of my L glass and see what kind of results I get. Just a side project really, more to feed my curiosity about shooting film than anything else. Thanks again for all the input.

Yo man, that's one great thing about film cameras. I can pick up a 20+ year old film camera, and it can take superb, sharp, clear shots (but being manually focused, it takes time. And its just a fun camera to use. (Nikon FM2.) Of course, my other film camera, which is equally a blast to use is my N80. So there is what, 15,20, 25 years apart? I don't know. But the pictures from one are just as good as another.

Lets see you pick up a Nikon D3 and compare it to whatever Nikon's first digital camera was,

Or pick up the latest and greates canon Digital with one from say, 8 years ago.

One benefit of film!
  • Options
    gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Examples
    I am totally lost with the types of film available now and was hoping someone could recommend a decent black and white film, say around ISO 400, that I can use. I'm not looking to break the bank, just want to try something a little different.

I take a lot of B&W film, for me no comparison with digital conversions. B&W film is different medium. Though the real potential isn't there without dark-room printing.
    you can search under "gvf" if you want to find some of mine: Tri-X is good, the CN stuff is interesting (though it is not really true B&W film, it has no grain; but can be developed with color processing.) Still for some things it has nice effect.

There's a great film - hard to get now - 3200 ASA Kodak. High speed film you can use in low light with a great visible grain structure - more so with crops.

Think this was 400 Tri-X (chance it could have been 3200 but I don't think so)
    622637365_wCnji-L.jpg

3200 - Crop
    95220275_DhQte-L.jpg

3200 (total area)
    (Ground Zero)
    95220793_GyPRM-L-1.jpg

Believe this was 400CN
    30402216_uB68K-L-2.jpg