Options

Can I please borrow your "Sensor Scope"?

Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited November 24, 2009 in Accessories
I don't know where else to post this. Moderators, please feel free to move it.

I have been trying to clean a stubborn dust bunny off my sensor. I used Sensor Swabs, but it is still showing up in shots taken after the cleaning. I do have a "workshop magnifying glass" (one of those BIG magnifying glasses with the fluorescent bulb you get at Lowe's for working on projects, etc..) and I have used that to examine the sensor and I really don't see anything. It must be on the sensor or maybe some other element (mirror??) that is causing this issue.

My local shop wants $75 to clean the camera. If someone happens to have a scope I could borrow, it would be appreciated.

Thank you :)
Neal

Comments

• Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    If it was on the mirror it wouldn't show in the photos. Have you checked the lens(both front and rear elements)/filter? It could be something as simple as a water spot up front.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    If you have dust-bunnies (DB) showing up in the photo images, that DB is not going to anywhere except on either the sensor filter or on the read-most element of your lens. Nothing you see through the viewfinder will find it's way into the image.

I would think a couple of passes with a Copper Hill cleaning kit should be sufficient to clean just about anything from the sensor filter. At least, I've not had any problems getting rid of grease, dust, dirt, etc. The very first time I cleaned my first 20D, it required about 10 attempts to get it clean, but that was when I was first learning how to do the job. Now, I can take care of the worst looking crop of DBs in a couple or three attempts.

Are you sure you have DBs on your sensor and not something else? An image might help us help you.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Okay, I know it's not the mirror. I have no idea why I said that. I'm blaming it on working 2nd shift and no sleep. :)

Here is an image (yes, I know the exposure is off... It was intended for HDR):

2009-Front-NHJ_2009-NHJ_0401.jpg
    ScreenShot.jpg

The object in the upper left is probably a bird, because it isn't there in any other shot. The "dust bunny" is on the right. Look at the bell tower and then go to the right and you'll see it.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Okay, I know it's not the mirror. I have no idea why I said that. I'm blaming it on working 2nd shift and no sleep. :)

Here is an image (yes, I know the exposure is off... It was intended for HDR):

2009-Front-NHJ_2009-NHJ_0401.jpg
    ScreenShot.jpg

The object in the upper left is probably a bird, because it isn't there in any other shot. The "dust bunny" is on the right. Look at the bell tower and then go to the right and you'll see it.
    I'll look at it when I get home this afternoon. My work location has photobucket URLs blocked.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Well if we didn't live about a 10 hour drive away from each other you'd be more than welcome to use what I've got.

It's not the Sensor Scope but it does the job for less than half the price.

$35 at Amazon, and it includes the pen also.

Best of luck sorting it out.
    Christian.

• Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Not to kick you while your down or anything but it looks as if you may have another one on the right, just above where the pavement meets the grass.
    Christian.

• Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    For $35 I may pick one up.

And yes (now that you pointed it out) I do see the other one.

So, do I spend $35 on a scope and clean myself or $75 to let the local pro shop do the cleaning?? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Spend the $35, it's an easy enough job to do. I did all four of my bodies within twenty five minutes and it was the first time I ever used anything other than a rocket blower.

That and you won't have to repeat the in store cleaning down the road. Heck, three in store cleanings means another flash.
    Christian.

• Options
    edited September 3, 2009
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I suggest you try the Copper Hill method cleaning kit.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    I suggest you try the Copper Hill method cleaning kit.

Cuong

And I suggest you don't.... Copperhill tells you to use a PEC-PAD. The manufacturer of PEC-PAD will tell you NOT to use a PEC-PAD to clean the sensor.

From the website of Photographic Solutions (manufacturer of PEC-PAD):

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PEC*PAD is NOT recommended for cleaning the CCD. It is not the same material used in the Sensor Swabs. PSI does not approve or warranty the CCD or any camera part from any damage caused by using non approved products. [/FONT]

Here is what I use (also recommended by my local shop).
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    As I've heard said, "Opinions vary" ...

With reference to the quote from the PSI site .... may I gently suggest that there may be ulterior motive for that statement?

Consider that the PEC Pad is soft, scrupulously clean, lint free (or nearly so), non-abrasive, and moderately absorbant. Further concider that one is not cleaning a CCD or CMOS chip (I wouldn't use a PEC*PAD for that purpose either deal.gif), rather it is a glass filter mounted in front of that chip that is being touched/cleaned. This, mounted on a soft implement and a drop or two of Eclipse (of the right sort for your sensor), and you're in business. A careful rolling motion of the padded cleaning tool will keep debris picked up by the pad from coming into further contact with the sensor filter.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Okay, I think I just found it. It looks like it was on the rear element of the lens. I do not have time today to do a test shoot, but I'll test it tomorrow.

I'll also have a new (refurb) Tamron 17-50 to test tomorrow if UPS brings it today! :D

I now have the cleanest sensor in Virginia and I guess I'm the owner of a SensorKlear too. :)
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    ... With reference to the quote from the PSI site .... may I gently suggest that there may be ulterior motive for that statement?...
    Good catch, Scott. PSI seems to play up people's fear to market the product. Many people have used PecPads for years without any adverse effect.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Yes, I am aware that you are not actually touching the sensor when you do a cleaning. But when the manufacturer of a product tells you NOT to use their product for a specific task, then I'm going to listen. YMMV :D
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    But when the manufacturer of a product tells you NOT to use their product for a specific task, then I'm going to listen. YMMV :D

They HAVE to tell you that ... for insurance and liability purposes. I've used PecPads for years on a plethora of digital sensors, lenses, and other optical and electronic devices — and will continue to do so with no adverse effect.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    How to find the dust bunnies!
    Neal,

Rather than guessing about where you have dust bunnies, there's a way to find them all:
    • Zoom to about 80mm
    • Set to Av
    • Set aperture to the smallest you have
    • Set camera to shoot JPG - no need for RAW for this exercise
    • Set ISO to 100 (ish)
    • Open a white screen on your computer monitor
    • Turn off AF
    • Focus to infinity
    • Hold lens close to monitor
    • Take a shot - it'll be a long exposure, but blur don't matter for this as there is no detail in the shot
    • Load the shot into CS and execute an Auto-Levels on it
    • There's all your dust bunnies!
    Shooting a blank sky (or blank wall or anything else of a consistent and light color) works as well, but the monitor is there during the evaluation of the shot so why not use it.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Honestly, those spots are nothing! Clone them out.

If you must clean...remember to clean the chamber around the sensor thouroughly before cleaning the sensor itself.

Spots are going to be there from time to time...so...don't obsess over them.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Honestly, those spots are nothing! Clone them out.

If you must clean...remember to clean the chamber around the sensor thouroughly before cleaning the sensor itself.

Spots are going to be there from time to time...so...don't obsess over them.

How about these spots?

I'm going to take the camera to a local authorized Nikon Repair Center. I've tried Sensor Swabs and I've tried using a Giottos Rocket. Next stop... Nikon Repair Center.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    How about these spots?

Yuck!
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    How about these spots?

I'm going to take the camera to a local authorized Nikon Repair Center. I've tried Sensor Swabs and I've tried using a Giottos Rocket. Next stop... Nikon Repair Center.
    Seriously, that's just a couple of minutes with the Copper Hill cleaning method. There's nothing there that should be a terrible amount of trouble to get rid of.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    From what I've heard, cleaning by a service center doesn't always mean the camera will come back with a spotless sensor screen. I'd rather take the time cleaning it myself than dealing with the cost of time and expenses having someone else doing it without the guarantee of a better result.

Cuong
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    From what I've heard, cleaning by a service center doesn't always mean the camera will come back with a spotless sensor screen. I'd rather take the time cleaning it myself than dealing with the cost of time and expenses having someone else doing it without the guarantee of a better result.

Cuong
    nod.gif15524779-Ti.gif - I know I will do it right but I have seen others who get their camera back from a service center and it's a crap shoot as to whether it was better going in or coming out.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    nod.gif15524779-Ti.gif - I know I will do it right but I have seen others who get their camera back from a service center and it's a crap shoot as to whether it was better going in or coming out.

I cut an old credit card to the proper width of the sensor put an e wipe over it added another drop of eclipse...ran it across the sensor...flipped it over and went back the other way and presto...a clean sensor.

Don't obsess...it ain't hard or DANGEROUS. For people with common sense, that is.

The best way to KEEP your sensor clean is not to expose it unnecessarily.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Just another voice for Copper Hill. I had much larger dust bunnies than you've got and I'm probably far less skilled and more clumsy than you are. Still, in 10 minutes I was done (and that was after obsessing over the video a few times to make sure I'd do it right!). It was easy as pie.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    The CopperHill method is no different than the SensorSwab (other than PEC-PAD vs. SensorSwab), which I already did (twice) and it still isn't coming clean. I took the body to an authorized Nikon repair center yesterday and we'll see what it looks like when I get it back. :)
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    The CopperHill method is no different than the SensorSwab (other than PEC-PAD vs. SensorSwab), which I already did (twice) and it still isn't coming clean. I took the body to an authorized Nikon repair center yesterday and we'll see what it looks like when I get it back. :)
    So what happened?

Cuong
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    So what happened?

Cuong

I took it to an authorized Nikon repair center and had it professionally cleaned. It works fine. :)