Options

first time posting with IR

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited September 3, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Ok I do not have an IR camera or lens filter. I have been interested in this technique for quite some time but figured I would never get a chance to get the proper equipment needed to get the results.

Then today I was playing around with different filters in PSP X2 and ran across an Infared filter that I had overlooked in the past. I began playing with this image of Eklutna Lake, Alaska that I took during a shoot a couple weeks ago....
637199882_CaAiN-L-1.jpg

I had copied and pasted a new layer of the original image and faded it some as I felt that the IR filter took some of the interesting points of the picture out...such as the sky was too dark. I faded that layer over the IR image and erased the mountains to not include the color and got this...
637201500_DZeMR-L-1.jpg

I found this facinating but wanted to take it a step further...I found another filter that I hadn't touched in years called Visman>Arora Dectector. Applied to the above picture this is the results....

637200743_Jp6no-L-1.jpg

CC is appreciated. Do you feel that I have synthisized the IR action enough? Do the colors work well with this image? Thank you for looking!

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Very cool, indeed.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Very cool, indeed.thumb.gif

Cuong
    Thanks Cuong. Do you know anything about IR? I have done little searching and get the impression it can be b/w or some color...mostly reds. I am wondering if a Nikon D300 can be adjusted in a sub menu to mimic the color spectrum settings of a IR filter.headscratch.gif

Anyone know a good place to read up on this?
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Thanks Cuong. Do you know anything about IR? I have done little searching and get the impression it can be b/w or some color...mostly reds. I am wondering if a Nikon D300 can be adjusted in a sub menu to mimic the color spectrum settings of a IR filter.headscratch.gif

Anyone know a good place to read up on this?
    Joyce, IR images can be done with an IR filter, a modified for IR camera, or post processing manipulation with software. The pure IR images are more like b&w, and the pseudo or false-color IR images have colors. I don't know how to adjust the D300 to mimic IR. I use a modified Canon 30D. You can find out more about IR conversion at Maxmax or Lifepixel. Here a good article on IR from the Luminous Landscape.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Joyce, IR images can be done with an IR filter, a modified for IR camera, or post processing manipulation with software. The pure IR images are more like b&w, and the pseudo or false-color IR images have colors. I don't know how to adjust the D300 to mimic IR. I use a modified Canon 30D. You can find out more about IR conversion at Maxmax or Lifepixel. Here a good article on IR from the Luminous Landscape.

Cuong

Thanks for the info Cuong, and the links!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Here is an article that I learned a lot from when I first began to experiment. I bought a used 20D off eBay for a couple hundred dollars and got it modified by Lifepixel.

http://www.irleague.com/gallery/5351357_i3weC
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Excellent suggestion.

Cuong
  • Options
    Andy153Andy153 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 3, 2009
    IR shooting
    Hi there, quite new to this forum so still finding my way about - I use a Nikon D100 that was converted to Infrared by Advanced Camera Services in the UK. http://www.advancedcameraservices.co.uk/

Faux - false infrared in Photoshop is easily achieved by various free Photoshop Actions on the web. But I find they do not truly reproduce a true Infrared shot. My internal filter was replaced by a 720 nm filter and the focus adjusted as well. Certain cameras are not suitable for conversion.

If I use auto WB then the in camera shots have a strong magenta cast. I normally use a custom WB - point at green grass in bright sunlight and set WB accordingly. Very occasionally I set for Blue Sky - point at very blue sky and set. The resultant in camera shots are quite different, more like B&W with some colour thrown in, blues and browns. In the old days, (I've only been taking pictures for 55 years) I developed quite a good eye for B&W - with Infrared forget it, you are depending upon the absorption or reflection of Infrared rays for the result and these can vary by the minute so each picture is a voyage of discovery. To help you along there are again many Photoshop Actions on the Web - why re invent the wheel? Some are automatic, some take you through each stage and give you manual control of the process as you go along. One of the best I've found is by Alexandra Morrison, Canadian Photographic Artist 2009 at her web site nature-photography-central
    http://www.nature-photography-central.com/about-nature-photography-central.html

JAG, your picture 2 could possibly be mistaken for an Infrared shot, but does not quite make it. I like the effect in three, but it is definitely not IR.

Hope all this helps.
    Andy Miller

This is an Infrared Panorama shot, taken with a converted Nikon D100 and a 17-35 mm f2.8 Nikkor. ISO 200; f5; 1/3000; Focal length 25 mm. Custom White Balance - grass.
    It is made up of three frames which were merged using AutoPano Pro. The cropped image was then subjected to Alex's Landscape Actions in Photoshop CS4. ( See her section on Photoshop Actions )
  • Options
    chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    One of the best I've found is by Alexandra Morrison, Canadian Photographic Artist 2009 at her web site nature-photography-central
    http://www.nature-photography-central.com/about-nature-photography-central.html
    )

That's a nice action, thanks for the tip!