Options

Portrait packages

MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
edited September 3, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Can you tell me what works for you? I'm doing custom portraiture on location. I've set my a la carte prices, but am planning to offer some packages a) because people expect them, and b) as incentive to order more prints.

Anyone willing to share what combinations sell for you?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    in the past all I have ever offered in packages was MEMORY MATES.....either 4x5 & 5x7 or 5x7 & 8x10.......

For portraits I just told my clients that I am not Kmart or sears and therefore do not offer packages pe se.......however I will give discounts on enlargements so it is a built it yourself and get what you really need and want package.........the only sizes I did NOT include were billfolds, 4x5 (proofs) and 5x7.....8x10 and up were all fair game for the build it yourself packages and it seemed to work because all of my clients complained about being forced to buy sizes and quanities they did not want nor need....................of course they complained to me about not offering packages at first............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    in the past all I have ever offered in packages was MEMORY MATES.....either 4x5 & 5x7 or 5x7 & 8x10.......

For portraits I just told my clients that I am not Kmart or sears and therefore do not offer packages pe se.......however I will give discounts on enlargements so it is a built it yourself and get what you really need and want package.........the only sizes I did NOT include were billfolds, 4x5 (proofs) and 5x7.....8x10 and up were all fair game for the build it yourself packages and it seemed to work because all of my clients complained about being forced to buy sizes and quanities they did not want nor need....................of course they complained to me about not offering packages at first............

I can get behind that idea. So you offer discounts if they order over a certain dollar amount, or a certain number of enlargements?
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Thanks, Ben!

What do you all think of the idea of a tiered discount, to avoid forcing them to purchase unwanted prints, as Art pointed out?

5% off orders of $500 or more...
    10% off orders of $1000 or more...?
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Mox wrote:
    Thanks, Ben!

What do you all think of the idea of a tiered discount, to avoid forcing them to purchase unwanted prints, as Art pointed out?

5% off orders of $500 or more...
    10% off orders of $1000 or more...?
    I like that idea. When Amy and I got our engagement pictures done that is what our (brilliant) photographer did. If we had to choose from a package we would have been lost, and would not have received what we really wanted.

I think packages are good for bringing the photographer in some set amount of money from a session, and I totally understand that. But I think if you have a reasonable sitting fee to cover some costs, and then a tiered discount structure, you will still bring in a decent total from each client.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    I like that idea. When Amy and I got our engagement pictures done that is what our (brilliant) photographer did. If we had to choose from a package we would have been lost, and would not have received what we really wanted.

I think packages are good for bringing the photographer in some set amount of money from a session, and I totally understand that. But I think if you have a reasonable sitting fee to cover some costs, and then a tiered discount structure, you will still bring in a decent total from each client.

Thanks for your input. The more I think about this, the more I like it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Mox wrote:
    I can get behind that idea. So you offer discounts if they order over a certain dollar amount, or a certain number of enlargements?

Yes and that depends on your profit margin......so it is very different with each photog in different parts of the world.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website