Options

PS CS4 and Kubota effects on wedding work and workflow

lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited September 6, 2009 in Weddings
Hello all :)
I have a new computer on the way and am waiting to install photoshop on it (I already have LR) and once CS4 is on there, the Kubota starter kit. I was also thinking of getting noise ninja (though ps, lr, and kubota all have stuff to remove noise) b/c I have some heavy noise issues b/c i accidently left my ISO up for outdoor shots, plus couldn't use flash during an indoor ceremony.

I am wondering two things-- 1 how important is it to get all this stuff-- ie. coudl I do without ninja or is it best to have all of these. Developing is probably my weakest suit at this point so having actions shoudl hlp me out tremendously especially since I'm short on time. Again the noise reduction is a huge priority due to my ISO error.

Regaurding workflow, am I correct in understanding i do everything RAW in LR first, convert to 95%ish jpegs then run the actions?

--Lisa
Lisa
My Website

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Hi Lisa,
    I used to do all my wedding processing in Elements 4. I have switched all of it over to Lightroom(98%). All I do in Elements is a bit of cloning once in a while.
    I used to use Noise Ninja, it is probably as good as any better than most, I never ever use noise reduction anymore, makes peoples features to muddy. If I take a picture that is to grainy I nuke it.
    In your situation Noise Ninja might help you if there a bunch of shots and you have to make them work.
    Instead of putting money into Photoshop and Photoshop actions, my advice would be to take good hard look at moving to Lightroom and presets.
    As to the ISO issues. As soon as you can, upgrade to a camera with the highest ISO capabilities you can afford, in the meantime work on getting your exposures brightened up and pick up an inexpensive 50mm 1.8 lens that you can throw on the next time you have a low light emergency.
    If you are watching your histograms and blinkies there shouldn't be more than one or two pictures that would be poor exposures in a row. If your exposures are nice and bright then noise is WAY less of an issue than if you take them dark and have to brighten them in processing.
    It is way better to shoot at higher ISO if necessary to get the exposure right than it is to shoot at lower ISO and then have to increase the brightness when editing.

Always check all the settings on your camera before heading to do a shoot.

For workflow I do everything in Lightroom and then convert to 90% jpeg.

Before I did everything in Lightroom I did it as you described, do base Raw adjustments in Lightroom and then convert to Jpeg and do actions in Elements.

Hope this book helps...

Hello all :)
    I have a new computer on the way and am waiting to install photoshop on it (I already have LR) and once CS4 is on there, the Kubota starter kit. I was also thinking of getting noise ninja (though ps, lr, and kubota all have stuff to remove noise) b/c I have some heavy noise issues b/c i accidently left my ISO up for outdoor shots, plus couldn't use flash during an indoor ceremony.

I am wondering two things-- 1 how important is it to get all this stuff-- ie. coudl I do without ninja or is it best to have all of these. Developing is probably my weakest suit at this point so having actions shoudl hlp me out tremendously especially since I'm short on time. Again the noise reduction is a huge priority due to my ISO error.

Regaurding workflow, am I correct in understanding i do everything RAW in LR first, convert to 95%ish jpegs then run the actions?

--Lisa
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    I've got a copy of Noise Ninja and have used it in the past. I don't use it so much any more. If noise is moderate, I just use the tools in LR2. If the noise is too much, I re-evaluate the photo for potential as a B&W. If it's good for that, I do a conversion and may even up the noise a touch.

With the purchase of my new body I've been forced to either buy CS4 or use LR2 for my processing. The camera pretty much blew out my budget so I've been "forced" to learn LR and I find that I can do just about everything I need with it. But I don't have a toolbox of PS actions either :D, though I've found that LR presets do a wonderful job of making things more delicious.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    I find that ever since switching from CS2 to Lightroom it really can do 98% of what you need it to. It's a very fantastic program for us photographers and I rely on it for my post processing. Plus Lightroom Presets are totally your friend for getting really awesome processing effects, and you can either develop your own, or do some digging around online and get many great ones for free. (My favorite ones come from Presets Heaven)
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    I find that ever since switching from CS2 to Lightroom it really can do 98% of what you need it to. It's a very fantastic program for us photographers and I rely on it for my post processing. Plus Lightroom Presets are totally your friend for getting really awesome processing effects, and you can either develop your own, or do some digging around online and get many great ones for free. (My favorite ones come from Presets Heaven)
    I'm relatively new to LR and your reference is like gold to me right now. Thanks thumb.gif
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    If your looking for actions in CS4 check out Totally Rad actions, I prefer them to Kubota.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com