Options

Merritt Island 2010 Dates?

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited December 9, 2012 in Wildlife
Harry:

Are you doing it again next year? Have you considered dates?

I am hoping to lock it in to attend.

Z

PS: Just because I care:

545765154_i5nP9-L.jpg
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Just because I care

wings.gifroflclap.giflust
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Harry posted the dates somewhere. IIRC they overlaped the last couple of days of the spacecoast festival in Titusville. eek7.gif

I'll try and find them.

EDIT: MI VII Sun. Jan. 31 - Sun. Feb. 7

SpaceCoast Birding and Wildlife Festival Wed. Jan. 27 - Sun. Jan. 31 + offshore boat ride Mon. Feb.1 (extra $)

Super Bowl in Miami Sun. Feb.7

Shuttle Launch: STS-130 Endeavour to the ISS Feb.4 at 6:20 AM (yeah, sure, don't wait for it)

Atlas V rocket launch "no earlier than Feb. 3"
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2012
    How about 2013? We've missed a few of these, can they be revived?

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2012
    Zanotti wrote: »
    How about 2013? We've missed a few of these, can they be revived?

Z

A little history here. I ran 6 M.I. sessions ending in 2009. At the end we had 50-60 photographers attending. They came from all over the US plus British Columbia and London. The average time to put one together was 6 months.

The main reason I cancelled the shoot was the Viera Wetlands. The Viera Wetlands were the main shooting location. Our mentally challenged county commissioners slashed the funds for maintaining the roads in the Wetlands by a third ($20,000). This meant that the roads could not be repaired after a rainfall. If it rains they now close the wetlands to vehicles until they dry off (2-4 days usually). I did not feel comfortable having folks using their vacation time and flying in from the left coast, Canada and London without any assurances that the main shooting location would be available. The irony of it all was that the MI shoot alone brought in over $20,000 into the county.

Anyhow in 2013 I have some out of state shooters coming into town in January, I'm going to be in Kenya in February, I have a camera club from Illinois coming in March, I'm leading 2 workshops in April, and then I'm going to the Galapagos in June. No way that I can put anything together in 2013.

If there's interest we could plan something for 2014 or the last quarter of 2013. The kicker is that I will be stepping down as the moderator of the Wildlife Forum at the end of this month so I can't guarantee that we have Dgrin's backing (I'm pretty sure we would though).

If anyone is interested in shooting on Florida's Space Coast just contact me and I can provide info and even guide you around if my schedule allows.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"