Options

San Francisco Suggestions?

PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
edited September 8, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm going to be spending a few days in San Francisco at the end of this month. I'm arriving via motorcycle and staying around Fisherman's Wharf. I would prefer to park the bike when I get there and get around by walking and using public transporation.

Any suggestions for "must get", unusual or iconic shots or locations would be most appreciated. Since my small Lowe treker fits best on my bike I'll only be taking a few lenses and my 1D, Mk. IIN. I plan to have my 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, and 50 1.8, along with filters, tripod and ballhead. I'll have a 580EXII with me, but don't plan on carrying it with me all of the time.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods to avoid, or avoid at night, and similar local knowledge would be really appreciated too.
Canon 1D Mark IIN
Canon 350D
24-70 2.8L
70-200 2.8L IS
580EX II
1.4x Extender
Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    PixNW wrote:
    I'm going to be spending a few days in San Francisco at the end of this month. I'm arriving via motorcycle and staying around Fisherman's Wharf. I would prefer to park the bike when I get there and get around by walking and using public transporation.

Any suggestions for "must get", unusual or iconic shots or locations would be most appreciated. Since my small Lowe treker fits best on my bike I'll only be taking a few lenses and my 1D, Mk. IIN. I plan to have my 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, and 50 1.8, along with filters, tripod and ballhead. I'll have a 580EXII with me, but don't plan on carrying it with me all of the time.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods to avoid, or avoid at night, and similar local knowledge would be really appreciated too.

Sunrise from Pier 7, top pick!

442132738_cSsUf-XL.jpg

and if you get there before the sun starts coming up, there are great lamps on the pier.

Everything near you will be photo worthy, I think!

Lots of food for thought in the landscapes and journeys fora too

ann
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    I don't live in The City, but I know that some neighborhoods have
    a reputation. The Tenderloin, Western Addition are a couple of
    neighborhoods that pop to mind.

Crime map of SF that I found.

SF has it's share of homeless folks too.

SF is also fairly compact, so you could get around via cable car, or
    buses. Also BART runs around the Bay so you can get to different
    parts of the Bay Area. Nowadays, I rarely drive to SF, always take
    BART and buses.

Despite some problems, SF is an amazing city. The Bay, the bridges,
    it's proximity to nature, history, access to cultural sights and the
    wonderful weather make it an ideal city to photograph.

I'd say the most iconic spot is shooting the Golden Gate Bridge from
    Battery Spencer in the Marin Headlands, on a fogless night during
    the blue hour. It's such a beautiful shot (and one that I've never
    captured).

The other iconic shot is the City skyline from Treasure Island during the
    blue hour.

A few neighborhoods to check out, Chinatown, North Beach and
    The Haight.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    For the post card image, the Marin Headlands is darn near perfect for the bridge and city. Although the weather can spoil it easy.

I also like Marin side of Fort Baker near Sausalito. Get a slightly different view of the bridge and city.

For downtown you are pretty good anywhere during the day. The tourist areas offer some great photo ops.

Baker beach is a great spot.

There is so much to do and see. The only limit here is the weather. The fog rolls in fast and thick.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Thanks everyone, I'll check out the links and probably print everything up to take along. My wife got me a way cool Valentines present and I've been busy trying to get some pics of it but the light isn't cooperating, and now it's snowing.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates
  • Options
    aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    This is a repost of something I wrote on another forum with some tweaks.
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    Some of the places I like best:
    One of my favorite shots is of the city from the Marin Headlands. What many people don't know is that you can stay up here until after sunset, even though the sign at the bottom of the road says otherwise:
    a.gif

golden-gate-panorama-small.jpg

You just have to come earlier. You can stay longer.
    When you park close to the beginning of the Road leading up the hill and hike out towards the bridge you can take this shot:
    a.gif

1615_large.jpg

a.gif
    (sorry for the watermark, that was my old style of protectionist thinking, I am actually going to put my small web images under CC soon)
    Another one of my absolute favorites is Twin peaks:

sf-twin-peaks.jpg
    a.gif
    If you really want to get a sense of the place, check out this 850 Megapixel Shot I stitched of Twin Peaks
    850 Megapixel Panorama of Twin Peaks
    And while we are talking Skylines, the view from Treasure Island is really exceptional:
    a.gif

view-from-treasure-island.jpg

a.gif
    I have two more bonus places for taking skyline shots.
    Alamo Square is famous for the Victorian Houses:
    a.gif

sf-alamo-sq-victorian-houses-skyline.jpg

a.gif
    And another great view is from Coit Tower:
    a.gif

skyline-from-coit-tower.jpg

a.gif
    Coit Tower in itself makes a grea shooting subject.
    A view of the Golden Gate from Baker Beach is always nice:
    a.gif

sf-baker-beach-driftwood.jpg

a.gif
    I just love doing some street shooting at Fishermans Wharf:
    a.gif

sf-fishermans-grotto.jpg

a.gif
    and Chinatown is great too:
    a.gif

sf-street-chinatown-man-ducks.jpg

a.gif
    I advice to start at Fishermans Wharf as Tourists are generally a bit more open to being photographed by strangers.
    The Palace of Fine Arts is nice but the last couple of times I checked there was some construction
    a.gif

sf-palace-of-fine-arts.jpg

a.gif
    The area is nice nonetheless and the marina is always great for yet another angle of the Golden Gate and yachts with the skyline as a backdrop.
    Every tourists loves Lombard street:
    a.gif

lombard-street.jpg

a.gif
    Which is not the street with the most switchbacks (just happens to be the most known).
    And while you are there, get some shots of the Cable Cars with Alcatraz as a Backdrop:
    a.gif

sf-cable-car.jpg

a.gif
    Not many people know about the great shooting at the Legion of Honor:
    a.gif

sf-legion-of-honors-abstract.jpg

a.gif
    But the Japanese Tea Garden in the Golden Gate Park is known to everyone:
    a.gif

img_0037.jpg

a.gif
    There are many more great places for photography in this large park like the Conservatory of Flowers, a Windmill and others.
    You can also go to the Beaches, Cliff House, Sutro Baths and many other great places.
    And if you like you can check out a some even lesser known locations that I am writing about and much more detail about the stuff I just talked about on my new site:
    California Photo Scout
    San Francisco is a great city. I hope you have ample of time when you come here.
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2009
    Two more
    Here are two more views from yesterday.

Not everyone knows about Pier 7 which makes it a great suggestion:

478540603_9wHKm-M.jpg

And the View from Buena Vista Park is nice too:

478539001_WBdRp-M.jpg
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Andre,
    Checked out your blog and website. Nice work with loads of information.
    What a valuable resource.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2009
    Thanks
    Thanks Alvin,

I thrive on positive feedback, especially from photographers like yourself. I am glad you like the information.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    I had always seen shots of Baker Beach, but never any at / after sunset. I set up and engagement shoot and brought the couple down to the beach to get the shot I had in my mind. After we were done with the shoot we realized the cops lock the gate at sunset (which is why I never saw any other pictures like it). So I warn you, make sure you leave before sunset....

jennifer_chris+11.jpg
    jennifer_chris+11.jpg
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    I had always seen shots of Baker Beach, but never any at / after sunset. I set up and engagement shoot and brought the couple down to the beach to get the shot I had in my mind. After we were done with the shoot we realized the cops lock the gate at sunset (which is why I never saw any other pictures like it). So I warn you, make sure you leave before sunset....
    I'm sorry that you got locked in, but there are plenty of sunset shots of Baker Beach --- take a quick peak at flickr- lots of images

The usable hours of the parking lot nearest to the beach is clearly marked by signs and if I remember correctly, the parking lot is in operation from sunrise to sunset and this is similar to many gated areas in the bay area. The park rangers do this to prevent people from sleeping at the beach in their cars, but you'll find people there at all hours (runners, photographers, couples, etc).

However, you can park outside of the gate and walk the extra 1/2 mile or so and get to the same location. When in doubt, read the signs.

I did a sunrise shot in the past and we just parked a bit further away in a non-gated parking lot and walked around the gates. In addition, you can also access the beach from above using the staircase and park there.

edited:
    I forgot to mention...

Welcome to dgrin! wave.gifwave.gif And thank you for sharing your experience and I hope that no one else will become locked in at baker beach.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    I didn't know about baker beach lock down.
    Anyways, here is my sunset shot from there
    Sunset
    471445882_KeqP7-L.jpg

Bridge
    471446197_7pxdh-XL.jpg
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    In all fairness the signs were clearly posted, I just didn't read them.

We stayed on the beach for about 45 minutes after sunset while shooting. Sometime during that, a cop honked at me quite a few times and I assumed (incorrectly) that he didn't want us to shoot their without a permit. I quickly got the last few frames and started to pack up. By the time I got up to the gate it was chained up. Thankfully there was enough room to drive around the gate.

In the end the shot was worth it to me (and my clients).
  • Options
    FioriFotoFioriFoto Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Palace of Fine Arts is a great place when there's no fog
  • Options
    FioriFotoFioriFoto Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Twin Peaks is phenomenal on a clear night too...
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Free Tours
    If you want to take some tours, the San Francisco Pulbic Library has a volunteer group that does two hour tours with themes. We did the Baudy San Francisco and China Town tour last month. Requested donation is $10 per person. They change daily. You can photograph during the tour. San Francisco is one of my favorite places to street shoot. I have a few galleries from my trips there and one I am working on.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    HeatherWBHeatherWB Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    My husband and I went to San Francisco in 2006 and absolutely loved it. We hope to get back there at some point down the road. Here are a few of the pics from that trip...keep in mind that they were shot with a bridge cam--a Fuji s602z. Now that I have better gear to shoot with and really know I'm doing with it, I'm sure the pics from the next trip (whenever that happens) will be even better. :):

Chinatown is definitely worth checking out:
    159sanfrancisco06.jpg

161sanfrancisco06.jpg

Since someone mentioned the Sutro Baths...
    100sanfrancisco06.jpg

103sanfrancisco06.jpg

Last, but not least, the Golden Gate from the Marin side:
    26sanfrancisco06.jpg
    My blog: Heather's Lightbox
    My pics
    "He who cannot dance will say: "The drum is bad!" --African proverb.
  • Options
    PVNPhotographyPVNPhotography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Wow, Lombard street is nice! I really need to go there. Went to SF a few days ago, but it was during the night and I was only there to get Clam Chowder and some Ghiradelli.
    Canon Rebel XSi/450D
  • Options
    chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    logistics question
    Hi, I haven't been to SanFrancisco in years but will have a full day of shooting there in October. I'd like to get the iconic shot of the bridge from Battery Spencer and the way my schedule is looking I would like to get there about an hour before sunrise. (I'm referring to the second shot in agunther's post on the first page of this thread). Is there anything I need to know about accessibility of this area at that time? is it open? if not is there a place to park and walk?

I'm planning to shoot there at sunrise and try for Rodeo Sea Stacks at sunset that night, with a full day of various places around the city. Was going to shoot at Baker Beach the following morning before catching my flight out. I've seen many sunrise shots at Baker Beach so I'm assuming there is a way to get out there before sunrise.

Thanks so much for the input!
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    I'd like to get the iconic shot of the bridge from Battery Spencer and the way my schedule is looking I would like to get there about an hour before sunrise. (I'm referring to the second shot in agunther's post on the first page of this thread). Is there anything I need to know about accessibility of this area at that time? is it open? if not is there a place to park and walk?
    For the Battery Spencer/Hawk Hill/Marine Headllands shot, head over the golden gate and on to Conzelman Rd (first exit after you cross the bridge). There are three turns out which you can part. The image that you liked from that post is from the first turnout and it requires a 1/4 mile walk. I suggest you bring a thick jacket, good heavy tripod, and a small flashlight if you're shooting sunset and afterwards. The wind is what bothers most people (and photos)....

View first turnout during sunset: (sorry, haven't been there for sunrise yet). Also, check the fog report....
    302820100_8c6Yh-M-4.jpg

View 2nd turnout (maybe third; can't remember) during late afternoon
    230235777_t5CUb-M-7.jpg

chrismoore wrote:
    Was going to shoot at Baker Beach the following morning before catching my flight out. I've seen many sunrise shots at Baker Beach so I'm assuming there is a way to get out there before sunrise.
    The main parking lot to baker beach is closed from sunrise to sunset, but you can park outside of the park and walk in (1/4 miles on road, 1/4 on sand) or above the beach and walk down the stairs.

Baker Beach -- sunrise
    252546920_HGp3r-M.jpg

You might also want to check the tide levels for Baker Beach because depending on the tides, it will determine how much of the rocks you can climb.