Options

What do you bring for emergencies?

ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
edited September 10, 2009 in Weddings
I mean, beyond whatever water scenario gear, is there something(s) that you always bring just in case you need it that isn't necessarily gear related?

The reason I ask if because I'm thinking of starting to carry a 3M command adhesive hook to hang the dress from and, potentially, a nice looking hanger. Both would fit in my pack, I believe. Am I nuts? The hook is to hang the aforementioned hanger from and I imagine myself either sticking the hook to a door, door frame, or other appropriate surface (ie not wallpaper or other potentially bad surfaces).
Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User

Comments

• Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Great Idea for the hook, they have some really nice looking ones that have a brushed steel look to them! Yes, don't you love taking apicture of the dress and it's hanging on a 2 cent hanger!
    rolleyes1.gif

I don't like to impose on my clients, I tend to use what they have, it makes it more personable and unique, so I don't carry props! I had an idea last year but never followed through with it, to have a box of things that the bride or groom might need, nail clippers, scissors, advil, tums, etc etc.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    I always carry a second pair of slacks to change into before the ceremony. That way I can do all the crawling on the ground that I need to without the worry of looking shabby and muddy at the ceremony. Plus it is nice to have in an emergency: my brother split his inseam at a wedding he was shooting... he had to tape it up with gaffers tape.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    I always carry a second pair of slacks to change into before the ceremony. That way I can do all the crawling on the ground that I need to without the worry of looking shabby and muddy at the ceremony. Plus it is nice to have in an emergency: my brother split his inseam at a wedding he was shooting... he had to tape it up with gaffers tape.
    I hadn't thought of that, Heather. Good call! I always bring a pair of flip flops or something else that is comfy so my feet can get out of my shoes for my ride home.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Gaffer tape (black), masking tape (black), masking tape (white), wide packing tape (clear), a good multi-tool (knife, pliers, scissors, screwdrivers, etc), tissue, compressed air, safety pins, towel ... and a few other things that my wife (second shooter) brings that are more 'girlie' and might seem weird for me to have.

With regard to the hook - that's a good idea, at least the hanger part. I hate when someone has this multi-thousand dollar dress and it's on one of those 2 cent-with-cardboard hanger things. Though I normally roll with what they have, where they have it. I've actually only moved a dress in any significant way one time (for this wedding) in the past 2 years.

I like the idea of the 3M hook, if I was up for moving it more often.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I carry a sewing kit with white, black thread.....just incase................I have done this for over 25 yrs and have actually used it quite a few times.......You do get a few odd looks when you come out from under the Brides dress even with needle and thread in towmwink.gifwink ........even when I left my cam on tripod no one ever took a lic of my feet (shoes) coming out from under the dress or of me coming out after doing some mending.....mind you I only agree to this when MoH, BM or a mother cannot be found.........I am always afraid I will stick them with the needle.......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Leatherman tool, straight and safety pins, drugs for me (they need to get their own), ear plugs, electrical tape, gaffer's tape. I wouldn't screw around with the command adhesive hook/hanger I've been finding that the dress alone picture has been becoming less and less important to brides lately. The command hook is only rated to like 7lbs for the medium ones, I've seen dresses heavier.
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    i always bring protein bars, water in any of my gigs.. 15 hour wedding gigs can sure make me hungry! :)
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Here is what I do bring:
    Black sharpie, Black trashbag (Fits anywhere), Flashlight, Gum/mints

Here is what I've been meaning to add to my bag:
    Saftey Pins, A little gaffers tape, Drugs
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Water, usually 2-3 small bottles. Dehydrating is the worst. I was very close to passing out on an engagement shoot 2 years ago, it was on a beach on a very, very hot, dry day. That was NO fun.

White trash bag. In case it rains ... the bride can put her dress on it and it will never show.

Tape

Aspirin & band aid, you never know

Mosquito spray. Been bitten too many times before. (I'm a mosquito magnet)

A big, golfer umbrella.

Money (cash). Just in case the car breaks down and I need to get a cab.

Extra pair of shoes. In case it rains.

I didn't ever have to use my sewing kit, so I took it out at some point.

Lots and lots of extra batteries / cards and other camera stuff. You never know. I've been to wedding where there was no place to charge my batteries, and I've had some of my cards play jokes on me. Noooooo fun.

I used to bring a nice hanger with me (for the dress). But after a couple of times of getting a wired look from mom (who probably though I'm stealing it from the hotel), when I was putting it back in my bag, I thought it was not worth the trouble.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Blurmore wrote:
    The command hook is only rated to like 7lbs for the medium ones, I've seen dresses heavier.
    Yup, I get dummy award for the day. Total had forgotten about this. Hmmm...
    Brides around here still like detail shots for the most part.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    White trash bag. In case it rains ... the bride can put her dress on it and it will never show.

Mosquito spray. Been bitten too many times before. (I'm a mosquito magnet)

thumb.gif

I'm not sure what you mean about the white trash bag. Be careful with Mosquito spray, it can ruin your camera if it contains DEET.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Trash bag: You put it on the ground and they step on it to protect the gown. I have switched to matress protectors since they are stronger and larger for longer trains.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Trash bag: You put it on the ground and they step on it to protect the gown. I have switched to matress protectors since they are stronger and larger for longer trains.

Ahh, I see now. Thanks
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    a roll of carpet (to hide the body) and a pick axe...just never know
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    a roll of carpet (to hide the body) and a pick axe...just never know
    I could have used that for a mother of the groom once and I'm sure the bride would have helped me with it. :D