Options

Pinnacles Scouting Report

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited June 19, 2005 in The Big Picture
On Friday I had to have some emergency dental work done. But even that didn’t deter me in completing my Pinnacles scouting mission. Although it will alter the due date for the 20D. :cry

Drive time from San Jose to the ranger station is 1 hour 45 minutes.

Bad news in the eats department. There ain’t nothing close. Pack plenty of water, food, sunscreen, and don’t forget a hat.

There are several hikes, walks available.

Reservoir: 2 miles round trip. Moderately difficult, but interesting hike with rocks to clime over, under and around. Elevation gain 500 feet. I walked this, one way, in about 1 hour 15 minutes, counting stopping for photos and side trips.

High peaks – Condor Gulch loop: 5 miles round trip. Strenuous hike, excellent views; steep and narrow section goes through High Peaks rock formation. 1300 feet elevation gain.

Balconies Caves Trail: 6 miles round trip. Longer but moderate hike. Not sure of elevation gain but was informed by ranger that this is much flatter than the other trails. Take flashlight. Cave is about ¼ mile long.

There are several other short trails that are flat and the Wilderness trail is supposed to be good for birds.

Spotting the Condors would be a stroke of luck, but seeing hawks, turkey vultures, etc should be easy.

Parking is $5.00, and early arrivals can self register with the “iron ranger”. (Box with registration forms)

The following is a collection of photos taken today to provide you with a flavor of what you can expect.

Give me a little time to post them all. I heve to do it one at a time. :D

Sam

Comments

• Options
    edited June 11, 2005
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2005
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2005
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2005
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2005
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2005
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2005
    Dragonfly: Have you ever tried to phtograph one in flight? I couldn't do it!
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2005
    If your not careful this guy will snatch your Cherry Ripes right out of your pocket.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Sam, this is great!
    U da man!

thank you so much for the scouting!

So, what's gonna be our exact plan/schedule?
    'Cause for me it's like 4 hour drive one way, and for Jeff/Kendall it would be about one hour more..

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    U da man!

thank you so much for the scouting!

So, what's gonna be our exact plan/schedule?
    'Cause for me it's like 4 hour drive one way, and for Jeff/Kendall it would be about one hour more..

Cheers!1drink.gif
    Plans.....I don't need no stinking plans!

Well...OK....we can make one. I was going to see what time everyone wanted to show up and what type of hike they were up for, then set a meeting time at the ranger station.

For those heading back to San Jose there is always San Juan Batesta for the Mission, other historic stuff, and most important the ice cream.

Sam
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    great job Sam [no stinkin plans ]thumb.gifrolleyes1.gif just a time to start -I was off on my time i thought you guys did it this friday - very well done and a snake shot to boot clap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 13, 2005
    Good work Sam clap.gif

So is there a convienent spot to meet up? Or is the parking lot the best place? I'm assuming that if we get there early, we can still enter the park, correct? If so, I'd like to be there pretty early. Somewhere around 7-7:30 or so. I'll talk to Andy once he gets in. The lack of food isn't going to go over well ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif :uhoh

But, if we shoot early, we probably won't want to spend midday in the heat. So maybe we can head off to San Juan Batista, or somewhere with food (Phil's?....lol) Although, it is supposed to shower on Friday eek7.gif Darn rain :cry

Stay tuned and thanks again for the scout trip report thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2005
    OK, I guess we gota make a stinking plan. :D

Who is going? Who is leaving from San Jose?

Here is some celestial info for Friday:

The following information is provided for San Jose, Santa Clara County, California (longitude W121.9, latitude N37.3):

Friday 17 June 2005 Pacific Daylight Time SUN Begin civil twilight 5:16 a.m. Sunrise 5:47 a.m. Sun transit 1:09 p.m. Sunset 8:30 p.m. End civil twilight 9:02 p.m. MOON Moonrise 2:51 p.m. on preceding day Moonset 2:22 a.m. Moonrise 3:56 p.m. Moon transit 9:27 p.m. Moonset 2:49 a.m. on following day Phase of the Moon on 17 June: waxing gibbous with 76% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated. So what time do you all want to be there? Let get a list going......

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2005
    Good work Sam clap.gif

So is there a convienent spot to meet up? Or is the parking lot the best place? I'm assuming that if we get there early, we can still enter the park, correct? If so, I'd like to be there pretty early. Somewhere around 7-7:30 or so. I'll talk to Andy once he gets in. The lack of food isn't going to go over well ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif :uhoh

But, if we shoot early, we probably won't want to spend midday in the heat. So maybe we can head off to San Juan Batista, or somewhere with food (Phil's?....lol) Although, it is supposed to shower on Friday eek7.gif Darn rain :cry

Stay tuned and thanks again for the scout trip report thumb.gif

Steve
    Yes we can get in early. All you need to do is fill out a registraion form, and put your $5.00 in the box.

There is a store, and campground right before the park, but the food items (when they are open, which is not on any schedule that I know of) are limited to water, soda, and candy. ne_nau.gif

No rain, just some clouds.......thumb.gif

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2005
    New info! Read (please )
    ehughes wrote:
    Sam, having never been to Pinacles, where is the entrance to the park?

Ed
    Ed,

There are two entrances, east, and west, but please note they do not meet inside the park! There isn't any connecting roads in the park. ( I just thought about this and I am going to post your question and my answer on under news and events so everyone can see it)

The east entrance can be accessed from HWY 25 out of Hollister, and the west entrance can be accessed from 146 off HWY 101 from Soledad.

It's a good long (read I ain't doing it) :D hike from the east entrance to the west entrance.

Sam
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    guys i'm jealous!

i *am* in california this week but swamped with other things going on. unfortunately, this impacts friday, as i have an unavoidable meeting in the morning that i have to attend :cry not to mention the fact that i'm wiped out from a whole buncha travel lately.

i hope you guys have a great time, and again, sorry i cannot attend....
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    OK, I have Fraday off, so I am going some where and photograph something!

I need to know if anyone is planning on going to the Pinnacles. If people are going to show up I'll be there, but I need to know by tomorrow night so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks,

Sam
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    We're not going to be able to make it folks... :(

It's been a long week, she's fine and the patch is already off but after the emergency room and the Dr's appointments, I'm not sure she's up for a big walk. ( even with a patch she stayed all smiles )

25185045-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    We're not going to be able to make it folks... :(

It's been a long week, she's fine and the patch is already off but after the emergency room and the Dr's appointments, I'm not sure she's up for a big walk. ( even with a patch she stayed all smiles )

25185045-S.jpg
    WOW! what happened Ed? By your post it sounds like she is ok, and that's all that counts.

I'll look for you next time.

Sam
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    WOW! what happened Ed? By your post it sounds like she is ok, and that's all that counts.

I'll look for you next time.

Sam
    She was pulling new clothes off of a hanger and the clothing has just enough elasticity to slingshot the hanger right back into her eye. Scratched her cornea. She's completely fine, although I have a few new gray hairs.