Smug Wallet - Iphone App

Comments

• iRobieiRobie Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 30, 2009
    I'm glad I found this thread! This is just a 'me too' post. The app stopped downloading... I finally removed the app from my phone & iTunes to try & reinstall it. Then it was missing from the store, bad timing!

Looking forward to the update! Fantastic app!

Feature request if you're taking them here: the app didn't auto rotate images like the built in photo app does. Any way to add that in?
  • mattwrightmattwright Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    auto-rotate
    iRobie wrote:
    Feature request if you're taking them here: the app didn't auto rotate images like the built in photo app does. Any way to add that in?
    Yes, I always appreciate feature requests! :) I have had this suggested one or two other times, so I may eventually build it in as an option you can turn on and off. I personally do not like the auto-rotate functionality of the native app, as I prefer to see my photos as large as possible and it is much quicker to just turn the phone and see it instantly than wait for the software to catch up. Do you prefer to just view some of the images smaller with black bars, so you aren't constantly rotating the phone, or what do you see as the advantage to auto-rotate?

Matt
  • iRobieiRobie Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 30, 2009
    mattwright wrote:
    Do you prefer to just view some of the images smaller with black bars, so you aren't constantly rotating the phone, or what do you see as the advantage to auto-rotate?

The biggest advantage I see from auto-rotate is that it "works as you'd expect." Right or wrong, Apple has set a precedent with their Photo app, so anytime someone grabs the phone & sees a photo they expect it to auto rotate. I've had a lot of people shake my phone when viewing photos on your app. Yours is my default photo app that I go to so it happens quite often clap.gif

I'd really like the option to turn this on or off, because you are right - you get more real estate when viewing everything full screen. I've turned off auto-rotate on my camera for the same reason. (The Nikon D70 doesn't have the biggest screen to start with... Maybe I'll change this when I get 3" LCD mwink.gif )
  • taoofdrewtaoofdrew Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 3, 2009
    Glad there's an update on the way, thought it went poof or something! I love this app since it requires no post syncing data connection and all my photos on my mac are in .dng format which won't sync to the normal iphone image library. Looking forward to the update! Thanks for keeping your customers informed.
  • jesseasijesseasi Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Any updates as to when we will see the new version on the app store?
  • wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    jesseasi wrote:
    Any updates as to when we will see the new version on the app store?

Waiting too. Looks like the app has completely disappeared from the iTunes store!?
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    May want to check out reply #22 as alternate. Seems to work fairly well.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Gary MayoGary Mayo Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    I use SmugShot. It is free, in the app store. You can upload pics directly to your smugMug account from your iPhone if you want. Very handy.

I will look for the wallet app when it comes back.

The iPhone is a wonderful tool!
  • derfderf Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    agallia wrote:
    May want to check out reply #22 as alternate. Seems to work fairly well.

I do not think I will have much choice.... I will have to purchase this in a day or so as I can not wait any longer. I will not have space for duplicates on my iphone. Is there a way to download the site to the phone or do I have to go in every directory?
    edited September 11, 2009
    Still no word from Apple on the update. You can follow on Twitter at:

http://twitter.com/midmob

Sorry, it's out of my hands at this point. The update was released to Apple over two weeks ago, so I can only hope they approve it soon.

Matt
    Finally approved!
    Just as a followup -- SmugWallet v2.1 was just approved and should appear in the App Store today. Sorry for the bug and the long delay, but I appreciate your patience!

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • anderivanderiv Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    mattwright wrote:
    Just as a followup -- SmugWallet v2.1 was just approved and should appear in the App Store today. Sorry for the bug and the long delay, but I appreciate your patience!

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility

Thanks for the update, Matt!

So the app does indeed seem a bit snappier. I'm still having searching for new photos, though. I start the search, it makes it through "Logging in" and then displays "retrieving album info" very briefly before crashing. It does this 9 out of 10 times I try to search for new photos.

Any ideas?
    Erik Anderson
    http://andersonfam.org
    http://andersonfam.smugmug.com
    D70 | SB-600 | Nifty Fifty | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Nikon 70-300 f/4-5.6G
    anderiv wrote:
    I'm still having searching for new photos, though. I start the search, it makes it through "Logging in" and then displays "retrieving album info" very briefly before crashing.
    Hi,

I just tried this on my development machine and your account seemed to search for photos ok. I obviously don't have access to any password protected galleries, however. Email me at support@midnightmobility.com with your iPhone OS version and let me know a bit more about this -- it doesn't always crash at the same spot?

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    Still buggy:cry

Good news is that the program seems able to download photos and is much 'snappier'. However, I tried a download yesterday and had the same 'bug' where the program states it only has 800 some photos to download and the downloading status window winds up at 3000+. I also left the iphone to download overnight and made no headway in finishing up the initial download of photos. I will say that the iTunes sync times are MUCH improved!

Screen shots:
    646817827_Wr99M-L.png

Paused the download at that point and saw this
    646817828_Zw3Wn-L.png

Restarted download and, 8 hours later, it was stuck at photo 1098
    646817830_CFpyZ-L.png

Restarted the sync this Am so I could watch it (what better things are there to do at 4am when you have insomniane_nau.gif)

Anyway, I reinput my password to make sure that could not be causing issues. On hitting sync, the 'downloading photos' bar starts off relatively slowly for the first 3 then is very rapid. Though it still shows only 868 photos to sync, it quickly goes above 868 photos downloaded. This AM, it crossed the 1098 number at which it had been stuck. It is currently over 1300 and still going. When I pause it the Smugwallet contents have not increased from the current 1910 photos.

Any suggestions?
    E
    eoren1 wrote:
    However, I tried a download yesterday and had the same 'bug' where the program states it only has 800 some photos to download and the downloading status window winds up at 3000+. I also left the iphone to download overnight and made no headway in finishing up the initial download of photos. I will say that the iTunes sync times are MUCH improved!
    Hi,

You may want to try toggling your synced categories off and then on and then click the 'Search for Photos' button again. If that is still not working, please contact me at support@midnightmobility.com and let me know your SmugMug username and whether these images you are attempting to sync are public or not, so I can try to troubleshoot.

I have gotten word from others that this release is working, so if you are having problems, please contact me via email so I can try to troubleshoot individual situations.

Thanks,

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    Seriously...5 minute response time at 4AM??? Talk about good supportclap.gif

I've got it running again and it is over the 9000 mark on 'downloading photos' so I'll just let it run and see what happens. If it is unsuccessful, I'll do the toggle bit.

Like I said earlier, the iTunes sync times and the function of the app in displaying photos are both much improved. Hopefully this is just a bug on my end. Interestingly, the passworded galleries are done syncing. It's some of my public landscape 'Places' shots that are still pending.

I'll post again when it's done.
    Thanks,
    E
    eoren1 wrote:
    I've got it running again and it is over the 9000 mark on 'downloading photos' so I'll just let it run and see what happens. If it is unsuccessful, I'll do the toggle bit.
    Honestly, when this happens (the download count far exceeds the available to sync count), you should terminate the download. It is never going to complete at that point, as it has encountered some sort of internal failure. You should then attempt to toggle the categories/galleries off, on and then 'Search for Photos' again. If that still fails, you should send me your account username via email and let me know the galleries that are not properly syncing. This is universal advice for users of this app at this point.

I have not generally been able to accurately reproduce the error that is causing counts like that to climb way above the 'available to sync' number, aside from the recent major bug that was patched in v2.1.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    Hi Matt,
    Toggling the galleries off then on seems to have done the trick! Working great now. I updated my original review to give the app 5 stars. Nice work.
    E
    edited September 13, 2009
    I got the update as I was going to order Blossom.... I AM SOOOO HAPPY!!!

UP AND RUNNING....HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • PigmyPuncherPigmyPuncher Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Can anyone give me a rough estimate on mins/gb during iTunes sync AFTER the initial sync? I'm trying to figure out if this is a 'delay' I can live with since I frequently update contacts, music etc and wouldn't want to wait an excessive amount of time to 'sync' and run. edit to add I should have mentioned I have an G3 iPhone on current os.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
    Can anyone give me a rough estimate on mins/gb during iTunes sync AFTER the initial sync? I'm trying to figure out if this is a 'delay' I can live with since I frequently update contacts, music etc and wouldn't want to wait an excessive amount of time to 'sync' and run.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

There really is NO delay with the new versionclap.gif
    I was pretty shocked the first time as I was getting used to the very long backups from prior versions.
    I just did a sync for the first time in at least 2 weeks (thanks for reminding me:D) and it took exactly 2 minutes.
    E
  • PigmyPuncherPigmyPuncher Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited to add - how many gigs are you backing up, and is anyone else having the same experience with this version of the app?

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
    edited September 15, 2009
    edited to add - how many gigs are you backing up, and is anyone else having the same experience with this version of the app?

The new version offers you a choice of where you want your files stored. For fast syncs, go to Settings -> Advanced Options. Make sure the storage directory is set to Cache. If that is the case, it shouldn't matter how many gigs of photos you have on the device, as they are stored in a directory that will not be backed up to iTunes.

Matt

2762 photos in 36 galleries taking up 173MB on iPhone
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    I've d/l'd all my bird galleries, 11759 photos in 305 galleries 724mb. It's great for sharing in the field.

Only thing I wish is to zoom in on a photo. Is there another app that would
    enable this on the iphone or could this be built into Smug Wallet?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    Allen wrote:
    Only thing I wish is to zoom in on a photo. Is there another app that would enable this on the iphone or could this be built into Smug Wallet?

Hi Allen,

One way we can pack so many photos into a small space on your iPhone is to really shrink down the size when we download them. Downloading the large photos you could zoom would both take a lot longer and use up a lot more space. That said, there are various routes I could take to allow this.

One would be to let you choose the size photo to sync and decide on the tradeoff for speed/space vs size. Another would be to let you download large versions of specific photos you wish to zoom occasionally. And a third would to let you do zooming when the network is available and live download a larger copy to zoom.

Let me know which you think might be most useful. Thanks,

Matt
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    mattwright wrote:
    Hi Allen,

One way we can pack so many photos into a small space on your iPhone is to really shrink down the size when we download them. Downloading the large photos you could zoom would both take a lot longer and use up a lot more space. That said, there are various routes I could take to allow this.

One would be to let you choose the size photo to sync and decide on the tradeoff for speed/space vs size. Another would be to let you download large versions of specific photos you wish to zoom occasionally. And a third would to let you do zooming when the network is available and live download a larger copy to zoom.

Let me know which you think might be most useful. Thanks,

Matt
    I saved one to camera roll and got enough zoom, ~50%,
    without losing much detail or focus. That's about all I need.
    Sure wish the same zooming capability was applicable that
    the default Photos app has.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    mattwright wrote:
    And a third would to let you do zooming when the network is available and live download a larger copy to zoom.

I would like this option as it would naturally only download the images that lend themselves to zooming, like a group photo with lots of little heads.

With the other two options, you'll download large sizes of too many photos that you might never need to zoom in on.
    Image zooming
    I'll definitely try to work some sort of zoom functionality into a future version...
    edited September 16, 2009
    great ideas, but please do not make the stored image sizes any bigger, this app is awesome.... 1gb of images for 17,000+ images. YOU SIR ARE A GOD in my book!!!! clap.gif :ivar clap.gif

If you could tap to temp load a full image for zoom but would not want larger sized images on the iphone. Truthfully, I am just plain happy right now!!!!