Options

Taking strangers picture

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited September 13, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I have often been in public places where a great photo could have been taken however I missed the opportunity in fear that the stranger would not have liked the idea of their picture being taken. What do you all do in these situations. Many of you have posted "street shots": photos of strangers, people walking, etc. how do you capture these moments w/out being yelled at? (weird question? sorry..)
Courtney

Comments

• Options
    OrlandokamOrlandokam Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 13, 2009
    I 2nd this question. I'd also like know about publishing such photo's. What do you do in case the magazine or newspaper (or other medium) insists on a model release or some kind of form?
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    Model Releases
    If you are taking photographs for non commercial use, you do not need a model release. You need a model release if you are using the image for any commercial purpose - like putting it on your website where you are selling the images. If the image is news/for the press and it is photojournalism, then you do not need a release. If you take a photograph of someone's property from the street, you can do that for personal use. If you use the image for commercial use - you need a property release.

This is as I understand it. Do a search becasue this comes up frequently and I do think there is a sticky thread with more detail.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    Off to search. I knew for personal use it wasn't a problem but what if that photo sells later? Say I put it on Smugmug and Time says they want to purchase it?

I'll have to look for that sticky.
  • Options
    goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    So do you just take the photo and risk the person not wanting their photograph taken?ne_nau.gif
    Courtney
  • Options
    SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    In the past I've just made sure it didn't look like I was focused on someone. So far it's not been an issue for me. I did ask one time if it was OK for me to get them in the shot, I didn't want them I wanted the building behind them, and cropped them out later. They just kept standing there, so I asked.

Here's a link to one sticky I found. I've not gone through it.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=97869