Options

Saving Crop, "Back to Order" confirmation

lokerdlokerd Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited January 9, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello. The new crop dialog box is MUCH improved, thank you!!

But, I have a new, small, hopefully VERY easy fix to ask for.

When you crop a photo, then click "Save Crop" we are having to click on a popup that simply says "Back to Order". But, that is the only action possible anyway. Can't the "Save Crop" button be changed to drop us out of the dialog, or at least simply just save it...then we would click the icon in the upper right corner that say's Back to Order also. But it would be MUCH better if clicking on Save Crop would take us straight back to the order with NO additional click.

Make sense???? Easy fix????

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    This small, easy to fix (I think) challenge is still going uncorrected. Is anybody else having a problem with? Every time I set a custom crop, I am having to hit that stupid little button to go back to the "back to order" button. WHY OH WHY MUST WE CONFIRM GOING BACK TO ORDER when it is the only option anyway?!?!?!?

Smugmug, can you hear me on this? Anybody else???
    lokerd wrote:
    Hello. The new crop dialog box is MUCH improved, thank you!!

But, I have a new, small, hopefully VERY easy fix to ask for.

When you crop a photo, then click "Save Crop" we are having to click on a popup that simply says "Back to Order". But, that is the only action possible anyway. Can't the "Save Crop" button be changed to drop us out of the dialog, or at least simply just save it...then we would click the icon in the upper right corner that say's Back to Order also. But it would be MUCH better if clicking on Save Crop would take us straight back to the order with NO additional click.

Make sense???? Easy fix????

Thanks!!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Drew, hang tight, there's some croppy goodness coming.

You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Drew, hang tight, there's some croppy goodness coming.
    Ooh- More random acts of improvement! Love it.
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2009
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/2009/09/11/sales-history-cropping-and-get-a-link-september-11th-2009/

By the way, Drew - for legal reasons we can't change the cropping 'return to order' button. I'm sorry.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2009
    Still not fixed, really, and a new error...
    Andy wrote:
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/2009/09/11/sales-history-cropping-and-get-a-link-september-11th-2009/

By the way, Drew - for legal reasons we can't change the cropping 'return to order' button. I'm sorry.

Thanks for the update! I am tweaking an order right now.

> you can now adjust cropping for large orders much more quickly because the crop page allows paging to the next image after saving a crop

Well, this is a change...just not sure how positive it is. Lets say I have an order with 5 images, then clicking through each image will be fine, even if it is unlikely I will need to adjust the crop of each one. More than likely, I am going to have an order of 62 images (which I do right now). There is NO way I am going to flip through each one looking at the crop because in this particular order, it just isn't necessary as it is a portrait and I cropped pretty closely int he camera. But even more typically, I would have an event where I might have cropped a little loosely making sure I could get 8x10s or 4x6 or just because it is an event. So, lets say the order has 200 images. I might need to crop maybe 20%...maybe more, but it will take a lot longer to flip through each image than it would be to have just allowed the "Save Crop" to return to put us back in the cart.

I think jut setting the crop should be saved, so that the option to go to the next image would in fact save the crop, or save the crop would also save but also drop back to the cart. If you legally have to have the "Return to Order" leave it, but also let the "Save Crop" return to order.

But another issue has just cropped up (no pun intended) with the Replace Image. After replacing the image, it is dropping me in the clients gallery, not my sales order, so I am having to "browse back" to before the replace image screen and potentially do a refresh (as I am actually looking an old page). Surely this isn't the correct behavior.

Drew
  • Options
    lokerd wrote:
    But another issue has just cropped up (no pun intended) with the Replace Image. After replacing the image, it is dropping me in the clients gallery, not my sales order, so I am having to "browse back"
    bug, we'll fix it
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    bug, we'll fix it

Thanks for the quick reply.

Also, another bug...about half the time I hit the arrow to go left or right after cropping and saving it returns a blank screen with done in the lower left corner.

FF 3.5.2

Refresh doesn't jump start the page...comes back blank. I am having to manually back out.

EDIT: And ANOTHER HUGE BUG!!!! When you do hit Return to Order, it takes you to the top of the page. THis is VERY bad. I think you all had that fixed form a long time ago. I mean, it used to do that (horible for long orders) but I think you fixed it. Well, it is broken again. Or, maybe I am just thinking of the solution I have been doing which is good, but the page is old. IOW, if I "Save Crop" then hit BACK, it takes me back to the page I was just working on at the exact point I left it...albeit old data. But at least it is better than hitting the "Return to Order" and it taking you to the TOP of the dang page. With it going back to the top of the page, the only way to get back down to the middle of an order where I left off is to start typing out the number (thanks to Firefox starting to search for it) to scroll to that point in the page. Maybe you all didn't ever fix that, and I had already gotten used to my work around...just tried the "Return to order" and realized what a PITA it is! Either way, it would be really nice for the "Return to Order" to put us were we left off.

Does that make sense?

Oh, and EDIT #2, there is a floating crop box on my screen...up close to where the list begins. Pretty sure it doesn't belong where it is...if at all. Hope it didn't belong to an image and I just messed up a cropping. I have save a screen shot that I will try to attach.

Drew
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    lokerd wrote:
    Thanks for the update! I am tweaking an order right now.

> you can now adjust cropping for large orders much more quickly because the crop page allows paging to the next image after saving a crop

Well, this is a change...just not sure how positive it is. Lets say I have an order with 5 images, then clicking through each image will be fine, even if it is unlikely I will need to adjust the crop of each one. More than likely, I am going to have an order of 62 images (which I do right now). There is NO way I am going to flip through each one looking at the crop because in this particular order, it just isn't necessary as it is a portrait and I cropped pretty closely int he camera. But even more typically, I would have an event where I might have cropped a little loosely making sure I could get 8x10s or 4x6 or just because it is an event. So, lets say the order has 200 images. I might need to crop maybe 20%...maybe more, but it will take a lot longer to flip through each image than it would be to have just allowed the "Save Crop" to return to put us back in the cart.

I think jut setting the crop should be saved, so that the option to go to the next image would in fact save the crop, or save the crop would also save but also drop back to the cart. If you legally have to have the "Return to Order" leave it, but also let the "Save Crop" return to order.

But another issue has just cropped up (no pun intended) with the Replace Image. After replacing the image, it is dropping me in the clients gallery, not my sales order, so I am having to "browse back" to before the replace image screen and potentially do a refresh (as I am actually looking an old page). Surely this isn't the correct behavior.

Drew

Hi Drew,

So you're correct, if you have a large order and don't intend on reviewing all crops on the crop page, you won't save any clicks with the new changes. You'll still click "Adjust crop" on the order page, adjust the crop, "Save Crop", and then click "Back to Order".

The replace feature will direct you back to the proof-delay page after our next release. I missed that piece when I changed the page. Sorry about that!

-Anne
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2009
    Hey Drew,

Thanks for the great feedback.
    lokerd wrote:
    Also, another bug...about half the time I hit the arrow to go left or right after cropping and saving it returns a blank screen with done in the lower left corner.

FF 3.5.2

Refresh doesn't jump start the page...comes back blank. I am having to manually back out.

Is this coming from a proof-delayed order? Any chance you can send an email to our Help Desk ATTN: Anne with some extra info? In particular, I'd like to see the URL that's pulling up a blank screen for you. I haven't been able to replicate this behavior.
    lokerd wrote:
    When you do hit Return to Order, it takes you to the top of the page. THis is VERY bad.

Hmmm... I can see why it would be very helpful to arrive at the exact part of the order you were working on, but I don't think this functionality was in the previous version either.

Yup, I just went to double-check and I'm not seeing that behavior at all. So for the moment, I'm going to file this as a feature request. It's possible I'll be able to add it with the bug fixes coming, but I'm not sure yet.
    lokerd wrote:
    there is a floating crop box on my screen...up close to where the list begins. Pretty sure it doesn't belong where it is...if at all. Hope it didn't belong to an image and I just messed up a cropping. I have save a screen shot that I will try to attach.

I believe this is unrelated to this release, and is a bug that comes up when you replace an image with one that is not the same dimensions. We definitely plan on fixing this, but we always do recommend tweaking crops AFTER you replace an image because we really can't guess how your previous crop applies to a different sized image (though we really should guess that you'd like the crop to still be ON the image. eek7.gif )

-Anne

EDITED TO ADD: I double-checked the order you took a screen shot from, and the crops should be fine for printing. In fact, I don't see a wayward crop box at all. So no worries there!
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2009
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    I believe this is unrelated to this release, and is a bug that comes up when you replace an image with one that is not the same dimensions. We definitely plan on fixing this, but we always do recommend tweaking crops AFTER you replace an image because we really can't guess how your previous crop applies to a different sized image (though we really should guess that you'd like the crop to still be ON the image. eek7.gif )

Well, I haven't been back on the suspect computer but for just a minute. I did notice that I had FF 3.5.2 on that computer...so I know I need to bump it up to 3.5.3. BUT, I had not replaced that image. In fact, I had not even tweaked the crop on the image that the "floating" crop box was next to. If it came from anywhere, it would have come from way down the screen. But it looked like to me more of a random box rather than one that had broken loose from my order.

Drew
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2009
    Just rolled out some fixes....

- After replacing a photo from an order page, you should be automatically taken back to the order page.

- You should be able to flip through photos you're cropping from a proof-delayed order without any blank screens.

Please let us know if you still see any problems! thumb.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2010
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Please let us know if you still see any problems! thumb.gif

-Anne

Hello. I am still having some trouble with the cropping in an order overview. I have atatched a small screen shot of an order. When I click on the item to double check the crop, it is fine. This is in Firefox, version 3.5.6. It appears even if I close out of the order and come back to it. And, there are several in that order that look like that.

The problem does NOT appear in IE.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2010
    lokerd wrote:
    Hello. I am still having some trouble with the cropping in an order overview. I have atatched a small screen shot of an order. When I click on the item to double check the crop, it is fine. This is in Firefox, version 3.5.6. It appears even if I close out of the order and come back to it. And, there are several in that order that look like that.

The problem does NOT appear in IE.
    Order #?
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Order #?

Well, the problem seems resolved. When this problem first appeared, I was back on 3.5.3 or something...and I updated then and it still appeared. But FF 3.5.7 was just released in the last day or so...and it appears to have fixed it. Unless something else is going on and a restart cleared up.

At any rate, the issue is moot.

Thanks!