Options

cards to take

happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in Weddings
Just curious,

What size cards do you take and how many? Also, what size image are you storing (because obviously, images shot in RAW on a 15MP camera are going to be larger than jpgs on 8MP camera.)

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Just curious,

What size cards do you take and how many? Also, what size image are you storing (because obviously, images shot in RAW on a 15MP camera are going to be larger than jpgs on 8MP camera.)

I shoot a 5dMk2. I use 8gb cards. 22 MP Raws....I take 8 cards with me for a wedding at 8gb. My 2nd Camera is a Ddmk1 and I take another 8 4gb cards. I might not use all of them but they go with me. They're numbered, get used in numeric order. The ones for my Mk2 are numbered #200-215 and my Mk1 Cards are number 100-130 (yes, I have 30 4gb cards). All my old 2gb cards are in my studio for portrait work.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    ChatKat wrote:
    I shoot a 5dMk2. I use 8gb cards. 22 MP Raws....I take 8 cards with me for a wedding at 8gb. My 2nd Camera is a Ddmk1 and I take another 8 4gb cards. I might not use all of them but they go with me. They're numbered, get used in numeric order. The ones for my Mk2 are numbered #200-215 and my Mk1 Cards are number 100-130 (yes, I have 30 4gb cards). All my old 2gb cards are in my studio for portrait work.

I also shoot a 5D2, and shoot in RAW. I typically fill 4-5 8GB cards. I will adjust my RAW settings to RAW1 or even RAW2 if I am shooting scenes I know won't be printed at anything larger than a 8x10 (stuff like the reception dancing, anytime where the couple may want the images, but won't necessarily be reproducing them at any substantial size.) All that said, I always have at least double the number of cards I need on hand. I also backup as I can to a computer and USB drive while traveling inbetween venues/locations. Before I even leave a reception, I have my full set of cards, a full set of files on the laptop, and another full set on a USB 1TB hard drive. Overkill? Perhaps, but I haven't lost a file yet.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    This is another variation of the religeous question about all your eggs in one basket or risk having trouble keeping track of all your baskets and risk damaging your camera with frequent card swaps. I'm a "lots of little baskets" kinda guy though I think I may be moving closer and closer to the big basket camp. mwink.gif

I also use a 5D2 but I don't know where Kathy get's the 22MB figure for the size of her RAW files. Mine start at about 22MB and I've seen plenty that run into the low 30's.

I will arrive at a wedding with the 5D2 and a 50D (RAW here run from 18MB to about 27MB) with 10 4GB (each gets me about 170 images from the 5D2) cards and 10 2GB cards as "just in case I need them". I don't worry about numbering them. I format all the cards (using the cameras) the night before and then carry all the blank cards in pockets on my right side. When I exhaust a card, it comes out of the camera an into a pocket on my left side. I've not yet used all my 4GB cards at a single event though I've come close at times.

Because I've run into the "Full CF" notice a few times with the 5D2, I've been considering getting 4 or 8 8GB cards before my next all day event.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    Two 16 gig cards in my D3, one is a backup. 90% of the wedding is shot with the D3.
    Then a 4gig in the d700 and a 4 gig in the d300. I have 6 more 4 gig cards I bring along in the bag but I never need to change a card during a wedding anymore.

After everything is processed I delete all the raws and save only the processed jpegs at full resolution. I only keep copies of the photos that are given to the clients.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    I'm a 16GB sort of girl too. I get too annoyed then I run out of cards / memory in an inconvenient moment. I know some people shoot with 2 / 4 GB cards because they are too scared that the card breaks and they loose their entire set. I totally understand that concern, but luckily the D3 has a double-write option (so you can have it put the photos on 2 cards while shooting). thumb.gif

I usually bring in a whole lot more cards with me just because I've had some break down on me ... so I have 3x16GB, 2x8BG, 2x4GB, 4x2GB cards with me at all times. deal.gif
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    I also use a 5D2 but I don't know where Kathy get's the 22MB figure for the size of her RAW files. Mine start at about 22MB and I've seen plenty that run into the low 30's.

Scott, you read too fast. I did not say MB. I said MP. The 5dmk2 shoots 22 Megapixel images. I get about 200 RAW's on an 8 gig card and about 100 on a 4 gig card. As a girl, I don't have pockets,and I use a shootsac for weddings and a card wallet but I used card numbers for several reasons:

1. The cards never get confused - ever. They get used in order. Numbers show on the outside of the pocket unused and the card label outside of the pocket once used.
    2. I know which card from which camera by looking at the card
    3. I know the date I put the card in service
    4. I keep my cards until the job is delivered in addition to my backups.
    5. I also keep a log of what cards are used for what jobs
    6. I always put new cards in both cameras before the ceremony and take a few test photos and chimp.
    7. I would be able to retire a bad card since I would know right away the history and use of that card.

I know too many photographers who use the pocket method and have lost cards. My card wallet is secured to the inside of my shootsac on a wedding day and never leaves my body.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    ChatKat wrote:
    Scott, you read too fast. I did not say MB. I said MP. The 5dmk2 shoots 22 Megapixel images. I get about 200 RAW's on an 8 gig card and about 100 on a 4 gig card. As a girl, I don't have pockets,and I use a shootsac for weddings and a card wallet but I used card numbers for several reasons:

1. The cards never get confused - ever. They get used in order. Numbers show on the outside of the pocket unused and the card label outside of the pocket once used.
    2. I know which card from which camera by looking at the card
    3. I know the date I put the card in service
    4. I keep my cards until the job is delivered in addition to my backups.
    5. I also keep a log of what cards are used for what jobs
    6. I always put new cards in both cameras before the ceremony and take a few test photos and chimp.
    7. I would be able to retire a bad card since I would know right away the history and use of that card.

I know too many photographers who use the pocket method and have lost cards. My card wallet is secured to the inside of my shootsac on a wedding day and never leaves my body.
    Opps - sorry about that. You're right, I did translate the MP to "MB".

Only 200 5D2 on an 8GB card? I'll have to go take a look at what I got on my 4GB from my last gig - I've still got the photos on the cards!

EDIT: I looked and found two cards that I shot to capacity (from what I understand, not a good practice) and they had 153 and 155 RAW files from my 5D2.

And, I knew there would be an accounting reason for the serial numbers on the cards. Among other things, I can see this as a way of determining brand reliability trends. Nice.

As for loosing cards - hasn't happened .... yet eek7.gif But, this might be something I need to better investigate. Thanks for the warning.
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Wow...and I thought that I shoot alot! eek7.gif You are some shutter happy folk! I only fill up 12-18GB with my D700(12-bit, lossless). One 8GB SD Extreme 5 (FASSSST), and a soon to be retired 16GB(for another couple 8GB's)
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    I definitely think it's personal preference. I have two 32GB cards. I use #1 until after the ceremony and portrait shots, then I change to #2 for the reception. I also carry a ton of 8 GB cards as back ups, so I never run out. It may seem like overkill, but it works for me.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    RicherSeaRicherSea Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    I use 2GB cards shooting 8MP images since i am firmly in the "i don't want to loose all my photos in one go" camp, but that's because i mainly shoot watersports from small boats. Fit about 200 images on each card, and allow five cards a day at a busy event.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    I typically get a little over 300 photos per 8GB card with my 5D Mk II's. I shoot RAW only though, not sure if you folks are shooting RAW + JPG.

I have 6 8GB's and 3 or 4 4GB's I bring w/ me to each wedding. I never touch the 4GB's as the 6 8GB's are plenty I find (3 per camera, one in camera, and two in the holder pouches on my neck strap... best neck strap ever, I never have to run back to my bag when I need more memory)

I wish the 5D Mk II had the double write feature of the D3. I'd totally do that.