EZ Print VS Mpix

digitalmoneydigitalmoney Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited September 16, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Guys,

I am thinking about to get a pro account from smugmug but I am not sure about EZ Print's photo quality. Anyone order photos from both Mpix and EZ Print? How would you compare their glossy, matte, lustre, and Metallic paper?

Would EZ Print be kind enough to mail out some sample photos of each type of paper they have like Mpix did?

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Guys,

I am thinking about to get a pro account from smugmug but I am not sure about EZ Print's photo quality. Anyone order photos from both Mpix and EZ Print? How would you compare their glossy, matte, lustre, and Metallic paper?

Would EZ Print be kind enough to same out some photo sample of each type of paper they have like Mpix did?

I have ordered prints from both, and have had mixed results from both, but if you have been happy with Mpix I think you would be happy with EZprints.

The metallic from both is good, same with luster, and gloss. B & W can be problematic.

If your getting a Pro account, and quality is the priority, check out SmugMugs new Pro lab option.

Sam
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
  • sprynmrsprynmr Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Guys,

Would EZ Print be kind enough to same out some photo sample of each type of paper they have like Mpix did?

I might go a different direction. Just got married and both my Mom and mother in law ordered photos from ez print. Both of them said the quality was absolutely awful. We also ordered ours from there, and I'm hoping its not the same result (I picked true color, while they picked auto.)

Happy about everything else smugmug... but a little mad if the printer they "picked" from those surveys is that bad.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    sprynmr wrote:
    I might go a different direction. Just got married and both my Mom and mother in law ordered photos from ez print. Both of them said the quality was absolutely awful. We also ordered ours from there, and I'm hoping its not the same result (I picked true color, while they picked auto.)

Happy about everything else smugmug... but a little mad if the printer they "picked" from those surveys is that bad.

ne_nau.gif I've gotten some excellent prints from EZPrints over the years (including some awesome metallics this week). I'd wonder if the photos were properly exposed and color corrected before I blamed the printer for "absolutely awful."
    edited January 30, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    ne_nau.gif I've gotten some excellent prints from EZPrints over the years (including some awesome metallics this week). I'd wonder if the photos were properly exposed and color corrected before I blamed the printer for "absolutely awful."

I guess I should have mentioned that the photos were taken by an expensive, professional photographer. Properly exposed, and adjusted.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    sprynmr wrote:
    I guess I should have mentioned that the photos were taken by an expensive, professional photographer. Properly exposed, and adjusted.
    It does seem like from time to time there are reports of EZPrints delivering less-than-ideal results. From the noise level, it doesn't sound like it happens a lot, but I've seen other postings of that here and I'm sure there are more than we hear about here in dgrin. But, Smugmug has the 100% guarantee so you can get them reprinted and when they are reprinted, it seems like someone will typically look at them manually to give you a better shot of getting good prints the 2nd time. I'm not making excuses for EZPrints, just saying there are some options if the first printing isn't quite right.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited January 31, 2009
    sprynmr wrote:
    So, I saw the order. Some photos were underexposed and too-red. Not properly exposed, not properly adjusted and the skin tone too -red. Example, http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/7084201_bdRXN#454077658_JSSPw

I can see some in the photographer gallery, taken w/ 5D, that are in need of some major color cast correction :)

You also ordered glossy paper, which is the consumer grade paper, Lustre is the best finish at EZP.

We'd be happy to reprint these at our new pro lab if you like,just holler :D
    edited January 31, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    It does seem like from time to time there are reports of EZPrints delivering less-than-ideal results.

Time To Time, sure :) We've printed zillions of orders over nearly 5 years, and the quality is outstanding. Our return rate on sometimes 10,000 orders in a week is in the 10 or 20 range, and of these, MOST (nearly all) are due to photographer not lab. The consistency and quality has been great.

We have more raves than we can possibly list, a few are here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=456689#post456689

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we have a new pro lab with Bay Photo, as it will bring many more options, hand color correction being a huge one, beefed up packaging, and new products, too...

But EZPrints quality is some of the very, very best out there. And yes, I put my money where my mouth is, since I have personally sold professionally through EZPrints for the past nearly five years as well.
    edited January 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    So, I saw the order. Some photos were underexposed and too-red. Not properly exposed, not properly adjusted and the skin tone too -red. Example, http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/7084201_bdRXN#454077658_JSSPw

I can see some in the photographer gallery, taken w/ 5D, that are in need of some major color cast correction :)

You also ordered glossy paper, which is the consumer grade paper, Lustre is the best finish at EZP.

Yea I think the underexposed / too red ones were my Mom's photos. I like the example you picked. mwink.gif

I just received mine and I don't see any big problems with them. Of course I got lustre and didn't have the "auto" color-adjustment selected. I get the impression the auto coloring did some funny things with their pictures. Mine pretty much look as I expected them to, and very close to what I see on the screen.

I believe you are talking about the church pictures from the 5D that have a bit of a peach color cast on them. I'm wondering if that was a stylish thing on the photog's end, or if it just wasn't adjusted properly. I actually kind of like it but the mothers hated it and said it was very exaggerated on their photos. Both of them told me a lot of their photos were "awful"... after I suggested using EZprint through smugmug. Unfortunately I'm not anywhere near them to check them out.

But I would definitely be interested in getting both mothers orders re-done through the "pro" lab on lustre, and I'll cover whatever additional costs are required. Let me know how I can set that up.

I appreciate your response Andy!

Best,
    Robert
    edited January 31, 2009
    sprynmr wrote:
    I appreciate your response Andy!

Best,
    Robert
    Email me at our help desk, on Monday, ATTN: Andy, with the photos you want (links) thumb.gif
  • digitalmoneydigitalmoney Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 11, 2009
    Pupator wrote:

Not trying to be rude or anything... but your respond is not really the answer to my question. I just wanted to know if EZPrints would step up to the game like Mpix... Mpix mailed me sample photos of each type of paper they use.

All my photos from Mpix are great ... what I see on my monitor is what I get. Thanks for your help tho thumb.gif
  • digitalmoneydigitalmoney Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Time To Time, sure :) We've printed zillions of orders over nearly 5 years, and the quality is outstanding. Our return rate on sometimes 10,000 orders in a week is in the 10 or 20 range, and of these, MOST (nearly all) are due to photographer not lab. The consistency and quality has been great.

We have more raves than we can possibly list, a few are here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=456689#post456689

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we have a new pro lab with Bay Photo, as it will bring many more options, hand color correction being a huge one, beefed up packaging, and new products, too...

But EZPrints quality is some of the very, very best out there. And yes, I put my money where my mouth is, since I have personally sold professionally through EZPrints for the past nearly five years as well.

Is it possible that Smugmug.com would consider to work with Mpix.com ? I never heard of EZprint until now (sorry) but I've been a customer with Mpix for almost two years now and they never let me down.

Another question about EZprint is that ... they say that if I am not happy with my order then I can reorder them again... do I have to pay the shipping on that 2nd order or?
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 11, 2009
    Is it possible that Smugmug.com would consider to work with Mpix.com ? I never heard of EZprint until now (sorry) but I've been a customer with Mpix for almost two years now and they never let me down.

Another question about EZprint is that ... they say that if I am not happy with my order then I can reorder them again... do I have to pay the shipping on that 2nd order or?

We had so many problems in our print comparison test with their color correction that I highly doubt we will partner with them anytime soon. While our prints from the Pro labs did not vary much, Mpix prints were all over the place. We could order a print one day, order the exact same one the next day, and they would look vastly different. Even their best color correction fell short of WHCC, Bay Photo, and ProDPI.

http://smugmug.com/photos/pro-print-labs-compared/
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited February 11, 2009
    Mpix mailed me sample photos of each type of paper they use.

We have samples if you would like? Just holler to our heroes. http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:

thumb.gif Andy, you and the entire Smugmug crew prove the best customer service over and over.
    Steve

Website
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    BAD BAD experience with EZ prints!
    I am in the midst of a very bad experience with EZ prints. I made an order 2.5 weeks ago...got a confirmation email (this order was for $139 bucks mind you) and thought I was good to go! I waited about 1 week and never got a mailing confirmation (they mentioned in my confirmation email that I would receive notice when the order shipped). Anyway, no mailing confirmation so I decided to email customer service about this. I was needing these prints for a project that was due in a month so I wanted to make sure all was fine. Anyway, got an email from customer service (Lydia) that my order could not be located on the system, and was told I'd get a response in 24-72 hours. Fine. I was happy things would at least be moving.....Fastforward 24, 48, 72 ok...way past 72 hours and no email. I re-emailed and did not receive a response in what I considered a reasonable time considering my situation and already long wait! Finally I re-emailed again (my 4th email!) a few days later and FINALLY got the same response that this would be looked into! Now I am in need of these prints in one week and want to get this situation dealt with! I don't want to reorder elsewhere and then have my $139 order show up on my doorstep! I am in a bind. Waiting to hear what is up with my order and STILL in limbo! I need to make another order SOON or get these prints already! I'm NOT at all happy with EZ prints. I thought this was a reputable company. I searched and searched for a lab that used Endura prof paper, as I had a combination order of metallic and lustre finishes. I live in Europe and they offered reasonable shipping prices. I am so very very very disppointed and VERY frustrated!
    edited September 16, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    I am in the midst of a very bad experience with EZ prints. I made an order 2.5 weeks ago...got a confirmation email (this order was for $139 bucks mind you) and thought I was good to go! I waited about 1 week and never got a mailing confirmation (they mentioned in my confirmation email that I would receive notice when the order shipped). Anyway, no mailing confirmation so I decided to email customer service about this. I was needing these prints for a project that was due in a month so I wanted to make sure all was fine. Anyway, got an email from customer service (Lydia) that my order could not be located on the system, and was told I'd get a response in 24-72 hours. Fine. I was happy things would at least be moving.....Fastforward 24, 48, 72 ok...way past 72 hours and no email. I re-emailed and did not receive a response in what I considered a reasonable time considering my situation and already long wait! Finally I re-emailed again (my 4th email!) a few days later and FINALLY got the same response that this would be looked into! Now I am in need of these prints in one week and want to get this situation dealt with! I don't want to reorder elsewhere and then have my $139 order show up on my doorstep! I am in a bind. Waiting to hear what is up with my order and STILL in limbo! I need to make another order SOON or get these prints already! I'm NOT at all happy with EZ prints. I thought this was a reputable company. I searched and searched for a lab that used Endura prof paper, as I had a combination order of metallic and lustre finishes. I live in Europe and they offered reasonable shipping prices. I am so very very very disppointed and VERY frustrated!
    Double post - handling here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1213602#post1213602