Options

Pricing Prints

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited September 16, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Basic story line is this: I'm a new photographer and lately have been doing TFCDs for "models" (a loose terminology because so far they're not so much into the modeling business as posing to have their picture taken for free) so I can practice and teach msyelf. I have a Combined Model Release/TFCD Contract, and one of these models have been showing her gallery around and have gotten me emails about doing photo shoots and pricing.

The first email is from a woman who hasn't had her picture taken in a while, and she wants to pose with her 2 teenage kids. It seems to me that budget is an issue. Since I'm not comfortable charging for a shoot yet anyway, I told her I'd do it for free (haven't done a group shot before, so it'll be a new challenge) but that prints, albums, CD are additional costs.

My questions are:
a) How much should I charge for prints? I have been cruising around other photographers in Houston and a la carte prints are about $6 for 4x 6 etc, but they normally have package deals (which I do not).

b) Should I draw up a contract that states that while I am shooting for free, there are costs for additional products? Of course, I understand that if none of the pictures please her, she doesn't have to buy any prints. I should probably put that in the contract too if I do have one.

Thank you guys in advance for your help! And any other advice is very much appreciated! I am meeting this client on Saturday to discuss this more and I wanted to have something solid to give her.

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Yes you should draw up a contract that is very clear as to what is paid for, when payment is due, and how payments are made.

Personally I charge sitting fees and throw in X number of prints. It is just easier that way.

If you want to charge for prints, you are going to have to guess how many they may buy and figure out your costs that way.

Keep in mind that most people will be more than happy to view the images and share them with friends and never buy, so only keep the images online for a short period of time.
    Steve

Website