Options

Saving a Transparent Background

B643B643 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited September 16, 2009 in Finishing School
I have an image I want to use as a logo in several photos. I removed the background and made it transparent. However, when I saved the image, it reverts to a white background. I tried saving as .jpg and .gif. How do I save this and keep the transparent background?

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Did you flatten before saving? If you did flatten then the transparency was forced to opaque.
    JPG will never work. It has zero support for transparency/alpha channels.
    GIF has limited support, since you can only make one color transparent. And if you didn't designate that color during export, there is no transparency.
    PNG would be best. Try starting with a layered (non-flattened) image and saving to PNG with the alpha channel enabled.
  • Options
    B643B643 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    Did you flatten before saving? If you did flatten then the transparency was forced to opaque.
    JPG will never work. It has zero support for transparency/alpha channels.
    GIF has limited support, since you can only make one color transparent. And if you didn't designate that color during export, there is no transparency.
    PNG would be best. Try starting with a layered (non-flattened) image and saving to PNG with the alpha channel enabled.

Thank you for your prompt response. I will try your suggestion. And yes I did flatten the image, and yes the transparency became opaque.